J & M Hughes

mike hughes

• RMweb Premium

Michael do you have any photos of the D2123 coach, either as a kit or RTR please? Would be interested in seeing the parts that go to make it up and what materials they are made from. Couldn't see anything on your website - apologies if I've missed it.

Someone only took a very poor photo of the couple of coaches I done . They come up as out of focus and too dark. Whoops. I’ve the etch of the underframe only at the mo as modified it as the original I wasn’t happy with. I’ll take a pitch of the under frame and post. The sides are etched brass with the window frame as part of the side. The ends are resin as are the battery boxes and seats. The roof is aluminium. The water tank is rolled plasticard for depth. Kit includes T handles, pins for door stops and includes glazing, has whitemetal bogies and wheels. Hope that helps a bit

Michael

I've also done the masters ready for moulding for the Class 104 and was also asked to do castings for a 4-COR front but discovered the mould had broke so took opportunity to make some improvements. First photo is for the 104 motor coach. Things like the engine and heater are doubled and already had a battery box and radiator, the second is the centre coach.post-1675-0-22923700-1522522020_thumb.jpgpost-1675-0-89432500-1522522025_thumb.jpgpost-1675-0-62396500-1522522030_thumb.jpgpost-1675-0-48115500-1522522036_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I’m almost there in finishing some drawings to send to the etchers. There’s 7 in total. 2 for the Derby lightweight, 2 for the Bulleid Brake composites and 3 for the MK1 short suburbans. Next for the drawing stage will be the MK1 carflat underframe and MK1 Pullman windows (I’m hoping Birmingham library has what I’m looking for in their collection when I look)

Michael

• Like 1

I have built several CRT Bulleid coaches £184 each so will be interesting to see how they compare.His have brass ends and aluminium roofs and generic seating what will yours have?

Alan

I've looked at the instructions for the Bulleid CRT kits that are online. They are a few differences such as I use peco track pins for the door stops instead of been riveted out. I wonder where the droplights go, as Bulleid coaches never had them.

Michael

I've looked at the instructions for the Bulleid CRT kits that are online. They are a few differences such as I use peco track pins for the door stops instead of been riveted out. I wonder where the droplights go, as Bulleid coaches never had them.

Michael

They had door droplights or do you mean something different.

Alan

This is the one I'd like to do S56287, which I believe lived in the Wadebridge area:

attachicon.gifIMAG3834.jpg

That photo, believe it or not, was taken at Dunmere Crossing on the Wenford Bridge branch !

How they got a Queen Mary round some of those bends and tight clearances is beyond me.

In fact, I'd give my right arm to see it go past the corner cottage at Helland Bridge Crossing.

If you tried that on a model, all and sundry would deride you for creating an anachronism - truth can be stranger than fiction.

Just imagine if the Wenford Bridge branch had survived - a trip up the valley, riding in shorty coaches built on Queen Mary underframes!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

That photo, believe it or not, was taken at Dunmere Crossing on the Wenford Bridge branch !

How they got a Queen Mary round some of those bends and tight clearances is beyond me.

In fact, I'd give my right arm to see it go past the corner cottage at Helland Bridge Crossing.

If you tried that on a model, all and sundry would deride you for creating an anachronism - truth can be stranger than fiction.

Just imagine if the Wenford Bridge branch had survived - a trip up the valley, riding in shorty coaches built on Queen Mary underframes!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It's a very interesting photo and not a one off either. Not sure how far along the Wenford line the Queen Mary brake got. I'm keeping my eyes open for a shot of one at Wenford. I could have done with the Dunmere photo a few years back when I was told in very strong terms that QMs never went on the Wenford line...

• 3 weeks later...

I've looked at the Metro-Cammel drawings in Birmingham library and seen the MK1 Pullman drawings, so can make the start on the window drawings soon and at some stage do drawings for the MK1 Pullmans. I've also looked at some other interesting drawings while I was there. 

Michael

I've looked at the Metro-Cammel drawings in Birmingham library and seen the MK1 Pullman drawings, so can make the start on the window drawings soon and at some stage do drawings for the MK1 Pullmans. I've also looked at some other interesting drawings while I was there. 

Michael

I remember being given some incomplete Mk 1 Pullman cars years ago, they had brass bodies and tinplate roofs and made up well but dont remember who made them.

Alan

I remember being given some incomplete Mk 1 Pullman cars years ago, they had brass bodies and tinplate roofs and made up well but dont remember who made them.

Alan

Alan

They could be Post-war prototypes or the companies thereafter as I brought one a few years back that needed refurbishing. If it helps this had a recess on the body to allow the window frames to go into.

Michael

Got some etches and test etches back today, bad news for me noticed 2 had glaring schoolboy errors :banghead: which I need to correct.

post-1675-0-59396800-1524771834_thumb.jpg

MK1 short second suburban

post-1675-0-24260700-1524771838_thumb.jpg

Bulleid 10.25" Semi open brake, on the main big windows, youll see a half etch line that runs the length of the window, a piece of 0.5 or 0.45mm wire solders in here to help represent the window bar

post-1675-0-31617400-1524771842_thumb.jpg

Bulleid D2406 brake composite, I've added some extra bits for myself at the moment on the etch frame, some of the ones in the window that are within a etch frame are hopefully designed to make the Parkside GW brake van into a later diagram number

post-1675-0-03621800-1524771846_thumb.jpg

Bulleid D2405 brake composite

post-1675-0-68194800-1524771849_thumb.jpg

MK1 short suburban brake second

post-1675-0-36898700-1524771853_thumb.jpg

MK1 short suburban Composite

post-1675-0-15310900-1524771857_thumb.jpg

Derby non-brake DMU car

post-1675-0-19044600-1524771861_thumb.jpg

Derby brake DMU car

post-1675-0-76614100-1524771864_thumb.jpg

Showing the rear of the DMU brake, the half etch line on the body sides is where it needs to be trimmed back to for the original lightweight series, don't trim and its a 108 

Michael

• Like 3

Got some etches and test etches back today, bad news for me noticed 2 had glaring schoolboy errors :banghead: which I need to correct.

attachicon.gifIMG_1424.JPG

MK1 short second suburban

attachicon.gifIMG_1425.JPG

Bulleid 10.25" Semi open brake, on the main big windows, youll see a half etch line that runs the length of the window, a piece of 0.5 or 0.45mm wire solders in here to help represent the window bar

attachicon.gifIMG_1426.JPG

Bulleid D2406 brake composite, I've added some extra bits for myself at the moment on the etch frame, some of the ones in the window that are within a etch frame are hopefully designed to make the Parkside GW brake van into a later diagram number

attachicon.gifIMG_1427.JPG

Bulleid D2405 brake composite

attachicon.gifIMG_1428.JPG

MK1 short suburban brake second

attachicon.gifIMG_1429.JPG

MK1 short suburban Composite

attachicon.gifIMG_1430.JPG

Derby non-brake DMU car

attachicon.gifIMG_1431.JPG

Derby brake DMU car

attachicon.gifIMG_1432.JPG

Showing the rear of the DMU brake, the half etch line on the body sides is where it needs to be trimmed back to for the original lightweight series, don't trim and its a 108 

Michael

Hi Michael,

Nice work, I could be in the market for MK1 suburban stock in the future.....

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

I'm not going to Doncaster I'm afraid, ALSRM Reading and Telford yes.

With the Derby DMU need to think on what to do for the seats.

Michael

I will come & see your products at Telford then Mike :)

BTW, I love the developments & improvements you have made to the Model Express range as well as your new products !