Allan Brett Cannon.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

An old 'Allan Brett Cannon' pamphlet from the 60s.

Does anybody remember the London Bridge shop?

post-6728-0-64068400-1481283774_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-42076400-1481283808_thumb.jpg

I still have some lengths of the 'Chairway'. In my view back then it was the best prototypically looking track. It was painful sliding the plastic chairs onto the rail as l remember! It looked superior to the Peco stuff available at the time.

post-6728-0-61317000-1481283717_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-96109300-1481283724_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-03007400-1481283735_thumb.jpg

And how about this for some ancient stuff which l think is pre-war which was found at my old school model railway club in the 50s. It's made from thick fibre sleepers with soldered staples. looking at it now it would seem to be only fit for the bin!

post-6728-0-11374500-1481283746_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

And how about this for some ancient stuff which l think is pre-war which was found at my old school model railway club in the 50s. It's made from thick fibre sleepers with soldered staples. looking at it now it would seem to be only fit for the bin!

attachicon.gif005.JPG

I am sure there are a few Ebay sellers who would find the descriptions necessary in order to put that up for sale at £49.99

Edited by jonny777

I am sure there are a few Ebay sellers who would find the descriptions necessary in order to put that up for sale at £49.99

Not all eBay sellers  are  rogues  I agree  some  are,, but   from my association  with eBay   for  around 12  years  I have yet  to  encounter  one  

Stevesoller  1525 positive  feedback 

Edited by Stevelewis

I had a Chairway point kit in OO at some point, probably the mid/late 70's.  It possibly went when I made the decision to go P4.  One of the things I would, in retrospect, have liked to hang on to.

I remember going there in the mid-70s as a friend of mine used to buy their colour light signals. There were so many other shops round London in those days too.

Apparently there was one here in Tilbury some years ago and one closed in Torquay just as we moved there in 1981. There are now very few anywhere.

• 2 years later...

Yes, I recall ABC.

Did I ever buy anything there? Possibly a Wrenn 08 and a rake of milk tankers, for a mid-70s project that remained forever not-started, 009 having more traction.

For some reason ABC never ‘caught’ me in the way that the other London shops did.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

I did visit the London Bridge shop a few times as I worked in the area. At that time I was painting wargames figures and went there to buy paint. Earlier when I was visiting home more, where Dad's and my layout was, I used W&H more as it was nearer Paddington and had an excellent catalogue. Hamblings was also useful as it had lots of spares and its own castings. 

9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And was handy for Charing Cross and hence Waterloo, getting home. But the proprietor was as happy as a dead bird. 

Very true, but I believe I remember also being served by a very youthful Ian Rice!

• Like 2

I bought some Peco fibre based track once in a dingy spot in Shepherd's Bush market. On reflection, this must have been their Shepherd's Bush branch, but definitely an excellent example of how not to advertise your business*. I remember visiting the London Bridge shop, once but it was closed. It obviously didn't seem exciting enough for a second visit.

* I only found out what it was by seeing an old advert for ABC which mentioned, "Railway Approach, Shepherd's Bush". "How did I miss that?", I thought, but I couldn't find a map that actually showed 'Railway Approach' (apart from a modern one that put it in the shopping mall, which now occupies the space that was the old coal yard of what was then the remains of Uxbridge Road station. It was semi-derelict when I was there in the sixties. Eventually I found it's (was?) the northern half of the market along the arches of the Metropolitan Line.

• Informative/Useful 1