LBSCR GIRDER BRIDGE COLOUR

Could any bright spark out there please tell me what colour the LBSCR would have painted a girder bridge circa 1905/1908. 

Hi Craig.  I can't comment specifically on the LBSCR, but many years ago i was led to believe (by a now deceased civil engineer member of the HMRS) that prior to around the 1920's the only protective paint available was red oxide and so most bridges were that colour.  That is not to say that some companies may have painted their preferred colour over the red oxide.

Jim

Cannot offer evidence as such, but bridges at Lewes were grey with red oxide edges and lined grey panels, or at least till the1890's. I had a description of the livery of the station as well, but it was a non standard Swiss Chalet style, and the colours may not have been standard.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig,

According to "Southern Style - Part 2, LB&SCR"

"Overbridge In Suburban areas they appear to be covered in advertising or in the appropriate location adverts for Elevated Electrical services; otherwise light grey."

Gary

Hi Craig,

According to "Southern Style - Part 2, LB&SCR"

"Overbridge In Suburban areas they appear to be covered in advertising or in the appropriate location adverts for Elevated Electrical services; otherwise light grey."

Gary

Thanks to one and all for the info. Will probably stick to plain grey with red oxide edges.

Cheers,

Craig.

Archived