4mm Hfirrs3 Cargowaggon IWA twin van kit - now with single van version as well!

jonhall

Perhaps Railtec might be interested, if someone has some square-on photos to work from. 

Yes i'm awaiting a reply from Steve hopefully if hes not snowed under with commision's he can do this for the kit and i'm sure it would come in useful for other vans too!

Yes i'm awaiting a reply from Steve hopefully if hes not snowed under with commision's he can do this for the kit and i'm sure it would come in useful for other vans too!

If memory serves I think the stumbling block is decent side-on images (and they would have to be really side-on) of the Cargowaggon and Transferry brandings. Or better still if someone has artwork. The only alternative is to recreate them from scratch by hand, and whilst feasible, it's the kind of job which needs a decent amount of time setting aside (and time is always at a premium).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've today approved the sample of the second batch of Cargowaggon twin vans, I hope that the full production should be available for collection at Scalefourum, but CMA have been really slow this time.

There has been a small cost increase to me as both the resin and brass components have gone up (and a new phototool for the etch) but I'm absorbing that, so the price stays at £50 for the twins. 

I hope people will still support the kit, rather than hold on for a rtr version, this has been deliberately designed to be very simple to assemble, but I won't be producing any more once the new batch has gone. 

Jon

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

At last! The body castings arrived yesterday and I've packed about half into boxes, so about a dozen pairs are ready for dispatch, with the others waiting for me to laser cut a few more floors.

Cost £50 per pair, plus postage at cost (should be £4.40 for up to 4).

PM to reserve yours now.

Thanks

Jon

• 5 weeks later...

So I'm delighted to report I've taken delivery of the whitemetal castings, and that therefore the first batch is available for sale.

But first a bit more instructions:

I'm supplying a laser cut floor and spacers, the idea is that an M2.5 or M3 nut (not supplied and I need to check which size is right) will fit into the cross of the 't' that is cut in the spacer, and can be secured in place with a small drop of rapid epoxy applied with a cocktail stick. These spacers can then be glued into the bodyshell, and provided no glue gets on the chassis, it can still be removable. In practice the prototype pair of vans did not seem to need the spacers glued in, but it might make the whole wagon more stable in the long run if they are.

attachicon.gifctwinfloor001.jpg

attachicon.gifctwinfloor002.jpg

attachicon.gifctwinfloor003.jpg

The spacers and floor are clear acrylic, with a protective film on both sides, this is intended to be peeled off, but as it photographs a bit better with it present, I have left it on.

The location of the air cyilnder is engraved onto the floor, the ends of the actuation arms should be more or less on the centerline of the wagon.

attachicon.gifctwinfloor004.jpg

and these are a cruel close up of the whitemetal springs, based on 3d prints from Martin McDermott.

attachicon.gifctwinfloor005.jpg

The price is £50 per pair, for 2x bodyshells, acrylic floors & spacers, whitemetal springs, axleboxes, buffers and brake equipment, and etched W irons and ferry fittings. please contact me by pm to find out about payment and postage options. The first batch is only 22 pairs of which a number have already gone.

Jon

will you ever be doing these as single units

These are twin vans - the singles are rather different, however if you wanted to build them as two singles I could supply a pair with 4 extra buffers at the same price - I'm just not going to split a pair to sell a single!

If I can get rid of the rest of this batch (I need to sell about a dozen pairs more) then I have most of a master for the single van ready - just needs the roof ribs and central cover finishing off - then sending to the casters. All the whitemetal moulds were laid out to have enough buffers for the singles as a follow on.

Jon

These are twin vans - the singles are rather different, however if you wanted to build them as two singles I could supply a pair with 4 extra buffers at the same price - I'm just not going to split a pair to sell a single!

If I can get rid of the rest of this batch (I need to sell about a dozen pairs more) then I have most of a master for the single van ready - just needs the roof ribs and central cover finishing off - then sending to the casters. All the whitemetal moulds were laid out to have enough buffers for the singles as a follow on.

Jon

sounds good. might wait for them to come out then.

sounds good. might wait for them to come out then.

I wouldn't hold your breath! The second batch of twins has sold very slowly - I suspect there are a lot of people hoping that Revolution might announce them in 4mm as a follow on to the 2mm, and then the resin casters took AGES to turn out the last set of vans - not the 8-12 weeks promised but nearly 6 months. 20-odd pairs of vans is taking up a great deal of space in my workshop that could be much better used by other things.

Jon

Jon

Isn't the number of bodyside ribs different on the singles to the twins? I'll have to go back and check, always fancied attempting a single on an old Hornby ferrywagon base.

I wouldn't hold your breath! The second batch of twins has sold very slowly - I suspect there are a lot of people hoping that Revolution might announce them in 4mm as a follow on to the 2mm, and then the resin casters took AGES to turn out the last set of vans - not the 8-12 weeks promised but nearly 6 months. 20-odd pairs of vans is taking up a great deal of space in my workshop that could be much better used by other things.

Jon

okay, looks like i might have to get a twin pack then. not too sure tho as my layouts on a budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the number of bodyside ribs different on the singles to the twins? I'll have to go back and check, always fancied attempting a single on an old Hornby ferrywagon base.

Yes, and they are a different length as well, as I say I have the master 80% finished, but until a few more twins find a new home I'm reluctant to do any more.

I did have a plan to do some etched sides to convert the Hornby VIX to a Belgian or French van, but it proved more trouble than it was worth.

Jon

• Like 1

Yes, and they are a different length as well, as I say I have the master 80% finished, but until a few more twins find a new home I'm reluctant to do any more.

I did have a plan to do some etched sides to convert the Hornby VIX to a Belgian or French van, but it proved more trouble than it was worth.

Jon

Looks like I might have to buy another pair, Jon.

The Hornby VIX is so narrow, you could always do cast resin sides to fit on the outside of the body- it would make up the difference...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Do you still have plenty available?

I need to list a few bits on eBay to free up some funds, but I think a Cargowaggon pair would be ideal on my clay layout. Out of interest what is the overall length over buffers (to ensure It will Fit in the work?)

Edit: forgot to add was there any luck with transfers?

Edited by The Fatadder

Hi Jon,

Do you still have plenty available?

I need to list a few bits on eBay to free up some funds, but I think a Cargowaggon pair would be ideal on my clay layout. Out of interest what is the overall length over buffers (to ensure It will Fit in the work?)

Edit: forgot to add was there any luck with transfers?

Rich,

I have no shortage at the moment - that's part of the problem, they are taking up space that I don't have - my workshop is full, and like a shunting puzzle with too many wagons, I'm starting to double handle everything just to make room to work! 

Length over buffers will slightly depend on how tight a radius you need the inter-wagon coupling gap to accommodate, I would guess that 360mm would probably be about right over buffer heads.

I've supplied all that I have to Railtec, and indicated that there are going to potentially be 50 sales for the twin van, which seems like a reasonably sound number to make worth the effort, perhaps PM to him might provide the nudge to make it happen? If I do a single, then they too will be a 50 batch size because of the resin casters minimum numbers, which would only require a different number series to be available, and as a bonus I'd think there are enough Heljan Cargowaggons out there to gain a few more sales for the transfers being used by modellers? I admit being frustrated, because I'm sure lack of transfers hinders sales of the kits, but understand as well as anyone that there are only so many hours in the day, and if you can't make more then something else has to not get done.

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the confirmation, length sounds fine for the loading siding

I will definitely drop Railtec a line (and will definitely be taking one kit off your hands, it will just take a week or so to shift a bunch of surplus Heljan cargowaggons and a 66 through eBay to fund it)

If you do follow it up with a single I will definitely be interested!