'LINEAS CUBANAS' - Cuban Lines

Lineas Cubanas

Hello, Matt. Below is a link to a producer of EMD G8s. Which of them would be closest to a FCC G8?  Here's the link: http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/BRM_Series_1_T_Class.htm

Thanks,

Tom Holley

Hi Tom

Yes, Auscisonmodels produce a model that can be used as EMD Export G8 Loco.

I did initially look at the Victorian T Class (Series 1) which I believe comes with DCC and Sound. I would probably go for one of the ERA 1(1955 -1957) models as the Cuban G8s were built in 1960.

You can also look at the G12/G8 produced by Frateschi. However, I think this is OO scale so is slightly overscale for HO but is definitely a cheaper option.

http://www.frateschi.com.br/web/loco-g12-g8/?lang=en

I was very fortunate in that my model was built by a friend in Cuba on a Stewart chassis. I have added DCC and Sound

post-30675-0-08843000-1488796862.png

Are you thinking of modelling the FCC and Cuba?

• Like 2

I have to be honest.....the hardstanding area is Concrete Wall paper by Scale Scenes but I guess its done a good job of creating the illusion I wanted.....

In which case you have used it more effectively than anyone else I've seen! ;)

• Like 1

On 06/03/2017 at 07:59, PaulRhB said:

Very nice modelling Matt, can your scenes be linked up to make a bigger show layout?

On 03/03/2017 at 23:38, 298 said:

Yes, very nice work. But will we he able to see it at a show...? I now have some stock that may be suitable....

Thank you for the compliments

Yes, they can be linked together.

The first diorama (Canta Rana) really was just a practice, something to test my skills to see if I could achieve a decent representation of Cuba.

My switching layout (Escenas Habanasis intended for exhibitions although I have a lot of work to do on it before its ready!

I should probably say its only 6' x 2' (not 8' x 2' as the track plan shows)

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

That is some of the best weathering I have ever seen. Absolutely outstanding work.

Regards,

Tom Holley

Unfortunately, I cannot claim the credit for the weathering on those locos

They were done by a friend and if anyone is interested in getting a bit of help with weathering etc

Please contact me off list and I will put you in touch with him

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

Hi Tom

Yes, Auscisonmodels produce a model that can be used as EMD Export G8 Loco.

I did initially look at the Victorian T Class (Series 1) which I believe comes with DCC and Sound. I would probably go for one of the ERA 1(1955 -1957) models as the Cuban G8s were built in 1960.

You can also look at the G12/G8 produced by Frateschi. However, I think this is OO scale so is slightly overscale for HO but is definitely a cheaper option.

http://www.frateschi.com.br/web/loco-g12-g8/?lang=en

I was very fortunate in that my model was built by a friend in Cuba on a Stewart chassis. I have added DCC and Sound

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-03-06 at 10.21.55.png

Are you thinking of modelling the FCC and Cuba?

Hello, Matt. I sent you a private message. Regards, Tom Holley

Who makes the models of the East German rail buses in message 41?

Not to common anymore and one (4221) was seriously damaged in a ahead on collision with a cane train a couple of weeks ago.

The East German DRC are by Sachsenmodelle. I got the original model off Peter Smith. Its been weathered and I have added DCC and Sound.

I believe Roco currently make a similar model that comes with DCC and Sound but would require re painting.

;) we were saying similar at the weekend about weathering wagons sometimes it just comes together and you're not quite sure how!

That's why I haven't weathered my GMD-1 yet.

Bit more weathering, but more weathering, bit more.... .

The East German DRC are by Sachsenmodelle. I got the original model off Peter Smith. Its been weathered and I have added DCC and Sound.

I believe Roco currently make a similar model that comes with DCC and Sound but would require re painting.

Thanks, the Roco have slightly different windows though

for a video of one, latterly involved in a head on collision with a cane train.
  • Like 1

Thanks, the Roco have slightly different windows though

for a video of one, latterly involved in a head on collision with a cane train.

Thats Zaza Del Medio in the video, I believe?

I have previously designed a layout based on Zaza del Medio and the line running across the bridge over Rio Zaza to Tuinucu and the sugar mill (Cai Melanio Hernandez). It also features the Talleres MINAZ Prov nearby.

post-30675-0-66190400-1489053737.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

Thats Zaza Del Medio in the video, I believe?

Coincidentally for the third part of Lineas Cubanas, I have designed a room sized shelf layout based on Zaza del Medio and the line running across the bridge over Rio Zaza to Tuinucu and the sugar mill (Cai Melanio Hernandez). It also features the Talleres MINAZ Prov nearby.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Yes I'm certain it is, was there recently but on BUDD railcar 2301

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, these are some great models with effective presentation using the much vaunted (by Ian Rice) proscenium arch - also my own preference.

The reason for seeking out this topic, Cuban Railways, was a 2016 episode of Globe Trekker recently shown on Public TV here in the States.  It seems to also be titled as 'Tough Trains'.  Anyway it opened my eyes to the Cuban railway system which up until then I had been completely ignorant of.  The programme was interesting even though the presenter was somewhat brash but nevertheless seemed to have free reign access to cab riding and workshops.  Further research on Wikipedia etc revealed the extensive track and rolling stock in use - makes a lot of sense when you think about the third world conditions there - they not only use their own ingenuity to fix old American cars but also old American and Russian diesel locomotives.  Steam seems to have been completely replaced even on the narrow gauge sugar plantation operations with lots of hulks, both standard and narrow gauge lying around with one or two preserved in working order.  Rolling stock has more recently been supplied from China as well as Canada and a few European countries.

For my NG interests it seems there are/were three gauges used, 2'3 1/2", 2'6" and 3' - perhaps I can work in some Cuban sugar trains with US locos into my On30 layout - for once the scale/gauge ratio could actually be accurate!

Edited by Jeff Smith

Jeff,

I bought a Bachmann On30 when new to represent a cane loco, not long after my first trip in 2003. 

It is of course still in the box.

Kev

The 2-8-0 would be roughly appropriate, I'm not sure if it is based on a Baldwin. The 2-6-0 might also be pressed into service but I don't think there were any NG ones there.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would post an update on what's been happening with Lineas Cubanas

Two things:

1) There has been no actual work on Escenas Habanas since Mid Feb or so. In fact, I have gone backwards......let me explain......

I had been investigating ways to display the layout at home and settled on using a metal shelf system with twin slot brackets. I calculated the length of uprights needed and the bracket lengths for stability were 3/4 of the width of the layout.

Anyway, I just had enough time to mount the layout in order to take the overall shot in my last photo post and the whole thing came crashing down. 

It was a bit of a mess........as I was displaying it at eye level height .....about 58" off the floor. The backscene was badly damaged as the integrated lighting beam came loose and basically swatted most of the layout including a lot of the trees and buildings. The proscenium arch and wings also took damage and broke off.......I think the electrics are ok though........well, I will get back to you on that.

I managed to remain calm. Surprisingly, my 11 year old son was more upset because of 'all the work you have put into it'

So in short : Nada

2) In an attempt to get my mojo back...... I have just jogged up to the Titchfield Thunderbolt to purchase a copy of Iain Rice's Latest book on 'Creating Cameo Layouts'

Iain's ideas have been very influential on my modelling and I didn't realise he had a new book out. I had a chat with the very nice man who runs the shop and he informed me that there is a 'Cameo Layout' competition so it might be the medicine I need to get the repairs done and continue building the layout

I am not sure what the criteria is exactly for being a 'Cameo Layout' but I am off to read the book (which looks cracking by the way) to see if I can realistically enter Escenas Habanas ......although those words 'Finescale' are scaring me.....

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about the damage, I think your modelling captures the feel that is so important so I wouldn't worry about finescale.

The three judges have very broad tastes and I think your style will fit right in :)

The nice chap in the shop will be Simon Castens, owner plus proprietor of Wild Swan books. Have you read the threads in the Cameo competition section in here? Simon is 'NotJeremy' ;)

At least us HO scale modellers already use an accurate scale/gauge ratio, but unfortunately I've forgotten most of the "rules" that I read and how they could be interpretated to favour such a prototype. TBH, I've gone off the idea of entering the competition, and would be happy with a certificate from Iain as an acknowledgement that he has taken a few moments out of his life to look at my layout.

Sorry to hear about the layout, I'm sure it can be repaired but brings what can happen into perspective, perhaps I'll have to rethink the little bag of green scenery I have in my toolbox for emergency patching up at shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about the damage, I think your modelling captures the feel that is so important so I wouldn't worry about finescale.

The three judges have very broad tastes and I think your style will fit right in :)

The nice chap in the shop will be Simon Castens, owner plus proprietor of Wild Swan books. Have you read the threads in the Cameo competition section in here? Simon is 'NotJeremy' ;)

At least us HO scale modellers already use an accurate scale/gauge ratio, but unfortunately I've forgotten most of the "rules" that I read and how they could be interpretated to favour such a prototype. TBH, I've gone off the idea of entering the competition, and would be happy with a certificate from Iain as an acknowledgement that he has taken a few moments out of his life to look at my layout.

Sorry to hear about the layout, I'm sure it can be repaired but brings what can happen into perspective, perhaps I'll have to rethink the little bag of green scenery I have in my toolbox for emergency patching up at shows.

Ok, so I have worked pretty intensively since my last post to make the neceesary repairs to the layout. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Here are a couple of quick photos of me looking at ways to disguise/repair things:

post-30675-0-31371900-1494491083_thumb.jpg

Too many shadows on the backscene!

post-30675-0-51258700-1494491165_thumb.jpg

In the end, I decided that the Blue Building (although prototypical) just looked 'unnatural' in the setting and I reverted to my mantra : Keep It Simple Stupid .......leading to the scene below:

post-30675-0-94839800-1494491210_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you prefer the Blue Building!

• Like 3

I like it, it does look very Cuban.

I can't comment, having neither seen your layout or been to Cuba, but the interpretation I get from photos is it could be called a "Big sky country", where everything above the horizon dominates. It might just be due to the topography of the areas where sugar mills are with their bulk apparent from afar, or a blue sky with laden white tropical clouds, but to me this translates into having a low horizon line on the backscene which goes against the grain of a usual shelf model railway where there are convenient contours and rising land towards the backscene or a row of buildings.

• RMweb Gold

A difficult one, it stood out just plonked on but once blended in and detailed with clutter it would probably look good. The small hut option looks really good but if that blue contrast is part of the scene then it's not wrong and possibly you are compromising the flavour you want? ;)

Don't compromise for what others think when you know, maybe a display board to accompany it at shows? We once had a US layout with very orange sandstone and had some photos to show it was accurate. It prompted interaction as a lot admitted they would have said it was too vivid ;)

• 4 weeks later...

So we are basically back to where we started:

post-30675-0-42939400-1496576379_thumb.jpg

post-30675-0-31782600-1496576410_thumb.jpg

post-30675-0-99929500-1496576440_thumb.jpg

I have been staring at this layout now for quite a while so I have kind of lost all perspective with it!

Please let me know if you have any constructive feedback

There are a couple of things I need to sort: I think the two palm trees either side of the small building look a bit odd or the placement of the building between them is unnatural......

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 5