X9181 ?

bike2steam

Well another Hornby Stanier 2-6-4T has just split another gear on the 'X9181 gear-set'. Just rang up Peters Spares' for some replacements, but he's been out of stock for about 6 months, and having trouble getting replacement parts stock. What are Hornby up to, they seem to be getting it all wrong ???? 

• Informative/Useful 1

What are Hornby up to, they seem to be getting it all wrong ???? 

Obviously Hornby might be getting some things wrong - we know about these because the company management has reported on them - but one should be very cautious about making such a broad allegation on a public forum...

I do concur that Hornby service organisation and spares availability is one logistical area that would benefit from management attention, perhaps taking cognisance of Bachmann's recent UK announcement concerning their future intentions: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108794-Bachmann-2016-announcements/page-43&do=findComment&comment=2433597

Obviously Hornby might be getting some things wrong - we know about these because the company management has reported on them - but one should be very cautious about making such a broad allegation on a public forum...

I do concur that Hornby service organisation and spares availability is one logistical area that would benefit from management attention, perhaps taking cognisance of Bachmann's recent UK announcement concerning their future intentions: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108794-Bachmann-2016-announcements/page-43&do=findComment&comment=2433597

Yep, that's why I said 'seem', but thanks for agreeing with me . :sungum:

Yep, that's why I said 'seem', but thanks for agreeing with me . :sungum:

Not sure if it would help, but on the well known internet auction site, there's a chassis in bits, might be worth a look?

If you put 'stanier tank motorized chassis' into search, it will come up. 4 days left to bid. I am not selling it, just to clarify.

Regards

Lee

• RMweb Premium

I think are parts for most Hornby models are not as common as they used to be. The reasons got to be that they are using all their time securing whole locomotives or models. Suspect factories they use are less keen on supplying spares.

I had a Merchant Navy that had stripped a gear. Eventually I had to resort to sourcing a defective model and using 2 models to make one good one. Hornby just didn't have the spares and didn't know when or if the y would be available again

Edited by Legend

The other day I had a recent issue fowler 4p in bits next to a Stanier 4MT....

Looking at the two chassis' side by side ..I couldn't see the difference ?

As long as you mean the Fowler 4P 2-6-4T, not 4-4-0, then yes - it was basically a redesigned body on the same chassis, with minor detail differences.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine failed last week too. The first time it ever stalled, I gave t a gentle shove & the gear broke.

Is this a common failing? If so, is it possible to persuade someone to make brass replacements?

I searched ebay & bought one from a store called expressly-trains. Ordered on Dec 22nd & it arrived before Christmas. I was more than happy with that.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• RMweb Gold

Mine failed last week too. The first time it ever stalled, I gave t a gentle shove & the gear broke.

Is this a common failing? If so, is it possible to persuade someone to make brass replacements?

I searched ebay & bought one from a store called expressly-trains. Ordered on Dec 22nd & it arrived before Christmas. I was more than happy with that.

An all too common fault unfortunately.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to drag this thread up again but it just happen to me on a Stanier 4MT. I have looked on the internet and checked out all the spares suppliers that the Google search threw up. OUT OF STOCK....all of them.

I am awaiting Hornby's reply.

Anyone got an old X04 motored Flower that they no longer need, condition not a problem?

• 8 months later...

You can use the Hornby X6346 Gear set. Exact same gear set but for the Hornby A1 Class loco so is a different number. These are still in stock. 

I had a broken gear in my Stanier 4mt Tank and just fitted the X6346 gear set in with no issues. Perfect match. 

My theory is that, like any manufacture, they would want to reduce the amount of parts needed to make for each loco. If they have a gear set they know is tried and tested then there is no reason why they wouldn't use that set in as many locomotives as possible to keep their cost down. 

So far the theory stands true. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cooley_boy said:

You can use the Hornby X6346 Gear set. Exact same gear set but for the Hornby A1 Class loco so is a different number. These are still in stock. 

I had a broken gear in my Stanier 4mt Tank and just fitted the X6346 gear set in with no issues. Perfect match. 

My theory is that, like any manufacture, they would want to reduce the amount of parts needed to make for each loco. If they have a gear set they know is tried and tested then there is no reason why they wouldn't use that set in as many locomotives as possible to keep their cost down. 

So far the theory stands true. 

Thanks Rand,

When I contacted Hornby they said they wouldn't have any more unless they done another run of 2-6-4Ts. I will order one.

Gears on MN - same as WC/BoB? - seems identical to the 'recent' - as in not retooled but during last 15 years Coronations - that's how I replaced the gears on a MN I purchased recently, which failed.

Motor mounts are identical as well - as is motor.

Al.

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Yesterday, I found out that my 4P had cracked the gear that has the part number X9181. I remember reading it is the same as the one for the Q1. I have found a gear with the part number X9257, for the Q1. Did Hornby change the part number, and will it fit my 4P?

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2020 at 09:47, Phil Parker said:

Brass costs more than plastic and modellers are tightwads.

Not this particular example, but I've replaced around a dozen sets of the junk plastic ones we currently get saddled with in Bulleid Pacifics (x8849) and have accumulated a similar number of spares against future need.

I'll be first in the queue if anybody decides to produce replacements in metal.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've replaced around a dozen sets of the junk plastic ones we currently get saddled with, and have accumulated a similar number of spares against future need.

I'll be first in the queue if anybody decides to produce replacements in metal.

John

Though i guess plastic makes for quieter running too