BRM Poll - The future

Andy Y

The future  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that modern technology, such as laser-cutting and 3D printing, will eventually replace traditional approaches such as etches and whitemetal components?

• I think the modern technologies will replace traditional approaches very soon.
    • I think the modern technologies will replace traditional approaches at some point.
    • I think there is a place for mixed-media approaches
    • I think modern technologies are very unlikely to replace traditional approaches

Constructing model railways is my hobby, which means I'm not going to choose the fastest or cheapest method, or even the one that gives the best results, if there is another method with a process that I prefer.  For instance, when building a baseboard, I chose to use mortise and tenon joinery because I enjoy woodwork - using a laser cut baseboard (or even joining wood with wood screws) would give just as good a result in a lot less time, but I would get less enjoyment out of building it.

They will all find a place, horses for courses so to speak.

I've just had some simple etches done from my own artwork for the first time.

I cannot see any other material other than thin brass which would have given the right combination of attributes, very fine parts which are strong and can be joined by a strong method, soldering.

Maybe one day 3D printing will offer an alternative but I do not see it any time soon.

I have used some 3D printed components and very good they are too. I wouldn't have wanted to make them from brass etches.

As I say, horses for courses.

• RMweb Gold

That's nothing, I am working on stuff for September at the moment!

Sorry, by then I will have swapped to Classic Bus magazine, as we will have forgotten what trains look like down here on the Seaford branch. The rail replacement buses and coaches are far more varied than the 95% 313 / 5% 377 fare we should have. We have even had London buses down here.

At the moment?  Nope, not unless you want to pay quite a substantial sum for a 3D printed OO gauge body!  I find in N scale there's a good balance between the detail and cost, as it's also cheaper to print something smaller, I believe that in the future it will be a mixed medium, 3D printing can certainly replace some aspects of kit construction (a comparison to cast resin comes to mind like on JLTRT's kits) but I certainly don't believe it will ever take over entirely.

I've lived my entire model-making life in permanent, if mild, dissatisfaction with the quality and accuracy of what I could achieve with what was available at the time - although improving year by year.

Having now got to a stage where available models, materials and tools have reached really quite respectable levels that I struggle to find fault with, I'm not going to go back to the level of finish which can currently be produced with 3D printing of large components.

It is great for some small items. It is a valuable addition to the tool kit. It has fantastic potential. But it is nowhere near the stage of being able to print off whole replicas to a satisfactory quality at the moment  .......  and won't be for well over a decade in my view, possibly two. 

I think it should be used for awkward shaped parts that are not seen or not prominent. Some of the current attempts to 3D print whole bodies (and not just in this hobby but in many others too) are frankly embarrassing and risk giving 3D printing a bad name which could well hamper its development in future.

Best to learn to walk properly before running.

If railway modeling maintains it's popularity into the next generation I have little doubt that 3D printing will be a huge proportion of it. As it will be through wider manufacturing around the world.

My eldest son is learning to design and print objects from year 2 at school. I learnt sheet metal soldering from year 8 at school it is no longer taught at any of the schools I work (I am a trade teacher) electrical soldering is still taught but why anyone in 15-20 years time would bother having to learn to solder an etched kit when they could design and print out or laser cut what they want (with skills they already have) is the question we need to ask ourselves. Undoubtedly some of us will prefer  to stay with tried and true methods but if the hobby is to go on I believe 3d printing is a more likely way people will access railway modeling in the future.  

Archived