Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

....and the next project, Algoma Central

dibber25

My travels always inspire my modelling, so I'm currently on an Algoma Central kick. Can't seem to track down any Rapido passenger cars, if they did them in AC colours, so it's find something suitable and paint it. I have some Walthers cars which I painted in Ontario Northland (after I rode the Northlander). I then bought a set of Rapido ONR cars, so the Walthers cars will go into ACR silver and maroon. However, the first through the paint shop is a Rivarossi-built Northern Pacific car which is now awaiting the arrival of decals. In a reversal of the usual run of events this Italy-built model took me over an hour to dismantle and about five minutes to re-assemble after I'd painted it. The Walthers cars are easy enough to take apart, then I have a Rapido baggage car to deal with as I seem to be overstocked with ONR equipment. (CJL)

post-1062-0-05959200-1481495721_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The ACR? You'll be doing a lot of trees and trestles, then. :yes: Here's an Improving Link http://www.railpictures.ca/upload/one-of-the-scenic-highlights-of-the-algoma-central-railroad-is-the-bridge-over-the-hydroelectric-dam-at-montreal-falls-for-our-labor-day-weekend-in-1981-several-of-us-arranged-with-the-power-compan

Cheers,

David

edited to add link

Edited by davknigh

I'll be doing the silver-grey with the stripes and black bears once the decals arrive. I've three Walthers coaches (the one illustrated is not Rivarossi, it's Walthers, too) and a Rapido baggage car which will be repainted from ONR into ACR. It's a spare as I somehow managed to buy two in ONR colors.. I've also got an undecorated troop sleeper coming from Ebay. That will be in the plain maroon as the baggage car for goods containing petroleum (ATVs, snowmobiles, boat engines etc). I have a set of Rapido cars in ONR white/blue/yellow which I bought just after I'd repainted the Walthers cars. No doubt I'll now find a set in ACR as soon as I've repainted them again! 

I already have the big trestle and quite a few trees. The trestle is Kinsol and the station is Parksville - both on Vancouver Island, but I run anything and everything that takes my fancy, including GO Transit - though they do look a bit odd on a timber trestle. (CJL)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

One interesting train thats easy to model was the way freight, 2 40ft boxcars and a caboose. Train was simply flagged down and loaded with whatever goods the locals need to move. This dvd if your not aware covers the pre WC F unit years, when the local was run as a separate train.http://www.pletsexpress.com/fnimall/Plets/009TAC/vid_trains.phtml

Highball graphics for the passenger car decals.

http://www.mgdecals.com/P-126.htm

http://www.mgdecals.com/P-125.htm

Edited by w124bob

• RMweb Gold

As a beginner in USA modelling (for reasons too complex to explain here) I note your picture has a caboose on pax stock as also appear in several tourist line videos on YouTube. Are they needed for braking or simply being used as as dome cars for the view as mentioned in at least one of the on-line video commentaries.

As a beginner in USA modelling (for reasons too complex to explain here) I note your picture has a caboose on pax stock as also appear in several tourist line videos on YouTube. Are they needed for braking or simply being used as as dome cars for the view as mentioned in at least one of the on-line video commentaries.

On a tourist line, they are often used as party spaces or group charter vehicles, because there is something attractive from lots of different cultural reasons about riding in the little red caboose on the end of a train.

As far as i am aware, in most cases there is no requirement for them on a tourist line or train from an operational perspective, but as they can be revenue spinners from private parties and group charters, you often see them.

Cheers,

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

On a tourist line, they are often used as party spaces or group charter vehicles, because there is something attractive from lots of different cultural reasons about riding in the little red caboose on the end of a train.

As far as i am aware, in most cases there is no requirement for them on a tourist line or train from an operational perspective, but as they can be revenue spinners from private parties and group charters, you often see them.

Cheers,

Stephen

Thanks for confirming what I had thought. In the box of n-gauge stuff I got there is a caboose so it will get used as a dome car.

• RMweb Premium

When I was very young, we returned home late one night on a train that had, I think, one passenger car and a caboose. I know that I was invited into the caboose but was shy/afraid to go. I think it was a train from Kingston to Perth. I think the loco was very small.