'LINEAS CUBANAS' - Cuban Lines

Lineas Cubanas

On 05/04/2020 at 17:38, PaulRhB said:

Beautiful, just a subtle soundtrack of background noise and a loco chugging away and it’s real :) 

Thanks for this Paul

TBH, I hadn't really thought beyond including some of The Buena Vista Social Club soundtrack

You got me thinking......so I have been putting together some ambient sounds

Managed to even find a recording of a Cuban Numbers Station that is still active......... called "Voce De La Chica," believed to be operated by the Cuban intelligence directorate, Dirección de Inteligencia (DI).

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ezvyyj/cubas-mysterious-numbers-station-is-still-on-the-air

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 2

Beautiful work, I can't wait to see it and am keeping my fingers crossed for Larkrail.

It'd be a shame to ruin the neat fascia, but I've used one of these retro looking MP3 players on a layout to play ambient sounds:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303439874583

Speaking of eBay, a friend sent a link to what can only be you selling excess stock, should any other Cuban modellers be reading this and interested. 

Edited by 298
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 23:04, 298 said:

Beautiful work, I can't wait to see it and am keeping my fingers crossed for Larkrail.

It'd be a shame to ruin the neat fascia, but I've used one of these retro looking MP3 players on a layout to play ambient sounds:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303439874583

Speaking of eBay, a friend sent a link to what can only be you selling excess stock, should any other Cuban modellers be reading this and interested. 

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the kind words and the Ebay Promotion!

It is indeed me: having sorted through my rolling stock, I have far too much to run so I'd rather it give someone a head start in modelling Cuban Railways than stay packed away!

There are some books on there too on Cuban Railways

Commercial break over.....

On 16/04/2020 at 12:53, Lineas Cubanas said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the kind words and the Ebay Promotion!

It is indeed me: having sorted through my rolling stock, I have far too much to run so I'd rather it give someone a head start in modelling Cuban Railways than stay packed away!

There are some books on there too on Cuban Railways

Commercial break over.....

I have the third book on the author's recommendation, and have just succombed to the Bulletin magazines as they do cover Cuba rather nicely (don't rush to post them tho). 

I do hope others are tempted to model Cuba like you say, I could do with rediscovering my mojo and getting on with my mill buildings and stock although the initial spark was diluted for me when I didn't stick to the initial interest. Others might have a different era that piques their interest.

On 16/04/2020 at 13:11, PaulRhB said:

I’ve succumbed to one book to go with the Vintage Cubano and small Cuban collection ;) 

On 20/04/2020 at 20:56, 298 said:

I have the third book on the author's recommendation, and have just succombed to the Bulletin magazines as they do cover Cuba rather nicely (don't rush to post them tho). 

I do hope others are tempted to model Cuba like you say, I could do with rediscovering my mojo and getting on with my mill buildings and stock although the initial spark was diluted for me when I didn't stick to the initial interest. Others might have a different era that piques their interest.

Thanks both for your support and contribution towards the next project.......

1 hour ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Thanks both for your support and contribution towards the next project.......

Ooh, what might that be...?

Most of my modelling happens if I have a show deadline and when the kids are at school. Plus we're both key workers so the lockdown is having less of an impact than it would for others and I won't be joining the ranks of those who have built a new layout in a few weeks.

I have however cleared the rubbish off my Mill layout and am gaining more determination to finish it as intended, even if the expectation of what constitutes a small exhibition layout has changed over the years since I started it from an intense switching plan to a nicely modelled scene with a train passing through, like yours.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 298 said:

Ooh, what might that be...?

In no particular order, one of  the following:

Riddle of the Sands

La brouillard au pont de Tolbiac

Sin El Fil

Answers on postcard please if you have any preferences or even know what I am going on about.....

Most of my modelling happens if I have a show deadline and when the kids are at school. Plus we're both key workers so the lockdown is having less of an impact than it would for others and I won't be joining the ranks of those who have built a new layout in a few weeks.

I have however cleared the rubbish off my Mill layout and am gaining more determination to finish it as intended, even if the expectation of what constitutes a small exhibition layout has changed over the years since I started it from an intense switching plan to a nicely modelled scene with a train passing through, like yours.  

Do you need any Mill Buildings? 

I am pretty sure I have some that Peter gave me that he used on an old layout of his.  If you do, let me know and I will dig them out and post a photo. 

You can let me know if they are suitable/will help and I will get them to you once the local post office stops their ridiculous one in one out policy......

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Riddle of the Sands

Sin El Fil

Answers on postcard please if you have any preferences or even know what I am going on about.....

Thanks to Google I have an inkling of what the options you’re considering might mean, they all sound interesting and have the potential for a stunning model - look forward to seeing which you settle on.

8 hours ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

Riddle of the Sands

Sin El Fil

Do you need any Mill Buildings? 

I am pretty sure I have some that Peter gave me that he used on an old layout of his.  If you do, let me know and I will dig them out and post a photo. 

You can let me know if they are suitable/will help and I will get them to you once the local post office stops their ridiculous one in one out policy......

PM sent.... although I've had a bit of a breakthrough and actually done something....

Like Dr Q says  they all sound tempting and of like to see your style of modelling on any of them.

On 23/04/2020 at 15:21, doctor quinn said:

Thanks to Google I have an inkling of what the options you’re considering might mean, they all sound interesting and have the potential for a stunning model - look forward to seeing which you settle on.

Here it is in visual form which I find more inspiring. You are probably thinking where the hell is the railway ??? You'd be right ...I tend to take my inspiration from other sources.

(All said in a non pretentious way......hopefully)

Riddle of the Sands

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 12.48.19.png

La Brouillard au Pont de Tolbiactardi-nestor-burma-paris-20-eme-arrondissement-estampe-pigmentaire-edition-limitee_427179.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone

I am considering parting ways with "La Noche de la Iguana" in order to make room for my next project

I would like it to go to a good home, hopefully someone who will be prepared to exhibit it if that's their bag etc

Its 105 inches long by about 22 inches at the widest point

All my Cuban Motive Power/Rolling Stock will be included.

If you are interested, please contact via PM

Thanks for your interest

Matt

IMG_0280.jpgIMG_0285.jpg.4d36a574a41d87a9276175b351ff09ea.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg.a703b5f55b6011c6acbabd45d11ed847.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear that you will be leaving the small band of Cuban modellers, I hope the layout goes to a good home and the new owners are able to exhibit it as I was really looking forward to it's booked appearance at Larkrail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 21:24, 298 said:

Sorry to hear that you will be leaving the small band of Cuban modellers, I hope the layout goes to a good home and the new owners are able to exhibit it as I was really looking forward to it's booked appearance at Larkrail.

Thanks Andy

I may keep it, I am undecided at the moment. Thinking if I move it on I might get my modelling mojo back and be inspired to get on with my next project. But I think the demand for HO Cuban Layouts is pretty small. Where does one even sell a layout nowadays and for how much?

I am tempted to have a go at  Continental N but kind of finer standards using Code 40 track, finer wheels but tbh I am not sure building 2mm turnouts is within my skillset and seems pretty daunting........

• 4 weeks later...

I did a bit of work on the railroad this weekend. Just changed a couple of things I wasn't happy with.

I came to the conclusion that I need a staging/fiddle yard to operate the layout effectively and that's not going to be possible in my office where the layout is situated. So I am thinking I may move the layout to the garage which will enable said fiddle yard to be implemented and the layout stored until future exhibitions, for when life begins again.

Obviously, if I move it from my office it frees up some space for a new layout/project!

I also took some photos with my iPhone:

IMG_0482.jpg.039a6d24e738c01b9de0bc9535ab2376.jpg

IMG_0478.jpgIMG_0470.jpg.38bb0b36153778d5cbbc3cd517704a0a.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I hope you will forgive the shameless plug and self promotion but I am thinning the herd of a number of Cuban Rolling Stock items in my possession. I have far too much and there's no point keeping them packed away.....

Hopefully, someone else will be encouraged to start modelling Cuba in HO Scale with the help of some of these.

Here is the link to Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lineascubanas/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Or just search "Lineas Cubanas" or "Cuban Railways" on eBay

Rolling stock for sale includes: 

- Locos (DCC with Sound)

- Caboose

- Box Cars

- Tanks Cars

- Gondolas

- Container Flats

- Flat Cars

- Hoppers