Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

The 08 Runs to the front of the Coal Train ready to take them down to the Docks.

Question to Mike / The Stationmaster, Would the Brake Van be put to the rear, or can it stay at the head as I have done with a Trip Working?

post-9335-0-56100600-1486076107_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-94225500-1486076168_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91289100-1486076237_thumb.jpg

And it later returned with the Mis Matched Oil Tanks.

post-9335-0-79026100-1486076315_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56838800-1486076361_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-27850100-1486076422_thumb.jpg

The Tanks will be collected by a 33 for shipment to Fawley.

Hi Andy,

A nice selection of pics.

I really like the class 33 on the Fawley tanks. Fawley was run by Esso so you could maybe keep the signage on them and have he others unmarked.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-45162200-1486108568_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-16968900-1486108613_thumb.jpg

Morning all, Thanks for the comments and likes etc. Yesterday was really just a bit of playing to ensure there were no hidden glitches, two small problems came to light and will be sorted this morning then I'll get on with some Scenic's

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

I really like the class 33 on the Fawley tanks. Fawley was run by Esso so you could maybe keep the signage on them and have he others unmarked.

Cheers Peter.

Crikey Peter, the view from Campbell Road bridge! Haven't been there for a year or three...

Hi Andy,

Cheers Peter.

Morning Peter, The Traffic to and from Esso Fawley was fairly intensive when I was down there. I remember one day the Good Lady and I went for Lunch over at Hythe, and a grubby 37 come over the Road Bridge with a Rake of Tanks, it sounded awesome, the Wife wasn't impressed, hahaha

My problem is that I also have a liking for BP as my Dad worked for them on the Isle of Grain in Kent, and I just about remember seeing the Trains when he took me into work with him on a Saturday, (I would have been about 6 or 7 at the time). I also remember the Berry Wiggins Tankers from down there as well.

Is it appropriate to mix TEA's and TTA's in the same Rake?

Crikey Peter, the view from Campbell Road bridge! Haven't been there for a year or three...

Me too, George T of this Parish and I used to go there, Maritime and Eastleigh Station quite a bit, sometimes in the summer even a couple of nights a week back about 1988 to 2005.

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate, some great photos from your running sessions yesterday, really brings it to life.

The views you've shown us so far look good already, love the way the vans and tanks snake their way through the pointwork, but once you've done your scenic magic it's going to be brilliant.

Loving your progress,

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Peter, The Traffic to and from Esso Fawley was fairly intensive when I was down there. I remember one day the Good Lady and I went for Lunch over at Hythe, and a grubby 37 come over the Road Bridge with a Rake of Tanks, it sounded awesome, the Wife wasn't impressed, hahaha

My problem is that I also have a liking for BP as my Dad worked for them on the Isle of Grain in Kent, and I just about remember seeing the Trains when he took me into work with him on a Saturday, (I would have been about 6 or 7 at the time). I also remember the Berry Wiggins Tankers from down there as well.

Yes

Hi mate, some great photos from your running sessions yesterday, really brings it to life.

The views you've shown us so far look good already, love the way the vans and tanks snake their way through the pointwork, but once you've done your scenic magic it's going to be brilliant.

Loving your progress,

Al.

Thanks Al, I'm really looking forward to getting on with some Scenic's now, and getting the Trackwork weathered and the Docks Branch Ballasted soon. Once that's done the Foam shouldn't be so prominent either.

Yes

Thanks Clive, I thought they could, but all my pics from around Eastleigh and Exeter etc only have either TEA's or TTA's on their own.

EDIT =  To say that I've seen people mix them at Shows, but that's NO guarantee that it's correct.

Hey Andy, It's your layout if you want to keep the BP ones go for it. I think they look ok running together.

The TEAs 100t tankers were from memory more ofen in block trains of about 10 or so and I have seen TTA's in with TEAs on a block woking. Having a TEA on it's own with TTAs would probably be less common but I am sure it happen'd.

Glad you liked the pics I spent a bit of time on that bridge. Fawley was quite busy back in the day.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-99451900-1486113892_thumb.jpg

Whittaker St, (see link below) does anyone remember that attempt to build a Blue Period Layout? Well BV has turned out to be just what I wanted back then, and even better in many respects, so like anything in life, keep trying, and you get there in the end, haha.

Late, but better late than never.

The Fiddle Yard is now all but finished, (just needs one more Point for another Track at the front).

As you will see from the diagram below, I can work 16T Minerals in a prototypical manner to and from the Docks, and to and from Radstock Colliery.

I could have made removable Loads for the Coal Wagons, but I already have 18 with fixed Loads so that was a no no. So I will empty some and make two X 15 Wagon Trains.

attachicon.gifCoal Traffic Route.png

attachicon.gifFinal Fiddle Yard 001.JPG

attachicon.gifFinal Fiddle Yard 002.JPG

attachicon.gifFinal Fiddle Yard 003.JPG

Andy

As a 'lurker' I hope you don't mind me contributing to your options for your splendid Bristol Victoria model..

I see you've made reference to coal production in the Radstock area which is of particular interest to me. As background, I've done quite a bit of research into the railways around Radstock ahead of my retirement plan to build an EM gauge model of Radstock West [GWR]. I'm now into the scenic side which extends from Marcrofts wagon works to beyond the famous level crossing based around 1959. I lived in the area for a few years before I moved away for work but hope you don't mind me sharing a little of what I've learned which might be of interest to you although it may or may not fit with your current backstory for Bristol Victoria. If it doesn't fit feel free to ignore!!

By the mid '60's there were two pits still producing coal around Radstock. Writhlington pit was connected to the S & D at Radstock and when the S & D was closed a new connection to the GWR was installed specifically to allow the coal to be 'exported' from the area to Portishead Power station or for the smelter at Avonmouth. Kilmersdon pit was connected to the GWR line via a rope worked incline station and used to lower 16T minerals to the GWR connection. All told around 50 wagons of coal a day were produced in the '60's which was hauled away from the area mainly I believe by Hymeks.

A slip at Pensford in July 1968 saw the direct through route to Bristol closed and as the production of coal was still profitable, this then had to be moved out via Frome Bath and Portishead a rather circuitous route but allowed Class 47's and 52's [often Western Queen I believe] to be the main hauliers. I'm not sure when the changeover took place from 16T's to MGR HOP AB's but I do have a photo of a MGR wagon with a with a slogan painted on the side indicating last wagon of coal from Writhlington and dated 16th Nov 1973. So by the end of September 1973, coal mining had ceased in the Somerset coalfield. 

I can't find any reference to coal being exported from Bristol docks during the period of your model but perhaps if you applied 'Rule 1' you could include MGR's as well as the 16T's. I'd recommend Colin Magg's book 'The Bristol-Radstock-Frome Line' published by The Oakwood Press to anyone who might be interested in the lines history & workings.

Keep up the good work, as reading your message board is always an accompaniment to my breakfast which is a whole lot more enjoyable than the traditional press.

Doug

Whittaker St, (see link below) does anyone remember that attempt to build a Blue Period Layout? Well BV has turned out to be just what I wanted back then, and even better in many respects, so like anything in life, keep trying, and you get there in the end, haha.

We never doubted you :boast:

Are we jealous of your talent, you bet :onthequiet: 

Now, what can I find fault with next :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: 

Being very pedantic Andy, the service would probably terminate at Poole rather than Bournemouth. No real facilities to run-round a loco-hauled train at Bournemouth, whereas there

were such facilities at Poole.

Unless of course, in this parallel universe, the S&D is still open and the 50 is going via Bath Green Park to Bournemouth West  :sungum:

Andy

As a 'lurker' I hope you don't mind me contributing to your options for your splendid Bristol Victoria model..

I see you've made reference to coal production in the Radstock area which is of particular interest to me. As background, I've done quite a bit of research into the railways around Radstock ahead of my retirement plan to build an EM gauge model of Radstock West [GWR]. I'm now into the scenic side which extends from Marcrofts wagon works to beyond the famous level crossing based around 1959. I lived in the area for a few years before I moved away for work but hope you don't mind me sharing a little of what I've learned which might be of interest to you although it may or may not fit with your current backstory for Bristol Victoria. If it doesn't fit feel free to ignore!!

By the mid '60's there were two pits still producing coal around Radstock. Writhlington pit was connected to the S & D at Radstock and when the S & D was closed a new connection to the GWR was installed specifically to allow the coal to be 'exported' from the area to Portishead Power station or for the smelter at Avonmouth. Kilmersdon pit was connected to the GWR line via a rope worked incline station and used to lower 16T minerals to the GWR connection. All told around 50 wagons of coal a day were produced in the '60's which was hauled away from the area mainly I believe by Hymeks.

A slip at Pensford in July 1968 saw the direct through route to Bristol closed and as the production of coal was still profitable, this then had to be moved out via Frome Bath and Portishead a rather circuitous route but allowed Class 47's and 52's [often Western Queen I believe] to be the main hauliers. I'm not sure when the changeover took place from 16T's to MGR HOP AB's but I do have a photo of a MGR wagon with a with a slogan painted on the side indicating last wagon of coal from Writhlington and dated 16th Nov 1973. So by the end of September 1973, coal mining had ceased in the Somerset coalfield. 

I can't find any reference to coal being exported from Bristol docks during the period of your model but perhaps if you applied 'Rule 1' you could include MGR's as well as the 16T's. I'd recommend Colin Magg's book 'The Bristol-Radstock-Frome Line' published by The Oakwood Press to anyone who might be interested in the lines history & workings.

Keep up the good work, as reading your message board is always an accompaniment to my breakfast which is a whole lot more enjoyable than the traditional press.

Doug

Hi Doug, Thanks for a fascinating insight into Radstock and the area and some good information.

Research is something that I don't do, I picked Radstock as it was possibly the nearest Colliery and the Docks for convenience,  So yes I'm afraid it's Rule 1 on BV.

Thanks anyway for doing the research and taking the time to do the Post for us all.

Archived