J & M Hughes

mike hughes

They’re 2 different diagrams to the Queen Mary. The LBSCR rebuilds are to diagram 1580 (the first one 56263 is slightly different) numbers 56263-81 built 1933-34 and lasted in normal traffic to the 50’s, 5 were allocated to long welded rail trains at Redbridge and lasted bit longer. Was told that the bogies are extremely similar to the LNWR Oerlikon units (1 preserved at NRM)

The new builds are to diagram 1550 built 1936 and lasted to this century numbers 56282-306, some had normal planked sides, some had the guards part sheeted from new and also some had fully sheeted sides from new.

Info taken from Illustrated history SR Wagons volume 4

Hope that helps

Michael

l

Thank you Michael,

So the LBSCR rebuilds to diagram 1580 were the ones with windows?

Regards,

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

This is the one I'd like to do S56287, which I believe lived in the Wadebridge area:

post-6675-0-66273000-1521212070_thumb.jpg

S0ds Law shows that it's steel clad on all the sides. I think all the available kits are wooden sided. Never straightforward...

Edit: Did I read correctly that you were doing the planked, part steel and full steel sided Queen Mary Diag 1550 body options?

• Like 2

This is the one I'd like to do S56287, which I believe lived in the Wadebridge area:

attachicon.gifIMAG3834.jpg

S0ds Law shows that it's steel clad on all the sides. I think all the available kits are wooden sided. Never straightforward...

Edit: Did I read correctly that you were doing the planked, part steel and full steel sided Queen Mary Diag 1550 body options?

Yes you did read correctly, I still need to do the floor/solebar master yet. I've done the sides and outer end so far. Will do the other bits as and when I can

Michael

Edited to add that I've drawn round the coach roof profiles and added them to the website in the Accessories page

Edited by mike hughes
  • Like 1

I'm getting close to finishing the artwork for the first coach (DMBS) of the Derby lightweight. It covers from 79021 upwards. The etch will also suit the Class 108 as well as had the same basic bodyshell.

As a commission a few months back I was asked to produce the underframe boxes for a Class 104 DMU and will soonish start on another commission for a Class 127 underframe boxes.

Michael

Hi Michael

With you doing the underframe for a class 104 is there a possibility of doing a full kit of one?

Rob

Hi Michael

With you doing the underframe for a class 104 is there a possibility of doing a full kit of one?

Rob

That had crossed my mind as well; all I can say is be patient as need to do the drawings for other things first but I’m sure a 104/110 will come

Michael

And just to add to my recent going ons at home, my CAD program decided to stop working (Autocad) so had to find a new free one which is DWG friendly (NANOCAD) Done that last night but yet to use it as. Guessing there would be a few differences.

Michael

That had crossed my mind as well; all I can say is be patient as need to do the drawings for other things first but I’m sure a 104/110 will come

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply,I'm in no rush for a 104 kit but I just fancy doing the Mexican Bean unit for our clubs Scottish based layout,a 110 would be nice as well!.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply,I'm in no rush for a 104 kit but I just fancy doing the Mexican Bean unit for our clubs Scottish based layout,a 110 would be nice as well!.

Rob

Hi Rob

Can't imagine itll be this year.

For anyone else that's unware the 104 and 110 have the same measurements on the bodyside, just the ends and underframe are different and the 110 has window overlays

Michael

I'm getting towards finishing the artwork for the Derby lightweight Driving motor brake and the Driving motor/Driving trailer/trailer second (The last 3 are the same etch but will double check on that).

Also I've been asked to draw up a Bulleid coach as well.

Michael

I'm getting towards finishing the artwork for the Derby lightweight Driving motor brake and the Driving motor/Driving trailer/trailer second (The last 3 are the same etch but will double check on that).

Also I've been asked to draw up a Bulleid coach as well.

Michael

Which Bulleid coach Michael?

Alan

Which Bulleid coach Michael?

Alan

Forgot to mention, it’s a Brake Composite dia 2405 numbers 6700-12 (these made up a 2 car with the semi open brake). I already do the Semi open brake and corridor composite (both 10.25” vents)

Also I’ve filled out the application for trading at the larger scale show and paid for my space. So will be going.

Michael

Michael, is a D2406 on your list? This was a 'loose' BCK which could be very useful for those space starved modellers wanting a single coach train.

The reason I was doing dia 2405 as I asked the customer and he replied wanting a 2 coach set. It most definitely crossed my mind on doing a dia 2406 as you said would have a wider appeal. I’m sure one will appear.

Michael

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The reason I was doing dia 2405 as I asked the customer and he replied wanting a 2 coach set. It most definitely crossed my mind on doing a dia 2406 as you said would have a wider appeal. I’m sure one will appear.

Michael

Good news Michael.

In the 4mm world manufacturers haven't really understood the set/loose coach system the Southern used and have fairly consistently failed to produced enough of the right type of brakes to enable the majority of sets to be produced.

Bachmann only produced 1 type of Bulleid brake and this wasn't a D2405 or D2406. When Hornby did their Maunsell coaches iirc they initially produced just the one type of brake and then a second obscure type. They produced a huge number of all 1sts (not a common type in sets). The brakes sold out really quickly, I think the firsts are still to be found in bargain bins. ;-p

Hornby finally got it when sales reflected what people were telling them - produce lots (number and types) of brakes!

I'm always puzzled as to why the Bulleid BCK coaches were produced in D2405/6 varieties. No difference in seating capacity, just a toilet in a different position and an extra roof periscope on the D2406. No real need for the D2405?

Good news Michael.

In the 4mm world manufacturers haven't really understood the set/loose coach system the Southern used and have fairly consistently failed to produced enough of the right type of brakes to enable the majority of sets to be produced.

Bachmann only produced 1 type of Bulleid brake and this wasn't a D2405 or D2406. When Hornby did their Maunsell coaches iirc they initially produced just the one type of brake and then a second obscure type. They produced a huge number of all 1sts (not a common type in sets). The brakes sold out really quickly, I think the firsts are still to be found in bargain bins. ;-p

Hornby finally got it when sales reflected what people were telling them - produce lots (number and types) of brakes!

I'm always puzzled as to why the Bulleid BCK coaches were produced in D2405/6 varieties. No difference in seating capacity, just a toilet in a different position and an extra roof periscope on the D2406. No real need for the D2405?

The only thing I can take a guess at is the first class passengers didn’t like walking through the third class section? Will we ever know?

Think I’ve definitely more chances of selling brake semi open or brake composite than a Bournemouth 6 coach set as more modellers will have space for the single coach or 2 coach set

Michael

Bulleid semi-open brake composite is just about my favourite coach (of any railway). Just nostalgia for my last UK steam-hauled trip.

Are you going to make these available as kits, or just r-t-r?

They will be available as both kits and RTR

• Like 1

What price will the kits be Michael and when will they be available?

Alan

The prices will be for RTR £240 and kit price £145 (inc bogies wheels)

The Semi open brake dia 2123 and composite dia 2318. These are available now to order. The brake composites, I still need to do the drawings and then send away. My guess would be a couple of months.

Michael

• Like 1