J & M Hughes

mike hughes

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully in the next few days I'll have some sort of paint on the Queen Mary's. Almost finished the bodies last night until realised forgot to put on the vac pipes! 2 of these are for customers. I'll have to find out if theres a different resin to use with the vacuum degassing machine (currently using Axson F180 or F190 whichever had the longer cure time) so I can supply as a kit as currently has too many air holes in.

Michael

• Like 1

Hopefully in the next few days I'll have some sort of paint on the Queen Mary's. Almost finished the bodies last night until realised forgot to put on the vac pipes! 2 of these are for customers. I'll have to find out if theres a different resin to use with the vacuum degassing machine (currently using Axson F180 or F190 whichever had the longer cure time) so I can supply as a kit as currently has too many air holes in.

Michael

I would be interested to know if you find a resin with longer cure time as I use F190 cure 9 mins but don't have a vacuum degasser. Out of interest how much do they cost?

Alan

I would be interested to know if you find a resin with longer cure time as I use F190 cure 9 mins but don't have a vacuum degasser. Out of interest how much do they cost?

Alan

Alan

I think theres one of the resin casting threads which think tells me about the resin to use.

When I brought Model Express, the vacuum degasing machine came with it. Its a large one (think 18" deep) and believe along with the pump is about £1000 and the pump was 110v. Have found this very useful for degassing the moulds to remove the air bubbles

Michael

Alan

I think theres one of the resin casting threads which think tells me about the resin to use.

When I brought Model Express, the vacuum degasing machine came with it. Its a large one (think 18" deep) and believe along with the pump is about £1000 and the pump was 110v. Have found this very useful for degassing the moulds to remove the air bubbles

Michael

Hi Michael/Hi Alan,

A friend of mine is making a fair few items for Slot Car racing hes borderline a degas machine (vacuum chamber), but was cautious as it's £1000-1500 and hes not sure if its worth it financially.

Its been 60 years since my dad did some pioneering work with resin and/or GRP etc., but IIRC, cant one also vibrate the resin in a more rudimentary way (not as effective, but good enough)? Sorry I cant remember how....

......Is this the type of kit you are thinking of:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l7WRGfnJQaM

Kindest regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

Hi Michael/Hi Alan,

A friend of mine is making a fair few items for Slot Car racing hes borderline a degas machine (vacuum chamber), but was cautious as it's £1000-1500 and hes not sure if its worth it financially.

Its been 60 years since my dad did some pioneering work with resin and/or GRP etc., but IIRC, cant one also vibrate the resin in a more rudimentary way (not as effective, but good enough)? Sorry I cant remember how....

......Is this the type of kit you are thinking of:-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l7WRGfnJQaM

Kindest regards,

CME

Hi CME

yes that’s the type of kit and yes I would imagine vibrating the resin and rubber would help to remove the bubbles

Regards

Michael

Once I've got the Bristol O gauge show over with, I'm aiming to get under way as commissions a MK1 57' suburban second (need to draw and send away to the etcher) I have wondered if at the same time to draw the 57' composite and brake suburban's. Also need to finish the drawing for Derby lightweight DMU. I've also to finish off the master for a one piece body for a VDA and also MK1 motorail carflat.

For development work would like to do the LMR end for the Class 128 parcel car and do and end for the Class 123 DMU. I've enough steam locos to choose from in the range to develop as in getting the boiler to do as a one piece casting, make the tender top in resin instead of whitemetal.

Michael

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once I've got the Bristol O gauge show over with, I'm aiming to get under way as commissions a MK1 57' suburban second (need to draw and send away to the etcher) I have wondered if at the same time to draw the 57' composite and brake suburban's. Also need to finish the drawing for Derby lightweight DMU. I've also to finish off the master for a one piece body for a VDA and also MK1 motorail carflat.

For development work would like to do the LMR end for the Class 128 parcel car and do and end for the Class 123 DMU. I've enough steam locos to choose from in the range to develop as in getting the boiler to do as a one piece casting, make the tender top in resin instead of whitemetal.

Michael

I will look forward to the VDA Michael.

For anyone who has not seen Michael's similar VAA/VBA - for me they are so much better than the Heljan version, in particular, as the roof shape curvature is correct on Michael's model.

Deltic17

Edited by deltic17

I have built 2 of the VAA and 1 in build with 1 left to build from the old Model Express range before being taken over, the price works out cheaper the RTR version.

Ian G

Its me and my dad who done the master for that a while back.

Michael

• Like 1

I've added a page on my website which will show which items that we've made that are currently available to buy. I've only added a few items so far as need to find/take photos of all the other bits. So lots more will be added

Michael

Edited to add what page I was on about!!

Edited by mike hughes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve made a start on making the SR lift link brakegear for both 9’ and 10’ wheelbase. I’d had some spare space on an etch a while back so put the brake levers there. If there’s enough call I could make an etch espically for the levers.

Also I’ve been asked to make MK1 Pullman windows as an etch. Guessing these would be n/s unless anyone has any better suggestions

Michael

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks like JLTRT has stopped trading, but TBH I'm in your market not theirs.

With the Derby Lightweight DMUs, will you do a single car unit?

Dava

• Like 1

It looks like JLTRT has stopped trading, but TBH I'm in your market not theirs.

With the Derby Lightweight DMUs, will you do a single car unit?

Dava

I can’t see why not, whether I can use the same etch for both cars as the window in the guards compartment was different

Michael

• RMweb Premium

JLTRT's demise has had one benefit, a search for them on RMweb postings brought me here. I was previously unaware of your range, of which those items with a Southern bias interest me.

I note you've applied to attend Telford trade show. Hopefully you'll get in - will be good to see what you make.

• Like 1

JLTRT's demise has had one benefit, a search for them on RMweb postings brought me here. I was previously unaware of your range, of which those items with a Southern bias interest me.

I note you've applied to attend Telford trade show. Hopefully you'll get in - will be good to see what you make.

Yes I will be Trading at Telford this year. I’ve now paid for the tables. I’ll have to find out about the Larger scale show at Reading in May as not sure whether dad done anything about that.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to make a bit of progress after having a bit of a flood.

Cast the SR lift link brake gear both 9' and 10' and also been making the master for a Leyland DMU engine block (Need to do the Rolls Royce version next, then the AEC DMU engine block afterwards)

Michael

post-1675-0-54195400-1520547572_thumb.jpgpost-1675-0-30090300-1520547592_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike hughes
  • Like 3

I'm getting close to finishing the artwork for the first coach (DMBS) of the Derby lightweight. It covers from 79021 upwards. The etch will also suit the Class 108 as well as had the same basic bodyshell.

As a commission a few months back I was asked to produce the underframe boxes for a Class 104 DMU and will soonish start on another commission for a Class 127 underframe boxes.

Michael

• Like 2

Hi Michael,

Just a question, I think your Queen Mary brakes look great, but I have never seen them with windows fitted only what looks like metal panels in there place. Have you any history on them as to when the windows were covered up.

All the best,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

Hi Michael,

Just a question, I think your Queen Mary brakes look great, but I have never seen them with windows fitted only what looks like metal panels in there place. Have you any history on them as to when the windows were covered up.

All the best,

Martyn.

They’re 2 different diagrams to the Queen Mary. The LBSCR rebuilds are to diagram 1580 (the first one 56263 is slightly different) numbers 56263-81 built 1933-34 and lasted in normal traffic to the 50’s, 5 were allocated to long welded rail trains at Redbridge and lasted bit longer. Was told that the bogies are extremely similar to the LNWR Oerlikon units (1 preserved at NRM)

The new builds are to diagram 1550 built 1936 and lasted to this century numbers 56282-306, some had normal planked sides, some had the guards part sheeted from new and also some had fully sheeted sides from new.

Info taken from Illustrated history SR Wagons volume 4

Hope that helps

Michael