GWR 101 Class 0-4-0T where can I get some drawings

MarcD

Only having found out the Hornby 00 GWR 101 tank that I had as a child was a real loco. I fancy building one in O gauge. I have done the usual web search an come up with 2 photos, some basic dimensions and a bit of history.

So my questions where can I get my hands on some Drawings and some photos?

Marc    

• RMweb Premium

Page 145 of volume 1 of a Pictorial Record of GWR engines has a photo and a drawing. Should be a start

As far as I remember this is a detailed drawing, not just a weight diagram sketch, so it should be accurate. The old Triang model matches it quite well.

• Like 1

Page 145 of volume 1 of a Pictorial Record of GWR engines has a photo and a drawing. Should be a start

So it does. I should have looked there before commenting!

As far as I remember this is a detailed drawing, not just a weight diagram sketch, so it should be accurate. The old Triang model matches it quite well.

It's quite detailed, and dimensioned, but a little more than 4mm scale. The Hornby body seems to be a good match, allowing for the difference. I'll have to match it to a correctly scaled copy of the drawing sometime. The photo is a good side view.

I think I'll put one of my bodies to one side for this. It should look good with a scratchbuilt EM chassis, but I'm not too sure about the valve gear. Fiddly stuff like that is a reason why I'm experimenting with O gauge! The moulded handrails need replacing, and a bit of painting done. I don't think bright orange, with the name Terry in big letters on the tanks, is quite right for a GWR branch line!

As it was built to operate the Blagdon branch, I think I'll assume the problems that confined it to Swindon works were resolved by the 1905 rebuild. Coupled to a few ancient four wheel coaches it could like quite nice arriving at Abbotsbridge.

Edited by BG John

I brought a couple of these sets a few years ago with the intention of reguaging the loco to run on the garden railway. Track gauge is something like 26.6mm and the body scales out to 1:48, which is fine for American O but not for British...

post-6819-0-86205000-1482405279_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-03210400-1482405301_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-52157000-1482405317_thumb.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 years later...
On 22/12/2016 at 22:19, 298 said:

I brought a couple of these sets a few years ago with the intention of reguaging the loco to run on the garden railway. Track gauge is something like 26.6mm and the body scales out to 1:48, which is fine for American O but not for British...

post-6819-0-86205000-1482405279_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-03210400-1482405301_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-52157000-1482405317_thumb.jpg

Really really sorry to revive such an old thread but do you have any more info on this loco? A manufacturer name or any idea on who made it? I’d love to get one myself if possible 

3 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

Really really sorry to revive such an old thread but do you have any more info on this loco? A manufacturer name or any idea on who made it? I’d love to get one myself if possible 

I'd have to drag it out of deep storage to have a look, but can't remember any manufacturers branding on it.

I'm sure there's a thread on RMweb about them as that's where I would have come to learn of them, it came via mail order from a South west based chain of tat emporiums (like Trago Mills, but not), possibly one word starting with a B....?

• Informative/Useful 1