• RMweb Premium

You could mount a small double-shafted motor transversally, like the prototype, and drive each axle either via a Delrin chain or O ring to a spool on the axle.

Dava

Edited by Dava

You could power it with one of these motor/gearbox units.

post-494-0-30605600-1515155907.jpg

Available from various ebay sellers for under a tenner. The motor is about 10x15mm and would be powerful enough to move the loco and up to 3 wagons. A a pair of thinned Delrin sprockets on the shaft and one on each axle should be easy enough to do.

Boy, that was quick. Nice to see one of the Simplex locos printed.

As for a drive system , that is something I have been concerned about, as 5ft 6in wheel base is less than most r2r bogies in most scales.

I think the P4 motor gear referred to is one based on the motors Nigel Lawton uses in his OO9 models. Have a look on his website, as I seem to remember an article about how one was put together.

I am looking for something to power a G1 version, and had considered various small motors and belt drives.

For O gauge wheelbase is about 39mm, so it might be possible to get a SPUD or similar with extended axles.

As I am looking at ways of motorizing various locos in G1 and HO, I have bought some small Hornby motors and gears. The small one fitted to the standard Hornby 0-6-0 tank loco, might be OK. Just need to design a gearbox framework. Alternatively the whole unit used in the Hornby Pacer train , would only need an extended axle and wagon wheels. A few years ago I managed to fit Slaters(?) O gauge whhels to an old Triang Hornby dock shunter chassis/motor, so I think the axle width is OK.

I have found another way with a G1 model, and that is a 60hp version of the loco with a 6ft 6in wheelbase. I am not sure if any were actually built, no photos, but a nice drawing in WJK Davies book. The cab is the same, but the bonnets(?) are slightly extended. In effect the loco is 12in longer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Boy, that was quick. Nice to see one of the Simplex locos printed.

As for a drive system , that is something I have been concerned about, as 5ft 6in wheel base is less than most r2r bogies in most scales.

I think the P4 motor gear referred to is one based on the motors Nigel Lawton uses in his OO9 models. Have a look on his website, as I seem to remember an article about how one was put together.

I am looking for something to power a G1 version, and had considered various small motors and belt drives.

For O gauge wheelbase is about 39mm, so it might be possible to get a SPUD or similar with extended axles.

As I am looking at ways of motorizing various locos in G1 and HO, I have bought some small Hornby motors and gears. The small one fitted to the standard Hornby 0-6-0 tank loco, might be OK. Just need to design a gearbox framework. Alternatively the whole unit used in the Hornby Pacer train , would only need an extended axle and wagon wheels. A few years ago I managed to fit Slaters(?) O gauge whhels to an old Triang Hornby dock shunter chassis/motor, so I think the axle width is OK.

I have found another way with a G1 model, and that is a 60hp version of the loco with a 6ft 6in wheelbase. I am not sure if any were actually built, no photos, but a nice drawing in WJK Davies book. The cab is the same, but the bonnets(?) are slightly extended. In effect the loco is 12in longer.

Thanks Simon - have a couple of ideas for powering it, and have ordered some parts so watch this space. 

With regards to the 60hp 6' 6" w/b variant - these were never built, it was just a proposed design. They did go on to produce a 65hp variant with a 5' 11" w/b, which is also featured in the WJK Davies book - 

d84a511612fd9268ba507c78af1d50b2--old-tr

These were then modified to this type here as demonstrated here by Motor Rail 4WD 5755 of 1948 (also MR 3896 of 1935 in distance) at Esso Bitumen Terminal, Harrison's Wharf, Purfleet, Essex - 25/03/1961: 

6126638241_40b1360481_b.jpg

I did note that the shape of the cab on the print is wrong - illustrated nicely here by a photo of 'Burt' at the Amberley Museum: 

2663352063_df4425c251_b.jpg

Note that there is a 'peak' to the roof, rather than how it is curved on the model. Different from the drawing shown in WJK Davies book, but I'm going to assume that that was a pre-production drawing maybe? There are certainly plenty of differences between each of the prototypes in preservation - lovely little machines though! 

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 5

One thing about industrial locos is that there were often small and big variations. I plan to do some of the enclosed designs, where there was even more variations, some factory and some locally built, and then there were those ones converted by other companies using decommissions WW1 Tin Turtles. Looking at some photos and each one had different number of handrails/roof pillars(?).

I had assumed the 60hp version never went into production, but no reason why it should not appear as a model, especially as it is easier to motorize. It is interesting that the drawing of a non built loco is better than the one actually produced.

One small(?)detail that also varies is step position. As to why you would want one in middle when that is not best position to climb, but nothing on side where you want one. Just noticed Burt' has replacent hand rail/supports. I only did these on the O and G1 ones as they are a bit thin, and easy to add .

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

I have a part built ABS standard gauge tin tab it fits on a beetle chassis. I should get round to finish it.

I have never actually seen a photo of a prototype.

Marc

https://chasewaterrailwaymuseum.blog/category/from-the-archive/

About two thirds of the way through the film at the bottom of the page the ex Pitt Rail Aldridge ex 2’ WD planet can been seen, last place I knew it was at Nottingham Sleeper Co but I have no idea where it is now.

First model I designed was a WW1 narrow gauge Tin Turtle in 1/35th scale. I did various versions, including ones that could be converted to standard gauge. I do like the look of it with the buffers, so will have to up it to 1/32. There is also a version with the original body on the heavier standard gauge chassis. I will have to do quite a few design changes for that.

The single ended versionalso looks interesting, and there is a drawing in the book.As it is slightly longer, a chassis might be easier as well.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

Somewhere I have seen a photo of the SG Tin Turtle that used to be at Beamish - I'll have look in my books later for it. Seem to recall though that it's now been back-converted to NG and now on display at Duxford?

IIRC it was one of the armoured ones, so different to the Wrightlines kits. I think that it came from a sewage works?

• RMweb Premium

Like the 7mm scale one at the bottom of this page I guess:     https://www.martynwelch.com/gallery-4-diesel-electric/

Martyn's model was a Wrightlines kit, running on a Tenshodo Spud mechanism converted to Scaleseven standard gauge.

It was fully described in Model Railway Journal No.77, back in 1995.

Just in case anybody is interested....

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

With all this interest in the topic, here's hoping to see some progress on the Burneside Tramway layout project soon....! I reckon foamboard would work well for some of those stone mill buildings.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

With all this interest in the topic, here's hoping to see some progress on the Burneside Tramway layout project soon....! I reckon foamboard would work well for some of those stone mill buildings.

Dava

Thanks Dava - I think there will be some form of Burneside layout at some point in the future, but probably as a micro-layout.

Agreed about the foam board though - I've got plenty of it stashed away in readiness :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That roof was getting at me, so I altered it slightly, looks better. Looking at various photos and there are loads of small variations between locos, original, modified and original.

I think I could happily build a layout , just with different types of standard gauge Simplex locos. At least they are not that big, even in Gauge One. The converted Tin Turtle would be easier to motorise. sg-simplex-loco-1a.jpg

• Like 3

That roof was getting at me, so I altered it slightly, looks better. Looking at various photos and there are loads of small variations between locos, original, modified and original.

I think I could happily build a layout , just with different types of standard gauge Simplex locos. At least they are not that big, even in Gauge One. The converted Tin Turtle would be easier to motorise. sg-simplex-loco-1a.jpg

I think the axleboxe area and springs need attention too. There's far too much arc in the springs and there are no axleguards. Unless it's the version with the radius rods, in which case the axlebox shape needs reshaping and detail adding, plus the radius rods need to be added and the bottom of the frame needs altering.