TTS class 47

glasmonkey

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone

I'm very new to DCC. I have a TTS 47 and thought I put a better speaker in it, which I did and it sounded great until the two speaker wires touched each other - a burning smell then no sound, so I assume that's the end of that decoder and nothing can be done?! Thanks. Rob

Next year, many of the TTS modules will become available as a separate part: 40GBP (36GBP quoted by Hattons)

For future problem avoidance:  heat shrink sleeving is available from places like Maplins or Ebay in various sizes - suited to protecting joined wires etc against accidental contact.

Another smoke preventive measure suited to some of the newer Hornby Motor bogies is to apply some insulating tape or small piece of plasticard over the exposed terminals on the side of the motor bogie ... which are adjacent to the magnets... such that any loose magnetic item on the track is attracted, and immediately shorts the motor, thus destroying the decoder    (that was a different make of sound decoder in my case 8-( )

Guest 40-something

Hi everyone

I'm very new to DCC. I have a TTS 47 and thought I put a better speaker in it, which I did and it sounded great until the two speaker wires touched each other - a burning smell then no sound, so I assume that's the end of that decoder and nothing can be done?! Thanks. Rob

I wouldnt imagine the speaker wires would have caused the decoder to burnout?

• RMweb Premium

I wouldnt imagine the speaker wires would have caused the decoder to burnout?

It would certainly take out the amplifier circuits for the speaker. Although the decoder may still have motor control - as the OP says - no sound, but hasn't said if the loco has stopped.

(I've learnt the hard way in the past about keeping speaker wires away from each other and live rails......... - yet the motor circuits still worked)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It would certainly take out the amplifier circuits for the speaker. Although the decoder may still have motor control - as the OP says - no sound, but hasn't said if the loco has stopped.

(I've learnt the hard way in the past about keeping speaker wires away from each other and live rails......... - yet the motor circuits still worked)

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for your replies, yes the motor still works. It only happened because I was testing everything before I put it all back in the loco and sausage fingers!! Rob

Archived