does anyone model glasses on 4mm figures

I have found a 3d scanner and got interested as i could scan myself, but i wear glasses. It got me thinking:

would it work?

What would it come out like?

How would it be painted up, because you can see through glasses?

Then i thought bigger:

Are any figures offered in 4mm scale with glasses?

How do they model it?

How well do the results turn out?

If not are our model worlds only populated by people with perfect sight. Which would mean on the scan i will be doing a better self of me. Which is how we model everything else to some degree.

Any answers to the questions?

Richard

In 4mm, you a flogging a dead horse! the scale size of the spectacle frame would be as little as 5 thou, and I have done some in the past for clients, but under protest. Even a 3d print might not resolve the detail well.

On 0 scale, all different, easy to do in fine wire, recently did Will Hay figure with glasses as in Oh Mr Porter. Although twice the scale it is 4x the volume, and that makes all the difference.

Nothing is impossible, 00 could be done, but so difficult. Some German plastic figures have sunglasses moulded on to the face, but clear ones are not really on, unless you want a challenge!

Stephen

It is so painfully small when to scale, a head is only about 2/3mm wide. and it needs very fine wire that is stiff. A two inch wide lens would be.6 mm diameter, some handrails on locos are that diameter!

Worth a try though,

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Somewhere, fairly close at hand, because I have seen it recently, I have a 20mm Hotspur wargaming figure with spectacles. He was a 'bystander' in a series which pitted the police against riotous protestors/hooligans (you could choose your own scenario). 20mm is a nominal height 'scale' and as they tended to be slightly overscale, they can be between 5 & 6ft in 4mm scale. The specs do look more like goggles, but could be improved by filing down the depth. They were a quite well detailed range, but I haven't a clue whether they are still around, but I suspect not, as it is probably 30 years since I bought them.

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes a subject on RMWeb makes me so happy to be alive!   :angel:

I am waiting to see how far off piste this topic goes or alternatively how detailed the discussion becomes. What about what frames were available when? Were loco crews or guards allowed to wear specs? Will Metcalfe's introduce an opticians shop to their range - or have they already got one?

As a bespecctacled person I demand all manufacturers recognise our place in the world immediately before we exit the eu.  Sadly if someone painted specs on a "0" gauge model it would have to be micron perfect and I personally think manufacturers should concentrate on other things.

This is actually a very good question.  I know several people who have had themselves scanned by Alan Buttler of Modelu and were asked to doff their specs first.  As a print of one such is coming my way it would be a good idea to consider how to embellish it with a representation of her specs.  It is too early in the morning for me to have bright ideas but you never know ...

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

This is actually a very good question.  I know several people who have had themselves scanned by Alan Buttler of Modelu and were asked to doff their specs first.  As a print of one such is coming my way it would be a good idea to consider how to embellish it with a representation of her specs.  It is too early in the morning for me to have bright ideas but you never know ...

Chris

Probably not helpful to you now, but IMO this would be best done by editing the 3d model before printing, with the specs added in a manner appropriate to the scale of the print.

As a bespectacled person I demand all manufacturers recognise our place in the world immediately before we exit the eu.  Sadly if someone painted specs on a "0" gauge model it would have to be micron perfect and I personally think manufacturers should concentrate on other things.

Actually most wargame figures and  "ahem", character figures, have heads in the S scale region or  even larger .A real 00 head is minute as Bertie Dog has mentioned and not much room .So perfect glassless  specatcles on an s scale head or nuffink on a figure the right size anatomically speaking .I suppose some  3 bits of 5 amp fuse wire and some Cristall Cleer might do it but the Porsche logo will be tricky as will varifocals.It wont cast anyway .

Martin

I believe they weren't allowed to wear glasses back in the day. I don't know the current rules.

Being a glasses wearer myself something I've noticed is that glasses have become much more common in the last ten years or so. You hardly saw anyone wearing them, especially youngsters. Now it seems that most people seem to be wearing a pair. Whether it's technology such as computer screens and mobile phones, Gok Wan making them trendy or Harry Potter to blame I don't know.

Or you could just try monocles !

I've seen figures with monocles in war gaming. Although they all had German uniforms, usually with a spikey helmet....

Jason

Spectacles were definitely out in steam days*, but I believe today's cleaner working environment has allowed some relaxation of the rule.

*It let me out - I've needed them since I was 17 (I first noticed watching some forgettable SF TV drama that followed 'A for Andromeda' (best part - Julie Christie as Andromeda....   :) )

(Sorry   :offtopic: )

Back on topic, I wouldn't bother. My policy on detail is  Can I see it? 

In this case the answer is  No.

Could you use two monocles to represent spectacles? 

Although I originally posted this in jest it occurred to me afterwards that bertiedog's suggestion of drilling a small hole and inserting a short length of rod could be done with both eyes of the figure to give the spectacle lenses, and then the frames represented with fine wire, plastic rod or just paint. (This is presented as an exercise on what might be possible rather than as an indication of any intentions to try it. ;)

This seems such a fine detail, which I doubt I would see from 600mm away, I will also give it a miss.
But if someone should succeed in this task, I look forward to their model of a Remington typewriter* too.... 

* yes, going off piste.

Archived