• RMweb Gold

I'd been having thoughts about 7mm for a while but as soon as I seen the Dapol 08 my mind was made up, so much so that rather than this be a side project along side 4mm projects I decided to sell all my 4mm locos etc to fund the jump up.

The thought of track building and weathering locos in O gauge appeals so much so it just felt right.

So with the decision made a blue 08 was soon followed by a blue 40 and there's a 'green gronk' on pre-order.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been racking my brains trying to think of a suitable plan for a layout, it had to be a stabling/fuelling point as space is tight. Like my other OO an EM projects I'll have to make the layout in sections until time permits a suitable man cave but I can live with that.

Ideas thrown into the hat where Buxton (possibly to long), a version of Camden Street (St Pancras) but situated just outside Liverpool Exchange, various fictional ideas (I'm not very good at that) and Kings Cross stabling point, all would be based mid 60's with green and blue.

Each ideas had its pros an cons and after a couple of sleepless nights and many hours searching through old photos on Flickr one place seemed to be jumping out. Last night though a friend of mine sent me a templot of KX and the whole area is doable in 18'x3.5' which in 7mm isn't bad, it's a small compact stabling point with interesting shunting possibilities.

So with my mind more or less made up I thought it was about time I started a thread mostly to grab as much information as possible.

I've never been to Kings X and being a northerner and basing all my previous layouts in the Liverpool area I do feel a bit out of my comfort zone, but it's crying out to be modelled albeit with a few tweaks here and there to make things fit with all track being hand built to 0-MF standards.

So here goes, hopefully I can start getting as much information as possible. It's not going to be something built over night it's going to be a long project and I'm possibly thinking of starring with the servicing shed and the line next to it.

Any information or photos would be gratefully received and I really hope I'm not bitting of more than I can chew.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I'd been having thoughts about 7mm for a while but as soon as I seen the Dapol 08 my mind was made up, so much so that rather than this be a side project along side 4mm projects I decided to sell all my 4mm locos etc to fund the jump up.

The thought of track building and weathering locos in O gauge appeals so much so it just felt right.

So with the decision made a blue 08 was soon followed by a blue 40 and there's a 'green gronk' on pre-order.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been racking my brains trying to think of a suitable plan for a layout, it had to be a stabling/fuelling point as space is tight. Like my other OO an EM projects I'll have to make the layout in sections until time permits a suitable man cave but I can live with that.

Ideas thrown into the hat where Buxton (possibly to long), a version of Camden Street (St Pancras) but situated just outside Liverpool Exchange, various fictional ideas (I'm not very good at that) and Kings Cross stabling point, all would be based mid 60's with green and blue.

Each ideas had its pros an cons and after a couple of sleepless nights and many hours searching through old photos on Flickr one place seemed to be jumping out. Last night though a friend of mine sent me a templot of KX and the whole area is doable in 18'x3.5' which in 7mm isn't bad, it's a small compact stabling point with interesting shunting possibilities.

So with my mind more or less made up I thought it was about time I started a thread mostly to grab as much information as possible.

I've never been to Kings X and being a northerner and basing all my previous layouts in the Liverpool area I do feel a bit out of my comfort zone, but it's crying out to be modelled albeit with a few tweaks here and there to make things fit with all track being hand built to 0-MF standards.

So here goes, hopefully I can start getting as much information as possible. It's not going to be something built over night it's going to be a long project and I'm possibly thinking of starring with the servicing shed and the line next to it.

Any information or photos would be gratefully received and I really hope I'm not bitting of more than I can chew.

Thanks in advance.

No tweaks Paul, that's what makes Kings Cross Kings Cross!

Mike.

• Like 1

post-6884-0-87265600-1360513481.jpg

Good Friday, 27 March 1970. Always several locos on the cross back then. 31's, 40's Peaks, Brush 4's & of course Deltics. Maybe an odd 08 but I never saw any there.

Bit of video here

Brit15

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifBottom shed 2.png

Any help?

Edit, viewing area for 4mm

Hi Clive,

Given the photos I've seen of KX Bottom Shed in steam days, I always imagined there was more stabling there than there actually was.  That double slip in the middle of the shed somehow seems superfluous?  Course, I was born 10 years after steam finished, so have only ever seen it on videos, but I do wonder how useful that pointwork was in reality?  Sorry Paul, know your going with the diesel era - just interested!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Paul you can RUN but you cant HIDE, I've found your new thread and it's off to a good start with loads of positive feedback already.

Good luck with it mate.

BTW for what it's worth, I think it's in the right section.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for the great input and sorry for the slow reply, all the photos and input are a great source of information. I did come across this photo from another site so I apologise if I'm posting it without the owner wishing me to but it's a real help

69B340DD-29AA-469C-9A71-34F7D90464A5_zps

As for gronks attending the cross I think modellers licence might kick in there as the more gronks the merrier ;)

Thanks again

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone for the great input and sorry for the slow reply, all the photos and input are a great source of information. I did come across this photo from another site so I apologise if I'm posting it without the owner wishing me to but it's a real help

As for gronks attending the cross I think modellers licence might kick in there as the more gronks the merrier ;)

Thanks again

Hi Paul

I hadn't noticed you had posted the plan, I was busy trying to make 32 MB of plan under 1 MB. Was it a posting of mine some time ago on Western Thunder, or what ever it is called? I ask because I only half remember posting it.

• Like 2

Thanks again

Thats my picture you've 'borrowed'....

Edited by BrushType4

• RMweb Gold

Thats my picture you've 'borrowed'....

Hope you don't mind me borrowing it, can I ask how you came across it as it would be a real help if I could get hold of a copy of the original.

If you wish me to remove the pic I will do as I don't want to upset anyone.

Cheers

Hope you don't mind me borrowing it, can I ask how you came across it as it would be a real help if I could get hold of a copy of the original.

If you wish me to remove the pic I will do as I don't want to upset anyone.

Cheers

Its ok. I was very lucky to be given a full size copy of the original. I have the hi res copies of the parts that have been stitched together that I'll email you if you PM me your email.

I'm not sure of the extent of the plan I have but it is very detailed listing every baseplate, joint and insulated joint of the later layout. One thing it does state clearly is the 19mm of gauge widening on the road leading to the car dock/parcels bays. If it was planned to be there on the new I wonder what was actually there on the old?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure of the extent of the plan I have but it is very detailed listing every baseplate, joint and insulated joint of the later layout. One thing it does state clearly is the 19mm of gauge widening on the road leading to the car dock/parcels bays. If it was planned to be there on the new I wonder what was actually there on the old?

Sounds interesting mate I've just come across this to, Kings X is at 3.46

https://vimeo.com/94217874

Haven't watched it fully but looks very good.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll be following this with interest as my New Year project will be KX passenger loco in 00, mid '58 to mid '59. For the last few years I've dabbled with dioramas but I can no longer resist the urge to have something which 'works' and I am going for a complete change.

More on my 'whys and wherefores' in the New Year but I can say that Google and Flickr are your friends. There is a lot out there and I've seen much on the more modern scene. Be persistent, find period magazines - there are tons on eBay.

As a teenager I went to the Cross just once in Deltic days and I can still hear the din For greatest atmosphere I'd suggest settling on a period and sticking to it. The place change subtlety over the years so the date can be roughly identified even without an engine in the picture.

One other point is that the area was far from flat. The yard sits just above the main line which itself ran downhill into Gas Works tunnel. Then there is platform 16 which appears at about 1 in 40 form the Widened Lines. A challenge for baseboard construction!

Good luck!