Maunsell 58' rebuilt non-gangwayed coaches and where to shove my lamp?

Dale

Hi folks. I may be blind but looking at the brake end of my Hornby model, I don't see a bracket to hang a lamp on.

Now on a track with joint running, I believe that a lamp would have to be displayed appropriate to the regional practice of the owners of the next box. I.e., the next section is operated by the GWR so discs off and lamps on... but where to put it???

D.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Goodness me - your signalmen must have got very bored with Regulation 19 - Train Passed Without Tail-lamp - by now! The requirement to have a lit tail-lamp at the rear of every train - and for this purpose even a light engine or engines constitutes a train - was unconnected with individual company practices, having been a mandatory requirement since way back in Victorian times.

I don't see a hanger on those brake ends, either. And Mike King's pics in Southern Coaches are unhelpful in this respect. So attaching a lamp about two-thirds of the way down the left hand side of the end (if you see what I mean) about a quarter of the way across but probably left of the step, should look about right. It had to be where the guard could safely reach to hang it and remove it while standing on the platform.

Goodness me - your signalmen must have got very bored with Regulation 19 - Train Passed Without Tail-lamp - by now! The requirement to have a lit tail-lamp at the rear of every train - and for this purpose even a light engine or engines constitutes a train - was unconnected with individual company practices, having been a mandatory requirement since way back in Victorian times.

Although some railways used a "last vehicle" marker board (the LB&SCR, for one). The critical element is that the last vehicle (and only the last vehicle) is identified by the presence of a clearly visible indicator so that signalmen can confirm that the train is complete upon leaving the block section. The lamp, if one is used, does not need to be lit during the hours of daylight in order to fulfill this function, although some railways may have (and were entirely at liberty to do so) specified in their Rules that the lamp was to be lit at all times.

There are certain circumstances where having a lit tail lamp at all times may be a necessity, an example that comes to mind being where there are automatic or semi-automatic signals which a driver is permitted to pass at danger after a stipulated time has elapsed. He is then driving on line of sight and needs to see the rear of the train ahead so as not to run into it. Whish does beg the question as to what the rules were on the LBSCR in the event of a train having to be assisted in rear having become to stand in a tunnel.

Regards,

Jim