J & M Hughes

mike hughes

I will come & see your products at Telford then Mike :)

BTW, I love the developments & improvements you have made to the Model Express range as well as your new products !

Many thanks, must be doing something right!!

Michael

• Like 2

Some of Michael's work with a few tweaks from yours truly, plus weathering.....

Like the weathering

What some people may not realise that it’s scratchbuilt in plasticard with the ploughs from brass sheet. I hope one day to make an improvement on this

Michael

Like the weathering

What some people may not realise that it’s scratchbuilt in plasticard with the ploughs from brass sheet. I hope one day to make an improvement on this

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes it was Michael, Im sure that it could be adapted for production as a kit or RTR-charming model. I just added solebar bolt/bracket strips, works/number plates, capstan/horse shunting loops and then weathered accordingly. An alloy or brass roof would be a more robust option. There seems to be various types of 'wheel' in the verandas on prototype-not sure which types are fitted to which vehicles though. A resin and brass multimedia easy build kit would perhaps appeal to modellers that cant or dont want to solder?

Kindest,

CME

Hi Michael,

Yes it was Michael, Im sure that it could be adapted for production as a kit or RTR-charming model. I just added solebar bolt/bracket strips, works/number plates, capstan/horse shunting loops and then weathered accordingly. An alloy or brass roof would be a more robust option. There seems to be various types of 'wheel' in the verandas on prototype-not sure which types are fitted to which vehicles though. A resin and brass multimedia easy build kit would perhaps appeal to modellers that cant or dont want to solder?

Kindest,

CME

Was definitely thinking of one piece resin body, had started one quite a few months back and eventually won’t just be the BR Shark. Tried investigating how to make the ploughs in etched brass years back but couldn’t figure it out. Struggled with the angles of the flat sheet. Have thought of a new option but needs further investigation.

Regards

Michael

Alan

They could be Post-war prototypes or the companies thereafter as I brought one a few years back that needed refurbishing. If it helps this had a recess on the body to allow the window frames to go into.

Michael

Yes they did and the window frames were nickel silver its just a shame all these good kits just disappeared. I think kits of these would be very popular as would the mk 2 Manchester Pullman coaches.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Was definitely thinking of one piece resin body, had started one quite a few months back and eventually won’t just be the BR Shark. Tried investigating how to make the ploughs in etched brass years back but couldn’t figure it out. Struggled with the angles of the flat sheet. Have thought of a new option but needs further investigation.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

A nice quality resin moulding for body would be great with any visable edges being formed from finer material, if required. The ploughs? Could they be made using a high quality 3DP? Designed with CAD. I would have thought that would be ideal. The types of 3DPs coming out now can produce-from multiple materials-very fine surfaces (also down to skills of the CAD jockey), ala modelu's products et al. In MRJ this month such machines are discussed. IIRC from my own investigations, such machines are ITRO £2,500, a considered purchase, but such are making redundant machines from 5-10 yrs back, costing £60k! I presume that Shapeways et al would be upgrading to such specs too. Mindu with a 3DP, cutter, maybe laser cutter, resin moulding facilities, some basic machine tools, in ones garage a small factory ('micro-factory') can be had for reasonable money. Something my dad and I are intrigued by.....

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

It's a very interesting photo and not a one off either. Not sure how far along the Wenford line the Queen Mary brake got. I'm keeping my eyes open for a shot of one at Wenford. I could have done with the Dunmere photo a few years back when I was told in very strong terms that QMs never went on the Wenford line...

The book 'The Steaming Sixties 4. The Days That Were - The Withered Arm in Cornwall' Irwell Press 2009 , author Peter Coster, has two sections on the Wenford Bridge branch. On 17th August 1962 he travelled on the Wenford goods, and as he had official permission to do so he says a Queen Mary was attached for his use. His photos in the book show it at various locations along the line, including Wenford dries and I think, the terminus. 

There is also a photo taken of the Queen Mary at Dunmere Crossing on May 5th 1964.

Treneglos  gets a mention in the introduction to the book.

The South Western Circle used have what they called portfolios on various South Western topics, which contained relevant photos , drawings, plans, and articles, not all of which were from the railway press, which it would lend out to members.  The one on the Bodmin and Wadebridge line included an article from the company magazine of, I think , one of the car manufacturers. In this the author describes a trip from Wadebridge to to Wenford Bridge. He states that at the time (the 1960s) one could buy a return ticket to Wenford Bridge, and the Queen Mary would be attached to the Wenford goods for your use.

One of our club members is in the Circle. I must ask him if the portfolios are still available.

Hi Michael,

A nice quality resin moulding for body would be great with any visable edges being formed from finer material, if required. The ploughs? Could they be made using a high quality 3DP? Designed with CAD. I would have thought that would be ideal. The types of 3DPs coming out now can produce-from multiple materials-very fine surfaces (also down to skills of the CAD jockey), ala modelu's products et al. In MRJ this month such machines are discussed. IIRC from my own investigations, such machines are ITRO £2,500, a considered purchase, but such are making redundant machines from 5-10 yrs back, costing £60k! I presume that Shapeways et al would be upgrading to such specs too. Mindu with a 3DP, cutter, maybe laser cutter, resin moulding facilities, some basic machine tools, in ones garage a small factory ('micro-factory') can be had for reasonable money. Something my dad and I are intrigued by.....

Kind regards,

CME

I admit I know very little on 3D printing hadn’t thought along them lines. I haven’t learnt to draw in 3D yet, shouldn’t take me that long as guessing there be online tutorials.

Michael

Mike, I notice you do a Fruit D RTR on your price lst, is this available in kit form?

Unfortunately no, I made a side up and cast it in resin, some reason I left the angles that go down to the Solebar off. Big mistake. On the one I’ve done I used parkside ends and then scratch built the underframe. I’m sure I can upgrade these bits for the future

Michael

• Like 1

I admit I know very little on 3D printing hadn’t thought along them lines. I haven’t learnt to draw in 3D yet, shouldn’t take me that long as guessing there be online tutorials.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Ive been told that there are on You Tube-havent looked myself yet. Ive gotten a couple of books to read with some tutorials in. Still not sure if its for me yet though.

Would be ideal for the ploughs I would have thought though.

ATVB

CME

Hi Michael,

Ive been told that there are on You Tube-havent looked myself yet. Ive gotten a couple of books to read with some tutorials in. Still not sure if its for me yet though.

Would be ideal for the ploughs I would have thought though.

ATVB

CME

I'll investigate the 3-D drawing when I get a chance, would have to do something for the plough wheels as well as we used to use '00' wagon wheels with plastic rod!

Michael

Yes they did and the window frames were nickel silver its just a shame all these good kits just disappeared. I think kits of these would be very popular as would the mk 2 Manchester Pullman coaches.

Regards

Alan

I've haven't seen fully detailed of the drawings of the MK2 Pullmans yet, seem to remember some appeared in the Railway modeller several years ago but had no underframe detail

I didn't realise until I looked that the PRMRP MK1 Pullmans kits were no longer produced

Michael

Edited by mike hughes

One of the things I started to design ages back which it looks like I've to restart is a Sturgeon wagon kit, hadn't done anything for this for ages due to other work but as someones asked me if I do a kit. It will be for diagram 1/645 & 1/647

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all that came and said hello at the Larger scale show. A couple more things to add to my do list. A class 104 DMU to design and a Palbrick to do. Both again will be available as RTR and kits. The Palbrick the customer hadn’t specified whether it’s the A or B type etc but will be a one piece resin body with etch screw tensioners.

Michael

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I made a start on making the test builds up for the Derby Lightweight and discovered that I had the slots in the floor in the wrong place along with the slots for the footboards as well. I've corrected the drawings. I've done the drawing for the Single car version as well which covers both cars. I'll be sending these off shortly. I'll have to start another thread for my workbench with pictures of the builds.

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

is it possible to produce this in a 7mm kit?

http://departmentals.com/photo/99009-1 

http://departmentals.com/photo/99009detail

Ian G 

I'm sure it would be, I do that Maunsell BCK anyway which was used as part of the push-pull set. A new driving end with a window is no problem. Would need to see some more photos

Michael

would it be possible for a kit of a China Clay wagon vac braked?

Ian G

Yes im sure it could be possible, not sure when. Do you mean the BR 9' wb one?

Michael

Seconded.

I would be in the market for 10 to 12 of these if you produced them.

• 2 weeks later...