Re-magnetisation

Had a 2 rail 0-6-2 come in for repairs - the neo magnet had split and expanded, pushed the pole pieces into the armature and baked the armature.

On the subject of magnetisers, if you want one get in quickly, I met Ron Dodd a few week back and he indicated that he may not be making them for much longer!

Andy.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I refer to my earlier posts about certain Hornby Dublo/Wrenn 1/2" motors losing some of their magnetism a few days after remagnetising. It states on the Hornby Dublo loco instruction sheets: "Do not tamper with any screws holding the motor together, as this may lead to mis-alignment and loss of power...". The instructions with the Ronald Dodd remagnetiser tell you to remove the magnet nut and bolt to remagnetise the motor.

This had me asking if this is the reason why some magnetism is being lost? I decided to drill an indent into each face of my remagnetiser's pole bars which then enabled the motor to be remagnetised with the nut and bolt in situ. After three days the motor appears to have not lost any magnetism after taking this action.

Edited by pacerfan

Any disturbance of the magnetic circuit will result in loss of magnetism. The Tri-ang Ten Year book was emphatic on this point. They stated that there is plenty left, but it is a pity to lose any of the power.

I don't think Dublo magnets are as forgiving. My 'Mallard' ran very well when first acquired, but stupidly I thought to try the magnet in one of her sluggish sisters. It made no difference to her sister, but on restoring her magnet, she was never quite the same. To paraphrase Tri-ang, OK, but... (This despite careful use of keepers and not breaking the magnetic circuit.)

I think Dublo had quality control issues with the magnets. Two of my oldest locomotives run the best - A horseshoe Atholl and a Southern 0-6-2T with an AlNiCo

Edited by Il Grifone

• 11 months later...

Does anyone still offer the remagnetizing service? I have a very reluctant Romford Bulldog that could do with attention to the magnet (runs OK otherwise if I use a magnet from an X04 motor on it, but they really don’t fit (haven’t tried the armature in the X04 though)

best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

• 9 months later...

I can 100% recommend stewarts service on remagetizing service, he did a load of silver seal motors for me which now run brilliant, and he gave a detailed report on each one, 

Also excellent communication from him, and I can honestly say he will be having some more motors from me soon :), 

• Thanks 1