Spot the spot

I think this is Binegar, indeed on the S & D, with the train approaching from the Bath direction. The houses on the left are those at Flowerstone and I believe at the bottom of the road is a pill box which is only partially visible and is still in existence today.  I will get you a picture of the location when I am next up that way, although it looks a bit different now.

• RMweb Gold

I think this is Binegar, indeed on the S & D, with the train approaching from the Bath direction. The houses on the left are those at Flowerstone and I believe at the bottom of the road is a pill box which is only partially visible and is still in existence today.  I will get you a picture of the location when I am next up that way, although it looks a bit different now.

Thanks for the identification Malc. I have looked on Google maps and the wall is still there. I don't think that the house at the end of the lane has any parts of the station in it, as 'The S&D then & now' book by Mac Hawkins says there was nothing left of the building in 1985. One can see the wall on G maps at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2410448,-2.5507518,3a,46y,284.46h,80.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8SI5uY8628qrNI9l_AsvMA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Thanks for the identification Malc. I have looked on Google maps and the wall is still there. I don't think that the house at the end of the lane has any parts of the station in it, as 'The S&D then & now' book by Mac Hawkins says there was nothing left of the building in 1985. One can see the wall on G maps at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2410448,-2.5507518,3a,46y,284.46h,80.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8SI5uY8628qrNI9l_AsvMA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The wall up Station approach to where the buildings now stand is still there, all be it with a gap in it for new house drives. All of the station buildings where demolished with indecent haste. The new house in the Google Maps view is called "The Beechings" and does not incorporate any of the old building. Station Cottages, one of which was occupied by the last Station Master, Norman Downs, still stand and the Transfer Shed for the Beer and Bitter is now two houses. Glad to be of help.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

its amazing how going looking for links brings up things you have never seen, like your dads shot looking north at Binegar, lovely.

Thanks B69 - I am only sorry that he is not around to see the interest and pleasure his photos are bringing.

Archived