• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for the great input and sorry for the slow reply, all the photos and input are a great source of information. I did come across this photo from another site so I apologise if I'm posting it without the owner wishing me to but it's a real help

69B340DD-29AA-469C-9A71-34F7D90464A5_zps

As for gronks attending the cross I think modellers licence might kick in there as the more gronks the merrier ;)

Thanks again

Stretch your modellers' licence and give your gronk a nice livery and a name - yes it's an 09, but it's near enough, if you are going a bit off piste anyway! Sorry about the posts, but it was shot from a passing train.

There's a whole thread on Cedric's retirement from shunting at Brighton to the Spa Valley Railway at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111395-09026-leaves-the-building/

post-14351-0-21790200-1481929946_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They've both got six wheels in the middle, but they've gone and added silly little wheels at the ends and a coal wagon at the back.

Haha but apart from that ;)

Nice pic Phil there will be one or two gronks you can be sure of that although not sure if I've just blown my 08's sound decoder, made the mistake of trying to fit it whilst looking after the baby and fitted it upside down before testing, if I can't fit a simple plug an okay I'm doomed from the start :(

Edited by PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Very rare for me, but I picked up a copy of Railway Modeller today, two fascinating 4mm layouts, but in the book reviews section is a book all about LKX. It's not the cheapest, but might be worth a look. Entitled "The Great British Railway Station - King's Cross" by Paul Anderson. Published by Irwell Press (978-1-911262-01-5) £27.99. Updated and expanded version of the 1991 edition apparently.

Sounds good!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Very rare for me, but I picked up a copy of Railway Modeller today, two fascinating 4mm layouts, but in the book reviews section is a book all about LKX. It's not the cheapest, but might be worth a look. Entitled "The Great British Railway Station - King's Cross" by Paul Anderson. Published by Irwell Press (978-1-911262-01-5) £27.99. Updated and expanded version of the 1991 edition apparently.

Sounds good!

Rich

Thanks Rich I'll take a look :)

Having had a rather sleepless night thinking I'd blown the decoder I tried again around 6 this morning. I fitted the blanking chip again and tested in dc, the 08 worked, great it wasn't a dud, ithrn fitted the sound decoder again and through one squinted eye I tried again and it worked :D

Now the weathering can begin but I'll post that on another thread.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich I'll take a look :)

Having had a rather sleepless night thinking I'd blown the decoder I tried again around 6 this morning. I fitted the blanking chip again and tested in dc, the 08 worked, great it wasn't a dud, ithrn fitted the sound decoder again and through one squinted eye I tried again and it worked :D

Now the weathering can begin but I'll post that on another thread.

Cheers

Yup, been there and done that! Glad to hear all is well and your progressing with weathering the test bed ;) let me know when you want the production version! Haha!

Rich

The sounds you are going to need which will not be standard are the tyre squeals and suspension and frame noises as the stock got around the curves and gradient transitions. The 40s and Peaks were distinctively different from 'all the rest', much more groaning, thuds and clonking. Oh, and another one which a deprived youth will have prevented you hearing live; the insanity which was the EE type 2 'Baby Deltic'. Even for a period more relaxed about matters environmental these machines were incredibly loud in the upper register from the turbocharger's wail, even with the loco itself moving at dead slow, aided by hard surfaces all about to 'keep the noise in'.

A fixed speaker array to provide the main station 'background music', especially of Deltic departures and arrivals with the acoustic variations provided by the trainshed, open throat and 'piped' by the tunnel, definitely worth considering. It is all so soulless now, none of the fondly remembered atmos. with largely electric traction doing the work efficiently...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks mate, background noise is something I've thought about in the past and experimented with slightly, mostly animals and birds etc but it does bring another dimension especially when making a video. The noises that I still remember fondly are the fans on the 81's and 86's echoing around Lime street, sadly missed :(

Thanks again

• Like 1

Paul,

Sounds good!

Rich

Just purchased the same its predominantly steam I was hoped for more 70's but lots of detail

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The sounds you are going to need which will not be standard are the tyre squeals and suspension and frame noises as the stock got around the curves and gradient transitions. The 40s and Peaks were distinctively different from 'all the rest', much more groaning, thuds and clonking. Oh, and another one which a deprived youth will have prevented you hearing live; the insanity which was the EE type 2 'Baby Deltic'. Even for a period more relaxed about matters environmental these machines were incredibly loud in the upper register from the turbocharger's wail, even with the loco itself moving at dead slow, aided by hard surfaces all about to 'keep the noise in'.

A fixed speaker array to provide the main station 'background music', especially of Deltic departures and arrivals with the acoustic variations provided by the trainshed, open throat and 'piped' by the tunnel, definitely worth considering. It is all so soulless now, none of the fondly remembered atmos. with largely electric traction doing the work efficiently...

Peaks and EE type 4's were in theory prohibited from the stabling point, witness the number of buffers laid on the floor to see why!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

G'day GentsNever had a problem with 40's and 46's at the passenger loco, although they did squeal a bit, 47's were the problem with picking there wheels up on a oily rail.manna

Thanks Manna, all info like this is great :) sorry if this has been asked before but how come there was never many 08's? I've just found a couple of pics of them around the station but never seen one on the loco.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Manna, all info like this is great :) sorry if this has been asked before but how come there was never many 08's? I've just found a couple of pics of them around the station but never seen one on the loco.

Cheers

I would guess because there wasn't (from my limited knowledge) any real 08 type station pilots at the Cross.  Stock workings went further out and where in the hands of Baby Deltic, 31s, N2 tanks etc, as the pilots or smaller tanks would have been too slow. Any carriage additions/removals in the 50s-70s were, I think done out at Ferme Park, as the cross wasn't designed for lots of shunt movements which would have blocked the station throat.

The above is only from observations however, not inside knowledge, so others are far likely to know more!

Rich

• Like 1

G'day Gents

Don't really know why there were so few 08's around KX, I do know they weren't that popular, especially on a 8hr night shift, No 2 shunt mostly, moving the mail vans about and CCT's out of the milk dock, at night it didn't matter that they were a bit slow, but they wouldn't have coped during the day, to much traffic about.

There was a driving technique in the Pass loco, 31's 47's and 46's, you just had to open the controller a tad and away they went, very docile, class 40's I found you had to open the controller wide until they made the very loud coughing roar, get to a couple of MPH then shut the controller and roll, 130 tons rolls well... ! Deltic's were a pain, to much power, you had to drive them like the 40's power to get them moving and then roll, and Gentle with the loco brake, or you'd lift there wheels up, moving them around on a wet night, was like walking on egg shells.

manna

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I would guess because there wasn't (from my limited knowledge) any real 08 type station pilots at the Cross.  Stock workings went further out and where in the hands of Baby Deltic, 31s, N2 tanks etc, as the pilots or smaller tanks would have been too slow. Any carriage additions/removals in the 50s-70s were, I think done out at Ferme Park, as the cross wasn't designed for lots of shunt movements which would have blocked the station throat.

The above is only from observations however, not inside knowledge, so others are far likely to know more!

Rich

Thanks mate, modellers license it is then ;) I've got to have at least three!!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

G'day GentsDon't really know why there were so few 08's around KX, I do know they weren't that popular, especially on a 8hr night shift, No 2 shunt mostly, moving the mail vans about and CCT's out of the milk dock, at night it didn't matter that they were a bit slow, but they wouldn't have coped during the day, to much traffic about.There was a driving technique in the Pass loco, 31's 47's and 46's, you just had to open the controller a tad and away they went, very docile, class 40's I found you had to open the controller wide until they made the very loud coughing roar, get to a couple of MPH then shut the controller and roll, 130 tons rolls well... ! Deltic's were a pain, to much power, you had to drive them like the 40's power to get them moving and then roll, and Gentle with the loco brake, or you'd lift there wheels up, moving them around on a wet night, was like walking on egg shells.manna

This is great Manna, love all of these kind of stories and 40's driven like they should be! It'll make it interesting operating it at least most of all these new sound decoders have a break function.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I've been following this thread and I'm looking forward to watching the build.  Perhaps I've missed it but I can't recall the baseboard size that you will be using, this is going to be quite a size I guess?

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee, I think it should fit into around 18'x 3.5'-4' but I'll have to build it in sections, like a giant jigsaw I suppose, as for the next year or two I'm really limited to space. It'll depend on where track will cross board joints etc but the longest I recon I can get away with will be 5' and the widest 2'.

Cheers