Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Bob Hill ( Northampton )

cobbler

Bob Hill passed away on Saturday 3rd December a long illness.

Bob was well known around the local shows in the Northamptonshire area in the 1980-90s exhibiting his very popular Thomas the Tank Engine layout and his second hand stall.

Many of his Thomas locos were converted from RTR with faces constructed from modelling clay and repainted.

Bob also repaired stock for local model shops and private repairs.

Richard Coleman

Friend of Bobs since 1982, married to his Daughter since 1995 !

Sorry to hear that. Bob was a permanent fixture at virtually every show in Northants in the 90s with his interpretation of Sodor, invariably the most popular attraction and one which spawned numerous lookalikes. My own kids were amused and never tired of it and I'd like to think it inspired at least a few of those youngsters who saw it.

RIP Bob.

Hello

I had known Bob for many years and always found him to be one of the good guys. it was through him organising so many local shows that I got my start on the exhibition circuit. RIP 

Cheers

George

I first met Bob in the early 90s when I was helping my dad helping my dad with his EM gauge layout, Coedway, a layout that Bob was very fond of. I got to know Bob quite well and he even allowed me to assist with his Thomas the Tank Engine layout.

Who remembers the working crane with the container of tar? Such great fun playing with that!

Bob was always a friendly and helpful man and never had a bad bone in his body. Such a great person who will be sadly missed.

RIP Bob.

It was Cranky the crane, Bob motorised an old Dinky, I think, diecast dockside crane model, it swung around and lifted.

It was very popular with the kids, lifting a container of tar ( old film canister )

Happy memories

Richard

Archived