4mm Hfirrs3 Cargowaggon IWA twin van kit - now with single van version as well!

jonhall

With our wanting to break topic too much, about to order 3 sets of transfers then remembered there's some other wagon branding I need but can't remember who does them: Grainflow transfers for the big bogie polybulk style wagons. Had a quick look through your list but can't see them so thought I'd ask if I'm just being blind or do I need to look elsewhere? Thanks.

Hello Satans's Goldfish

Fox transfers for Grainflow Polybulk Transfers

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/grainflow-polybulk-hopper-elements

Cheers Trailrage

• 5 months later...

Now I've evicted the ship from my model workbench I felt it really was time to build my own kit for the Cargowaggon twin vans - the 'prototype' pair are already primered (but I'd forgotten about the etched ramshorns) and the second pair are ready to go to the paintshop.

Jon

IMG_20190223_132648.jpg.d997d3c87ee2c1a1d363f458797df67e.jpgIMG_20190223_132641.jpg.794cb7f2ddca3627e5b75feb20b42e98.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I'm ready to press go on my resin cargowaggon single van. Resin body by CMA, etched W Irons, Laser Acrylic floor and spacers and the whitemetal springs/axleboxes/brake gear all in the same style as my twin van project of a couple of years ago

Likely to be about £28-30 and available in 12 or so weeks depending on the casters, and I need to be confident of about 35 sales to make it worth doing.

Jon

• Like 7

16 hours ago, jonhall said:

I think I'm ready to press go on my resin cargowaggon single van. Resin body by CMA, etched W Irons, Laser Acrylic floor and spacers and the whitemetal springs/axleboxes/brake gear all in the same style as my twin van project of a couple of years ago

Likely to be about £28-30 and available in 12 or so weeks depending on the casters, and I need to be confident of about 35 sales to make it worth doing.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Definitely interested in some, just to check, are these the correct ones here;

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/germanvan/h23bb31f9

Thanks in advance,

Will

Ohh that's nice!

I've just paid the CMA Invoice for the bodyshell, so should be 8-12 weeks away - Whitemetal castings also ordered, I just need to work out the phototool number for the revised etch (I seem to only have the original number) and I can order those, and the CAD for the laser floor and truss has been done, but needs the castings to finalise, but I should get an approval casting in advance of the main batch, so I can check them with that.

Jon 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

My Cargowaggon Single kit is finally available.

Resin bodyshell,

Etched W-irons and ferry fittings

Whitemetal springs, axleboxes, buffers etc

Laser cut acrylic floor and spacers,

Laser cut Rowmark trusses.

£27.50 plus £1.25 in paypal fees 

£3.85 postage 1st class in the UK for any number of vans.

PM for details of how to get your hands on them.

Thanks

Jon

cargowaggon single1.jpg

cargowaggon single2.jpg

cargowaggon single3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

As the first kits have hit the doormats of customers, and been torn open and started, I have been asked about location of the air brake distributor - these are the photos I have that sort of show location - if you follow the pressure release handle from the bottom of the distributor, it end s up as the white loop that you see just above the step, so I would put it in the middle of the wagon, opposite the cylinder assembly.

Jon

0904250435.JPG.163da0a789d80f28aa243398691d87c0.JPG0904250434.JPG.9cd20f5c13e4669d8418c6d187d47553.JPG0904250436.JPG.492e3aa20d5c09ec587d50e279bfed63.JPG0804260583.JPG.9c9bc25f6faf3fac8372fc18de583838.JPG0804260582.JPG.b2aa6e01cc1afa3f8389616aa284dcff.JPG0804260581.JPG.fc8a5ace9a38c9ca9f40b39cc14b9ccf.JPG0804260584.JPG.e858666575eb86d7c9a0a67b4cd93a72.JPG0804260580.JPG.225ffccdf20963252d9a57f0bdf59d6f.JPG0804260025.JPG.fda84389e0ef4764dd3571928c3742e4.JPG

Edited by jonhall
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jon, really helpful photos for when I get back to building tonight.

Hopefully should get the detailing done later, and weather permitting be in the paint shop tomorrow / Monday.   Just trying to remember which yellow I used on the twin set.

06B8A8D4-A48A-459A-B016-57D7C35832A7.jpeg

F6D45437-1ED5-4463-A864-BE2723CD53B3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

My van is now ready to enter the paint shop, the castings have been fitted to plasticard spacers lowering them below the solebar as per the prototype.   I have also added some steps made from a Bill Bedford seacow mesh.  Shame the weather forecast isnt great which will slow down the painting.

It still needs a decision about the handrails (although either way they would be added after painting), looks a real pig of a job to drill and fit them all (but it does make a huge difference).  If I do it I would also need to go back and retrofit to my twin set as well....

928948C5-A394-4D0D-981D-61B597213619.jpeg

C3FF9433-DBDE-443E-91EB-C1318E87F4EE.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Just a quick update, I've in theory sold 2/3rds of the batch, although the actual number of paid for (and therefore dispatched) is rather closer 50%.

If it helps decide a few minds, I'm not going to be doing another batch of these, the cost of the resin shells has almost doubled since I did the twin vans, and the whitemetal bits went up 60% so they are only barely worth doing, mostly for the technical challenge rather than any financial gain. 

Jon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

I unearthed the box that contains my remaining stock of single van kits, I still have a few left, and I'd quite like to recover the space!

Resin bodyshell,

Etched W-irons and ferry fittings

Whitemetal springs, axleboxes, buffers etc

Laser cut acrylic floor and spacers,

Laser cut Rowmark trusses.

£27.50 plus £1.25 in paypal fees (or you could friends and family)

£3.85 postage 1st class in the UK for any number of vans.

PM for details of how to get your hands on them.

Thanks

Jon

• jonhall changed the title to 4mm Hfirrs3 Cargowaggon IWA twin van kit - now with single van version as well!

I will be at Tolworth Showtrain over the weekend, and will have the last 5 kits in boxes with me, if anyone wants to have a look before purchasing, or to save themselves postage, please ask for me at the club stand in the main hall and someone will know where to find me. 

This kit won't be repeated (unless there is someone out there that wants 50! ) so once they are gone...

Jon

• 2 months later...

We are close to a solution for transfers, Steve at Railtec has designed a set, we are just trying to sort out how they will be sold, either exclusively from me (Steve's preference) or  from Railtec as a standard line item (my preference), once we have resolved that and have a price, I will post again.

The sheet would cover enough lettering for 2 wagons, with 4 running numbers possible.

Jon

image.png.825a5457a6cd07b64b4c8cc799d87be2.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In order to help fulfil Jon's promise to me that there would be no problem in selling a sufficient quantity of packs to make it worthwhile in supporting him in his venture, below is a link to the single van pack in question.

The decision was made to put the pack on open sale instead of there being a bulk sale at discount to Jon, the latter model typical in helping cover the set-up costs of all the research, careful varied design in the markings and testing. Now that Jon has sold all of his stock there will hopefully be sufficient reciprocal support to make it a viable endeavour for everybody, and maintain the spirit to support other similar projects for the community - so hopefully this is ok with Admin. I know a number of you have reached out and purchased already, which I appreciate.

4mm-8566
https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4825

I understand there were around 50 units manufactured, so I'm told that should be transfers for 50 vans required from Railtec? Or have people made other arrangements?

It's good to see that the work in getting the product to market has prompted the flurry to help Jon sell all his stock. Looking forward to seeing some of the finished articles. Now back to the daily grind :)

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 3