• RMweb Gold

I'll be following this with interest as my New Year project will be KX passenger loco in 00, mid '58 to mid '59. For the last few years I've dabbled with dioramas but I can no longer resist the urge to have something which 'works' and I am going for a complete change.

More on my 'whys and wherefores' in the New Year but I can say that Google and Flickr are your friends. There is a lot out there and I've seen much on the more modern scene. Be persistent, find period magazines - there are tons on eBay.

As a teenager I went to the Cross just once in Deltic days and I can still hear the din For greatest atmosphere I'd suggest settling on a period and sticking to it. The place change subtlety over the years so the date can be roughly identified even without an engine in the picture.

One other point is that the area was far from flat. The yard sits just above the main line which itself ran downhill into Gas Works tunnel. Then there is platform 16 which appears at about 1 in 40 form the Widened Lines. A challenge for baseboard construction!

Good luck!

Thanks Trevor, I'll be looking forward to how you get on to :) Flickr is great but not many pics of the stores building next to the shed, well not so far anyway.

I really like the idea it's on different levels it makes it more interesting I think, as for a time period il be going for mid 60's so I can have the mix of greens and blues, I can't wait although it's going to be a slow project I think, but hopefully the ball will start rolling like yourself in the new year mate.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Paul, I forgot to mention the LNER forum. Don't be fooled by the name, it also covers later eras. Also I found Colour Rail useful - just type Kings Cross into each of the categories. Rail Photoprints and RailOnLine also have material.

By 'stores building' I presume you mean the long narrow building next to the main line? If so you should find at least some help on the above sites. I keep thinking about brick counting on this from photos, then I think of something else to do! :)think the newer shed joined on to this after my period was referred to by railwayman as 'The Elephant House'.

With luck my 'tame carpenter' (I am useless at wood!) will be starting on my baseboards in January...

• RMweb Gold

Paul, I forgot to mention the LNER forum. Don't be fooled by the name, it also covers later eras. Also I found Colour Rail useful - just type Kings Cross into each of the categories. Rail Photoprints and RailOnLine also have material.

By 'stores building' I presume you mean the long narrow building next to the main line? If so you should find at least some help on the above sites. I keep thinking about brick counting on this from photos, then I think of something else to do! :)think the newer shed joined on to this after my period was referred to by railwayman as 'The Elephant House'.

With luck my 'tame carpenter' (I am useless at wood!) will be starting on my baseboards in January...

I have a carpenter to ;) yes the long brick building, I've counted bricks on my last layout when I was building the bridge, it's therapeutic at first until you loose count then the novelty suddenly disappears :(

The elephant house sounds about right, must admit I prefer the open fuelling points myself, suppose it's a northern thing ;)

Thanks again for the links Trevor I'll take a look at them as soon as I can.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

I have the building and shed drawn up for laser cutting out at some point. The tricky part is the multiple levels and lack of clear pictures.

Hi

The best photo I have found showing the levels in the loco yard is this one. http://railphotoprints.uk/p683721011

Just tested the link, it doesn't take you straight to the photo but the thumbnails of teh gallery, it is about halfway down on the right.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Getting the correct levels will certainly be a challenge but essential to the character I think. Just for added fun I'll have the turntable to consider! Still, what is life without a challenge or two.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone and some nice pics there Clive, Crewe north looks easier to do nice an flat ;)

This pic here shows the various track levels off pretty well to

https://flic.kr/p/kCt6dP

In the past I've just used various layers of cork underlay to get the different hights but 7mm is a whole new ball game.

Thanks again

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone and some nice pics there Clive, Crewe north looks easier to do nice an flat ;)

This pic here shows the various track levels off pretty well to

https://flic.kr/p/kCt6dP

In the past I've just used various layers of cork underlay to get the different hights but 7mm is a whole new ball game.

Thanks again

Now that one really does show what we're up against!

• RMweb Gold

I can't wait for you to commence this project, Paul.

Kings Cross loco was one of my favourite places to watch from the platform end 40-45 years ago.

Thanks Jonny I'm looking forward to getting started on this to (although a little sad Lime street didn't have such facilities) it's going to be a long project though and built in sections, as anyone who's seen my other layout thread will know my modelling space will be pretty limited for the next couple of years so I'll have to build it in a modular kind of way.

I must admit the more I read the thread on the LNER forum the more excited I'm getting, suppose I'll have to learn to like Deltics to ;)

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I knew you would :yes:

Good luck with the build.

:offtopic:

What's Daisy's Seasonal attire this year?

It took a lot of consideration Andy ;)

Up to now Dasie's seasonal attire this year has been forced upon the baby, to the relief of Daisie dog.

9EFD683F-9134-4E4E-83AE-64493FF85028_zps

Cheers

Foam board?

Possible idea mate

• Like 2