Kernow MRC - Bachmann Class 43 Exclusive Model Announcement

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre Press Release - OO Gauge Bachmann Class 43 Exclusive Model Announcement

Kernow_Class43_Sprightly.jpg

We are please to announce that we have commission Bachmann to produce North British Class 43 Warship Diesel Locomotive number D845 named "Sprightly" in BR Green livery with experimental yellow warning panels and white cab roof stripe.

This will be a limited edition of 512 models and will be supplied with a numbered certificate of authenticity and etched nameplates.

The price will be £164.95 with a DCC Fitted option available at £184.95.

The models are expected to arrive during January and pre-orders are invited.

Kernow_Class43_Sprightly_2.jpg
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the shed plate on the buffer beam on this special!

Havent seen it there on many loco photos .... many 43s acquired cast plates in the same location as a 42 on the buffer beam side fairing eg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6310132586/in/album-72157627920981333/

Kind regards

Phil

Don't buy it then. Simple really.

This kind of comment really annoys me to be honest, this hobby of ours as we all know, is getting more and more expensive, I'm fortunate in having a fairly well paid job and I struggle to purchase most models that I would like, so, Doddy stated that the pricing is well over the top, do we know his financial situation ? do we know his circumstances with his statement ?  I just find Hilux5972's posting very rude. 

• RMweb Premium

This kind of comment really annoys me to be honest, this hobby of ours as we all know, is getting more and more expensive, I'm fortunate in having a fairly well paid job and I struggle to purchase most models that I would like, so, Doddy stated that the pricing is well over the top, do we know his financial situation ? do we know his circumstances with his statement ? I just find Hilux5972's posting very rude.

Sorry, but I don't see the issue. There are plenty of models that I would like to purchase as well that I am unable to. Moaning about the cost of models is not going to bring the price down is it? Would everyone prefer to purchase items made by people that are under paid and under appreciated? I think we are all putting our own wants ahead of the lives of the people who actually build these models.

• RMweb Gold

This kind of comment really annoys me to be honest, this hobby of ours as we all know, is getting more and more expensive, I'm fortunate in having a fairly well paid job and I struggle to purchase most models that I would like, so, Doddy stated that the pricing is well over the top, do we know his financial situation ? do we know his circumstances with his statement ? I just find Hilux5972's posting very rude.

Sorry, but Doddy's comment appeared rude to me. There is a world of difference between a loco's price being higher than somebody can afford and being "over the top". The latter implies that the price is wrong, not just possibly unaffordable to Doddy.

Roy

The major sellers (of which, Kernow) are offering 'standard' Bachmann Type 43s at around £128 (to the nearest pound), although there is one version at £119-ish, though I don't know why there is that difference in price.  Those prices are, of course, discounted - not the original selling price. 

Add a set of etched nameplates from, say, Fox at £9.65 (+P&P, of course).  

The limited edition, which commands a premium in manufacturing costs among other things would relate to the full selling price. 

Putting all that together, £165 doesn't seem too bad, to me.  Whether I would, or could buy one is a very different matter!

(Minor edit)

Edited by olivegreen

Special painting masks will have to be made for both the roof, and the name plate so Doddy it's not quite as simple as you think.

And don't forget the numbering needs a mask as well as any other subltle paint differences which will all add to the cost.

Ask Kernow, they will be more than happy to explain why it costs more

I really fancied one of the Ltd edition BMW R1200RTs and could moan as why it was several thousand more.

Why should it have been.....it was the same bike only with a different special paint job........see what I did there?

If you fancy one, get a standard one, some nameplates, some numbers and some white paint and low tack masking tape and so your own.

Sorted.

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Premium

The major sellers (of which, Kernow) are offering 'standard' Bachmann Type 43s at around £128 (to the nearest pound), although there is one version at £119-ish, though I don't know why there is that difference in price. Those prices are, of course, discounted - not the original selling price.

Add a set of etched nameplates from, say, Fox at £9.65 (+P&P, of course).

The limited edition, which commands a premium in manufacturing costs among other things would relate to the full selling price.

Putting all that together, £165 doesn't seem too bad, to me. Whether I would, or could buy one is a very different matter!

(Minor edit)

As we know the Hornby newly announced Duchess will have an RRP of £189.99 so it's less than that, is a special edition, and will no doubt soar in future prices on eBay. As I said would we rather our hobby was built by, what is essentially, underpaid slave labour?

As we know the Hornby newly announced Duchess will have an RRP of £189.99 so it's less than that, is a special edition, and will no doubt soar in future prices on eBay. As I said would we rather our hobby was built by, what is essentially, underpaid slave labour?

Be careful! I got severely "moderated" for suggesting on another thread that some people wanted affordable models regardless of their origin.

I do wonder whether the limited edition eBay effect will last. Some of the ex-Modelzone ones have been seriously discounted by Invicta to try to shift them, as they obviously weren't selling.

• RMweb Gold

I'm always interested in Warships, especially unusual livery variants, so well done Kernow, I like your style.

However, I can wait. Some will place an order straight away, and I wouldn't blame them in the slightest, especially if they can remember the prototype looking like this. I don't, my distant memory of Warships is scruffy maroon and blue engines roaring through Highbridge in the late 1960s early 1970s and them at the Swindon dump.

Remember the 2H re pricing - it was on the high end of the scale to start with, I waited 2 years (with some patience I add) and they fell below £200. I then made a move. I suspect they won't sell all 512 D845s within a few weeks, and I will wait until they reduce a bit. Plus I've just bought a new D838 and some Coke hoppers this month.

Neil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's a ditto from me re D838 and coke hoppers...and we already have Sprightly in GSYP, the white roof is a bit early for us although allegedly Santa is delivering some other non hydraulic power that is most definitely 1964....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Class 43 Warship on the Rails website £104. That's an extra £61 for a white cap and etched plates, Oh and the certificate! :no:

I didn't see the words 'purchase of this model is compulsory' anywhere on the OP and I doubt if it says that anywhere on Kernow's website either,.

Rails are offering a deeply discounted price on the standard model so that hardly compares with a specially commissioned model which will cost the retailer far more than the 'cooking' version.  And if you want to moan about prices just look at some of Rails' ludicrous secondhand prices - they're not exactly saints when it comes to pricing.  As others have said the answer on this 'Warship' is simple - if you want one and you can afford it then buy, but if you don't then don't buy it or - as has been suggested above - wait to see if the price drops a bit.  But I'll lay a bit with you that whether they all go at this price or not you won't see Kernow selling them at a loss, I have more than a suspicion that they would like to remain in business.

And quite how you conclude 'the price is way over the top' is a mystery to me unless you have an inside track on Bachmann's trade prices for commissions; so if you do perhaps you could share your knowledge with the rest of us?

• Like 1

Christmas 1914 was celebrated by a temporary truce in the trenches. Would it be perhaps a good idea to have at least a temporary truce on our old familiar price-gripe on this forum ? It has become more than a little tiresome. :nono:

I agree, Ian, on the condition that those concerned acknowledge (even privately) that there is a vast difference between 'that object is overpriced' and 'I cannot, or will not pay the price asked for that object'… which is the nub of the recent discourse.

Apart from that, truce welcome!

(Minor spelling edit)

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

Christmas 1914 was celebrated by a temporary truce in the trenches. Would it be perhaps a good idea to have at least a temporary truce on our old familiar price-gripe on this forum ? It has become more than a little tiresome. :nono:

World peace would be easier to achieve but I support the idea.

If anyone sees any further price gripes please do report any such posts and I'll give it a visit.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

RRP for Bachmann's warships is £149.99. Kernow are charging £15 extra. Not quite over the top, I'd have thought. 

Also worth noting, that the professional re-namers, such as TMC will charge you £50 for a professional job (I just checked). So in those terms its a bargain. 

• RMweb Premium

In fairness to Kernow, their Bachmann special editions carry quite a modest surcharge over the Bachmann SRP for main catalogue editions of the models, typically £15 from what I can see. Given that they're commissioning special models that seems pretty reasonable to me. I think that people are maybe less concerned with the Kernow price than the current Bachmann SRP levels. Either way, this looks like a cracking model. The Bachmann Class 43 is an absolute stunner and as good as any other OO RTR diesel I've seen from any manufacturer, it is better than most.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don't see the issue. There are plenty of models that I would like to purchase as well that I am unable to. Moaning about the cost of models is not going to bring the price down is it? Would everyone prefer to purchase items made by people that are under paid and under appreciated? I think we are all putting our own wants ahead of the lives of the people who actually build these models.

Not buying models does bring the price down. For example the price of the Hornby R3376 BR green class 71 has gone down to £99 at Rails and even lower at some model shops due to lack of demand. One of the members of the Purbeck Model Railway Group bought a new Hornby Railroad maroon Warship for £30 as a Hattons bargain and is satisfied with it. It looks like a Warship and runs well.

Edited by Robin Brasher