Creating a Backscene -Paul Bambrick & John Ellis-Cockell

Godfrey Glyn

• RMweb Gold

post-138-0-24991100-1481536061_thumb.jpgIn my opinion Bucks Hill is one of the very best layouts around, it doesn't matter what scale you work in, it provides serious inspiration for any modeller. I was therefore delighted to learn that a book was being produced on the techniques used to create its stunning back scene.

I collected my copy of the book last week from Paul at Alton Model Centre and I have not been disappointed. It is a beautifully produced masterpiece, not cheap at £30 but very good value. I only have one small criticism and that is that although the photographers of the various models that appear in the book are credited, the actual models are not.

Its the sort of book that everyone interested in creating a realistic model should have on their Christmas list. I think you might get the impression that I quite like it!

all the best

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

Paul Bambrick will be at Pendon Museum on 30th December for a book signing and to offer help and advice. Copies will be on sale on the day or if you have been given a copy for Christmas then take it along to get it signed. See link.

https://www.pendonmuseum.com/news/post.php?s=2016-11-22-30-december-paul-bambrick-book-signing

Paul Bambrick will be at Pendon Museum on 30th December for a book signing and to offer help and advice. Copies will be on sale on the day or if you have been given a copy for Christmas then take it along to get it signed. See link.

https://www.pendonmuseum.com/news/post.php?s=2016-11-22-30-december-paul-bambrick-book-signing

That's in my diary. Something good to do between Christmas and New Year!

• RMweb Gold

I received a copy of this as my one and only Christmas present and I'm so glad I did!

It is a magnificent publication filled to the gunnels with glorious colour illustrations, sketches and of course, a very comprehensive text. I found the layout of the illustrations and text to be very pleasing visually and though the publication of the book was about a year overdue, it was well worth the wait in my opinion.

I have no connection with either of the authors, but believe Paul Bambrick & John Ellis-Cockell are to be congratulated on presenting us modellers with such an in-depth book on obtaining a believable landscape, outside the railway fence. The advice and techniques within its pages are, of course, equally applicable to other branches of modelling, such as military dioramas.

I haven't even got a layout at the moment, but I think I'll take another look at it right now....

Regards

Dan

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I picked up a copy at the Bristol O Gauge show last week. It's a very nicely produced item indeed, surprisingly chunky and with lots of colour illustrations and some very finely reproduced paintings. I must admit I rarely if ever read railway books from cover to cover in a linear fashion, preferring to dip into them almost at random over the years until I've absorbed the wisdom therein. There is certainly a lot of stuff to get stuck into here and I feel it will be a book that I'll be returning to many times, rather in the manner of one of Iain Rice or Barry Norman's tomes.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a marvellous book for modellers. Not everyone will have Paul's skills but his techniques are well worth reading about.

A tip, I bought this book through www.Booksetc.co.uk at a far cheaper price and post free compared with many other book sellers. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived