Lakehurst industrial park NJ

I’ve wandered around Fort Hancock several times. It really commanded the entry into New York harbor. Great fishing too! First cast ever there produced a 4 foot “Bluefish” - which the locals call “Choppers”.....

I think I own all the same books on the  CNJ as you do, I pick up any I find, I’ll let you know if I find any new ones..... I live within walking distance of the former CNJ/Reading/ B&O mainline at Fanwood, NJ.

Thanks, Ray! Pete.

• 5 weeks later...

Things have gone quiet on the layout front, life and exhibitions getting in the way.

post-13979-0-64676700-1492097750_thumb.jpg

However, manage to pick a couple of Econami's up at Trainwest, and fitted one  in one of my CNJ RS3,would have done both if i'd remembered to get another speaker, Doh!!!! 

https://youtu.be/I74ypcLFzhY

Short video of the decoder, first impressions :locomotive: well they would it's an ALCO!! 

Also started adding detail, but, thanks to rip off GB customs/royal mail, they might not get much more, unless I can source them in the UK. 

Ray

• Like 3

Morning Ian, up with the larks today!!

I only tend to use buttons 1 and 2, but now we'll have to use button 4,i've re mapped it for the xing horn, in stead of dynamic brakes, Dave's no excuse now at exhibitions!! :nono:

first impressions are good, still to play with the CV's, but straight out of the box the slow running is way better than the old tsunami's, i've even had to turn the volume down  :O

Another speaker on it's way, can't wait to have a pair of Alco's burbling away :locomotive:or maybe three!! 

Ray

• 8 months later...

Well, Manasquan is no more, it's slowly being scraped, all piece that can be re-used will be used on my new loft empire, still modelled in the same area NJ, but a little further south near Lakehurst, having made a few decisions over the festive period about my 2 exhibition layouts,59th and Rust and End of the spur, both will be retired when all there date have been fulfilled which will be early 2019.

So I've brought forward my retirement layout "Lakehurst industrial park" this will be serviced by CSAO, time period 1999-2003,End of the spur will be part of the railroad( it was planned when I built it),I've started the layout in the loft as some of you my already know, I may start a thread on here not sure yet, will wait and see.

1586294189_post-13979-0-82516400-1482347127copy.jpg.5d2fcbda5373ea3fb652b31c357e2083.jpg

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 5

Well, Manasquan is no more, it's slowly being scraped, all piece that can be re-used will be used on my new loft empire, still modelled in the same area NJ, but a little further south near Lakehurst, having made a few decisions over the festive period about my 2 exhibition layouts,59th and Rust and End of the spur, both will be retired when all there date have been fulfilled which will be early 2019.attachicon.gifpost-13979-0-82516400-1482347127 copy.jpgSo I've brought forward my retirement layout "Lakehurst industrial park" this will be serviced by CSAO, time period 1999-2003,End of the spur will be part of the railroad( it was planned when I built it),I've started the layout in the loft as some of you my already know, I may start a thread on here not sure yet, will wait and see.Ray

Enjoy the building phase!

• 2 years later...

929006811_LAKEHURSTIP.jpg.a8789c5bfce4974520d576f7ac067a85.jpgWith the uncertainty around the exhibition circuit,i've decided to carry on with the build in the loft , track is laid and ballasted,all building are built,i've started on the scenery,more to follow....

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• long island jack changed the title to lAKEHURST INDUSTRAIL PARK NJ (was Manasquan NJ)
1 hour ago, long island jack said:

track is laid and ballasted,all building are built,i've started on the scenery,more to follow.

So you're nearly done, then..? :scratchhead:  :mosking:

Edited by F-UnitMad

I didn't know you were building a loft layout. Looks great.

Such a shame Railex NE was cancelled, I was looking forward to seeing you layout.

As you know , I've decided to return to the darkside and also returning to the CSAO. I started a layout last year but it didn't work out. I was looking at an industrial park at Totowa, NJ which looked interesting.

I'll be following with interest.

Like these 2 guys, sat safe.

csao 2.6.19 003.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Prof

I'm slowly drifting away from the CSAO idea, think the exchange will be with CSAO, but i've a couple of proto sw1200 sitting in a box and a gp7,thinking of using them,going to try a sound chip under the layout (EMD 567) like lance Mindheim did,not sure how it will work,don't want an over powering sound ,more a background one,i've got an econarmi,to give it a go.

• Like 1

I originally became interested in the CSAO because I was aware  he railroad was operated with CSX and NS power, and I happened to have CSX and NS geeps.  By co-incidence, my current inspiration comes from a New Jersey themed layout but not CSAO.

With regard to sound, although the sound in my geeps lacks bass compared to my UK models, I'm no longer too bothered. I'm quite happy with 1 loco with the sound quite low. Once you become immersed in switching, you almost forget about it.

I don't think I'll be buying too many more locos as sound fitted ones now cost a fortune importing from the US.

• Agree 1

This RSSX Railserve looks good. I reckon I can reduce the dimensions of the layout from 11ft x 18ins to my usual 9ft x 15ins.

I like the way the layout is switched with an 'on scene' staging/interchange track. This would be something different for me, a departure from my usual hidden or partially hidden staging. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alcanman said:

I like the way the layout is switched with an 'on scene' staging/interchange track. This would be something different for me, a departure from my usual hidden or partially hidden staging. 

There's a lot going for that idea, for a home layout. Why bother hiding a train when you set it up & know exactly what's coming? 

It's what I've done with my loft layout, which does have the advantage that standing inside the layout, you can only face one side of it at a time. ;)

• Like 2

A few photo's of the progress,been a little change to the plan, added a small unloading point for cement and made the engine shed into a team track, which i've move off stage behind the steel suppliers (see new track plan above) finished the last of the point control,just a extra din plug to add,by the exchange sidingsIMG_20200523_183027.jpg.62cf1bacdb6653c4ac8606b91286f0f8.jpgIMG_20200523_183019.jpg.1069149dcdb6210cbddb3ea4d529fd7c.jpgIMG_20200523_183007.jpg.6d804092a2321d89928edd241d6558b7.jpgIMG_20200523_182929.jpg.8f1b11d33b65e9697623c1c6d7967bff.jpgIMG_20200523_182915.jpg.7f5fc47ff0ce2833867c66725a4acb34.jpgIMG_20200523_182900.jpg.f23777c358a3a01f110a4427c63ca935.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2020 at 17:53, F-UnitMad said:

There's a lot going for that idea, for a home layout. Why bother hiding a train when you set it up & know exactly what's coming? 

It's what I've done with my loft layout, which does have the advantage that standing inside the layout, you can only face one side of it at a time. ;)

I have come to the same conclusion myself.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2020 at 17:53, F-UnitMad said:

that standing inside the layout, you can only face one side of it at a time. ;)

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I have come to the same conclusion myself.

Would have that was fairly obvious...

OK, I have my coat already...

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Regularity said:

Would have that was fairly obvious...

OK, I have my coat already...

I was referring to the home layout idea...I've got your coat here...(2m hanger obviously)