BRM February 2017

valleymodeller

• Administrators

I can't help thinking that there might be a supply shortage then. I was a little surprised that there was only one left at my local

superstore when I got mine last Thursday.

Regards, Cliff.

Can you let me know which store this was please?

Hello

Only  three copies left in my local newsagent this morning, Selling like hot cakes.

Cheers

George

• Administrators

Hi...

I'm disappointed that the 'new monthly column' from Simon George - 7mm mega-project Heaton Lodge Junction - as promised in last month's issue didn't materialise.

Randall

Apologies for this. The article is now in BRM March issue.

I'm a bit late into this discussion, I realise, but whatever the practical considerations from the publisher's perspective I do find the practice of 'free gifts' attached to magazines if bought in certain outlets but not others (UK only, of course) and a digital offer of £24 in the UK yet 43 euros for those in the eurozone a somewhat strange policy if customer loyalty counts for anything to that publisher.  Perhaps it doesn't….  

Hello

Perhaps they are just buying it to read about our layout. I like to think so anyway but then as in so many things I am probably wrong.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Perhaps they are just buying it to read about our layout. I like to think so anyway but then as in so many things I am probably wrong.

Cheers

George

That's why I bought this issue! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Picked up a copy in Tesco today, mainly for 'Fenchurch St Peter'. The bits box is really only for quite small bits, at least a quarter of the size of the translucent plastic one given away by BRM some 15-ish years ago. And BTW the catch is a fingernail-breaker with a moulded hinge fold; can't see it lasting too long. 'Every little may not always help'.

You mean this box? Still going strong storing all my 2mm SA wagon construction bits these days. Some free gifts are well worth having, others, well.......

post-12706-0-45846800-1484653695.jpg

post-12706-0-80599400-1484653712.jpg

Izzy

I still have one of those old "British Railway Modelling" boxes. :yes: These days it holds all the bits'n'bobs for my mini-drill, but back when I did HO scale, I kept all my American detail bits & kadees in it, out of sheer spite :sarcastic: :mosking:

It isn't big enough to hold American O Scale parts, of course :P

Ben is now working for the Railway Magazine.

I bought BRM this morning in Smiths and was a little disappointed. A good preview of RTR to come but not enough actual modelling. Describing layouts is fine but I would like to see more hands on and more of the prototype.

I suppose I want a Model Railway clone of the 1970s. Always much missed.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Ben is now working for the Railway Magazine.

I bought BRM this morning in Smiths and was a little disappointed. A good preview of RTR to come but not enough actual modelling. Describing layouts is fine but I would like to see more hands on and more of the prototype.

I suppose I want a Model Railway clone of the 1970s. Always much missed.

I think we can take this as another "vote" for BRM to morph into "British Practical Railway Modelling" - (without wishing to "tread on anyone's toes") I hope this is what we will get.

Somehow, I suspect that the first clue will come when we're informed out who the new editor will be - I hope it isn't too long before we find out.

Huw.

• Administrators

Hi...

I'm disappointed that the 'new monthly column' from Simon George - 7mm mega-project Heaton Lodge Junction - as promised in last month's issue didn't materialise.

Randall

Yesterday, while were out and about, Andy took me over for a visit to to see Simon. All I can say is WOW!

This is an amazing project. The work looks fatastic and once ready for exhibition, still quite a way away, this will be one of those layouts that will be worth making the effort to see. It's a blue diesel era winter landscape superbly modelled - not an easy thing to do by any means.

Andy weilded the camera for some still and we've also recorded some video hopefully for a future DVD. I couldn't resist a quick mobile phone shot too.

HAvan.jpg

My photo doesn't do the model justice but hopefully will act as a little taster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think we can take this as another "vote" for BRM to morph into "British Practical Railway Modelling" - (without wishing to "tread on anyone's toes") I hope this is what we will get.

Somehow, I suspect that the first clue will come when we're informed out who the new editor will be - I hope it isn't too long before we find out.

Huw.

You can have another vote from me. I have every issue right back to the first one and, if I am quite honest, it isn't the magazine it once was. If it was not for my history of having them all, I may well have stopped subscribing.

Roy

Is it still a secret?

I have been unable to find anything about a "new editor" apart from a Thread when Ben Jones took control in 2014.

And did Ben fall or was he pushed?

...R

I'll let you find the answer to that on page 7 of our March issue.

Actually (now that I have my copy) it does not answer the question. There is a picture of your good self but the title beside your name is "RMWEB EDITOR" - same as it was in the February issue.

Does that mean the the post is still vacant or that they are hoping you will do the job without a pay-rise :)

If you really are the new editor then you have my best wishes.

...R

• RMweb Gold

A new editor will be in post quite soon and it's very definitely not me! It was just my turn to keep the seat warm on that page for a month.

It's definitely not you because I heard the new editor isn't even a railway modeller.

Archived