Storable Layout in 00 Gauge

For years I have been collecting 00 gauge track, locos and rolling stock and over that time I've set it up on several different floors. Having finally bought my own flat with my partner however, I felt that it was time to make a more permanent setting for my railway. The problem with this however, was that there is limited space in the flat and nowhere really to have a good sized layout. This led me to start investigating the possibility of making a baseboard which could be set up in parts and stored away in a cupboard when not in use. I measured the available space in the second bedroom and decided that I could have a layout slightly larger than a standard Hornby 6' x 4' trackmat. With this in mind, I got to work designing a layout on Hornby Virtual Railway 2. The software is somewhat primitive, but effective all the same. I designed a layout with a double loop running around the edge and a goods yard/engine depot in the middle.

Layout%20Plans.png

The idea was to split the baseboard horizontally, consisting of two boards at 6'4" long and 2'1" wide which could be slotted together and fitted upon a frame which could be dismantled. My grandfather offered to take on the project of building the baseboard as he had plenty of room and tools to make it. The finished result was rather impressive!

WP_20160510_11_27_39_Pro_1.jpg

After a careful move to the flat, I started on the task of laying the track, the next photos show the progress so far.

WP_20160605_00_58_33_Pro_1.jpg

WP_20160605_00_58_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20160731_13_32_57_Pro_1.jpg

WP_20160731_13_33_10_Pro_1.jpg

WP_20160731_13_32_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20160731_13_33_04_Pro_1.jpg

WP_20160807_11_50_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160731_13_35_18_Pro.jpg

The layout has no specific setting or time period, essentially its a mix of trains that take my fancy! It wouldn't be unusual to see a 1930s locomotive running alongside an HST. All of the buildings are the Metcalfe card kits, which I very much enjoy putting together and I think they look excellent. I may add lights to some of the buildings eventually and I have bought the Ratio interior kit for the signal box. The board has cuts underneath each set of points so that a points motor can be added underneath, however so far the only electrics fitted is the power supply.

The layout is currently away over Christmas but hopefully it should be back out early in the new year.

• Like 8

With a fine felt tip pen, brick coloured, colour in the white card edges, on the folds etc.?

Julie

That's a good idea Julie, thanks! the white corners on the folds of the buildings is the one thing that bothers me about these kits.

And as much as I like pool tables, a railway is a far better use of the space in my opinion! :D

WP_20160826_17_52_39_Pro_1.jpg

Another quick photo of my most recent addition to the loco collection!

• 1 month later...

A good start, interesting to see two Flying Scotsmans in your collection, but hey it is your layout so why not. That new version is a cracking model. Good luck with the build, I look forward to seeing more progress in the new year.

Yes the railway does have a bit of an eclectic mix when it comes to locos and rolling stock, but with the Flying Scotsman the LNER model is an old second hand model I bought many years ago and the new version was just too lovely to pass up!

I'm hoping to set the railway up again in the next week or so to start work on it again, so that I can take stock and work out what I'll need to carry on further before Model Rail Scotland at the end of the month.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Have you made any further progress?

No progress of note so far, just a little more ballasting. I've been spending too much time and money buying new locos instead of concentrating on the layout! I did plan out the platform tonight though and am hoping to get the materials for it at some point this week, so hopefully there will be a bit more progress to show soon.