Class 37 ActiveDrive v16.03 - CV question

rushdenx1

I have a Class 37 fitted with Digitrains Zimo ActiveDrive Sound v16.03.  I love the sound but was wondering if there was a way of adjusting a CV value to

make the sound step kick in at a lower speed.  My layout is not very long and on my NCE PowerCab I currently have to be around 60 and 80 steps before the sound

goes to the next levels.  Thanks Kevin.   

I have a Class 37 fitted with Digitrains Zimo ActiveDrive Sound v16.03.  I love the sound but was wondering if there was a way of adjusting a CV value to

make the sound step kick in at a lower speed.  My layout is not very long and on my NCE PowerCab I currently have to be around 60 and 80 steps before the sound

goes to the next levels.  Thanks Kevin.   

Hi Kevin.

There are many CVs used in this project which influence the way it progresses through the engine sounds available. If you have changed any of these, that may be the reasonthe decoder is not reacting as you anticipate. The advice I give below assumes all the CVs, with the exception of those concerned only with loco address, are as delivered with your decoder when new. If you want to be sure that's the case, please reset the sound project to its default values with CV8 = 8. (remember that the address will revert to '3').

The basic transition points are set within the project and cannot be adjusted without reblowing the decoder. These are at Speed Steps 1, 40 and 60.

That said, there are a number of options built into the project to allow full power sounds on even the shortest layouts.

The way the decoder processes these thresholds is partly dependent upon the way you operate the throttle control. If you gently add speed steps to accelerate, then the changes will not occur until the thesholds listed above have been reached. If you open the throttle more quickly, the decoder will automatically (but temporarilly) reduce the thresholds so that transitions occur more quickly. Once acceleration is complete, the decoder reverts to using the coded thresholds and waits for your next control input.

The most obvious and accessible 'positive' way to attain full power in a short length is the use of F key 5. This changes the sound project to a different set of (lower) thresholds, also hard coded during project creation. These are SS1 for part power and SS 20 for full thrash. If your model is travelling at SS 25 then it should, with F 5 enganged, play the highest power sounds.

If you wish to reduce the power (sound) either press F6 to force the sound to idle, or reduce throttle value by a single speed step, and the engine will spool down to mid power.  A speed step redution of 10 or more in one movement will cause the sound to spool down to idle.

Try these driving tips to see if you can find a combination which suits you and your layout. Let us know how you get on, please.

Kind regards,

Paul

Many Thanks Paul for your detailed response.  I have tried the F5 / F6 combination and it works a treat. Thrashtastic !!!  :no: . I also tried opening the throttle more quickly and that also gives an excellent quicker ramp up. Thanks again. Kevin.

Kevin,

I'm a modeller myself so I try to cover all operational eventualities in my sound projects to avoid the frustration often created by other project's inability to adapt to changing circumstances.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived