BRM February 2017

valleymodeller

• RMweb Gold

No secrets; Ben's going to be working freelance and writing for several publications. I'm sure there will still be some articles in BRM from Ben when he gets chance!

My subs copy of Railway Mag landed on the mat today and inside (page 6) they announce that Ben has joined the RM editorial team as "our new senior corresondant"

Good luck to him in his new job. :good:

• Administrators

Hi all,

With the February 2017 issue going on-sale in shops around the UK on Thursday (January 5th) I thought I had better reveal what's inside.

The Digital Edition is on-sale NOW and we have a great subscription offer with 30% off - just £23.99 for the year

Or, subscribe to the paper magazine and enjoy this offer to get a FREE Hornby Locomotive!

We hope you enjoy this month's magazine.

Steve & the BRM Team

post-14186-0-60146800-1483434589.jpg

Layouts

Fenchurch St Peter - 1960s BR Eastern Region - OO

Freshwater - Isle of Wight 1925-35 - EM

Burshaw North Western - BR London Midland Region 1970s - N gauge

Practical

Refurbish a station (Stamford East)

Converting a cheap toy for use as a grounded coach

Making ground cover

Modernise a Bachmann Observation Saloon

Products

Warley 2016 Show Report

Review: Hornby LNER/BR 'B12/3' 4-6-0

Review: Minerva Kerr, Stuart 'Victory' 0-6-0T

Review: Hornby 'King' with TTS Sound

Review: Bachmann NBL 'Warship' Returns

Review: Piko Smartcontrol

Review: Heljan 35T Oil Tanks

Plus

The Makers: Railtec Transfers

Prototype Inspiration: Railtours (Part 2)

Layout Security Advice

Tail Lamp

BRM really needs to drop their forced currency regionalised pricing scam.

When Brits can buy the digital distro sub of BRM for promo £23.99, that's all I'm prepared to pay in my currency converted at the daily rate at time of purchase.

DL from the same source, unlike postage, digital distro costs worldwide are identical. Until then. NO SALE.

Hi all,

With the February 2017 issue going on-sale in shops around the UK on Thursday (January 5th) I thought I had better reveal what's inside.

The Digital Edition is on-sale NOW and we have a great subscription offer with 30% off - just £23.99 for the year

Or, subscribe to the paper magazine and enjoy this offer to get a FREE Hornby Locomotive!

We hope you enjoy this month's magazine.

Steve & the BRM Team

attachicon.gifFeb17.jpg

Layouts

Fenchurch St Peter - 1960s BR Eastern Region - OO

Freshwater - Isle of Wight 1925-35 - EM

Burshaw North Western - BR London Midland Region 1970s - N gauge

Practical

Refurbish a station (Stamford East)

Converting a cheap toy for use as a grounded coach

Making ground cover

Modernise a Bachmann Observation Saloon

Products

Warley 2016 Show Report

Review: Hornby LNER/BR 'B12/3' 4-6-0

Review: Minerva Kerr, Stuart 'Victory' 0-6-0T

Review: Hornby 'King' with TTS Sound

Review: Bachmann NBL 'Warship' Returns

Review: Piko Smartcontrol

Review: Heljan 35T Oil Tanks

Plus

The Makers: Railtec Transfers

Prototype Inspiration: Railtours (Part 2)

Layout Security Advice

Tail Lamp

Damn set up subscription yesterday no offer of free loco or anything

Steve don't suppose anything can be arranged possibly ?

Dave

I've had a Model Rail sub for a year or so, and have a few issues to run, but having checked it out, BRM seems to have a better take on practical subjects and "how to's", and a nicer layout. A good mix of material all round. The price for the digital sub was good too!   Dear old Railway Modeller I always like for the large number of inspirational layouts, big and small, it always has, so will probably continue to buy that in print in our local paper shop.

• RMweb Gold

With regards to Ben Jones I assume the lack of comment means it's not widely known where he is off to. Might not be a modelling title of course.

No secrets; Ben's going to be working freelance and writing for several publications. I'm sure there will still be some articles in BRM from Ben when he gets chance!

My subs copy of Railway Mag landed on the mat today and inside (page 6) they announce that Ben has joined the RM editorial team as "our new senior corresondant"

Good luck to him in his new job. :good:

I'd also like to wish him well for the future. All the best, too to his replacement - whoever this turns out to be.

It'll be interesting to see which direction they take BRM.

I wonder how long it'll be before someone posts on here, pretending to have "forgotten" / "missed" the announcement about exactly who the new editor will be.

As for me, I think I'll resist the temptation - and wait for the official announcement / column in a future issue, with a photo smiling out of the page.

After all, it's not as if we'll have to wait too long to find out.

Huw.

Me too. I much preferred the editorial approach and layout before it cloned to MR rev 1.1. Lost my sub when it expired after that occurred.

Wait and see will be my strategy too. Why?

Can sub ROW anytime on the regular sub link for 'a penny more' than the deceptive (52% off comparison with single edition buy, not 12 month sub) push promo exacerbated by an usurious +20% regional pricing scam 'surcharge'.

Edit: spelling

I'm not a regular BRM reader, but thought I would try this one, if only for the IoW Freshwater layout.
A nice layout.
Now the - then + on Freshwater. 
(-) I thought the white horse in the goods yard looked nicely done till you get down to it's fetlocks - or whatever the hair down there's called - they are too clean, unless of course it's fully groomed ready for a County Show or similar.

(+) Then I noticed it had blinkers, and I suddenly thought, "I've missed them off my cart horses".

Believe or not, that little detail has made the BRM worth buying this month, for me.....
I checked what models are available and 'the farthinglayouts' here

shows some 4mm cart horses (Dart Castings) with blinkers, so why haven't mine?

Another plus, by this roundabout route I've arrived at 'farthinglayouts' blogs,

so in a very indirect way, that's further value added to this months BRM.  

I collected my copy this morning, which is saved at my local newsagent.

Great issue.  Particularly enjoying Fenchurch St Peter.  Also an interesting article about layout security which is well worth thinking about.

But 20 minutes ago I got an email from World of Railways telling me about the Free Bits Box with BRM February "only available on copies stocked at WHSmiths and all UK Supermarkets".

Bit unfair that on those who still like to support their local independent newsagent.

I have had BRM saved for me for the past 5 years.

Unfortunately postage considerations precluded them being sent to smaller outlets rather than where it's handled by bulk distribution. Periodically offers can only be made through certain channels (such as the packs of two magazines).

Unfortunately postage considerations precluded them being sent to smaller outlets rather than where it's handled by bulk distribution. Periodically offers can only be made through certain channels (such as the packs of two magazines).

OK Andy, thanks for that explanation.

I don't consider your expressing a differing perspective of subjective taste in a mature manner in any way argumentative. I was aware that others' opinon might differ from my own, which is why I presented my own as only that. And it really was a question, if additionally stating the reason why I asked it motivating you to respond to deny my criticism 'air' and validity if possible. It was only a question, and my expressed hope.

Did you ever sub to MR? Or BRM before BJ jumped ship from MR to BRM?

Curiosity question really, as I quite liked BRM before that, detested MR. Had subs to all three at one time. Still sub to HM. Guess we'll see. If they drop the sub promo price some more, I might just be tempted to risk the potential disappointment of a momentary lapse of judgement which might end up relegated the digital dustbin unread...or not.

All budget triage really. A gamble vs certainty. The cost of a sub would buy me several Kindle Ed. non fiction titles on my want list instead. e.g. The final book of Bruce Gamble's Rabaul battles trilogy "Target Rabaul", "Japanese Naval Air Force Fighter Units and their Aces 1932-1945", Parshall and Tull's "Shattered Sword" plus several others. Weighing it up, all of those I would read.

They sound thrilling. I think I'll just renew my sub to " soap collector " and " cheese enthusiast "

• RMweb Gold

BRM really needs to drop their forced currency regionalised pricing scam.

When Brits can buy the digital distro sub of BRM for promo £23.99, that's all I'm prepared to pay in my currency converted at the daily rate at time of purchase.

DL from the same source, unlike postage, digital distro costs worldwide are identical. Until then. NO SALE.

With your constant whining I don't think anyone at Warners will loose too much sleep over your not taking out a sub :no: 

Jerry 

• RMweb Gold

Me too. I much preferred the editorial approach and layout before it cloned to MR rev 1.1. Lost my sub when it expired after that occurred.

Wait and see will be my strategy too.

I'm not convinced that BRM actually turned into a clone of ModelRail - or any other magazine, for that matter.

Certainly, unless there's a good reason to do otherwise, any editor is likely to do things in a way that resembles something that's gone before - this might be similar to their style at their previous magazine - it might be more like the way their predecessor ran things.

If they've been appointed, the chances are that some people will be reasonably happy with how they've done things - for them to have accepted an offer of employment, they're likely to think that they'd have a decent chance of making things work.

Everyone here is, of course, likely to have their own opinions on how things have worked so far (and how they might work with any future editor / editorial team) - but I'm cautiously optimistic.

As for the "wait and see", I'm not too worried. I've bought individual copies of BRM over many years - and been reasonably happy with what all the magazine's editors have put together over the years. Since Warners took an active interest in RMweb, I've bought every issue of BRM - from my local newsagent. I was basically happy with the magazine just before Ben took over as editor - the changes he's instigated, encouraged or facilitated have made the magazine even more to my liking.

Although I don't know who's going to replace Ben, I strongly suspect that things will get even better.

I can think of a number of people who, if they'd applied, would have been highly credible candidates for the BRM editor job. Without going into who these people are (and whether they actually did apply), I think it's reasonable to believe that the new editor would be intelligent enough to see what's been working (and build on it) - identify areas where further work might be beneficial - and "take care of" this stuff.

It's also reasonable to imagine them taking action to reinforce links between RMweb and BRM (and probably other magazines in the Warner's portfolio). If carefully "framed" and targeted, RMweb challenges offer an obvious way of achieving this, whilst encouraging new entrants to the hobby to actually have a go at building / modifying models.

As for future challenges, I've obviously got some challenges I'd like to see (or like to see re-run), with ideas for adaptations, to broaden their potential appeal and maintain momentum when challenge periods end. I'm sure other people here also have their own ideas - but I don't wish to cramp anybody's style. In other words, if the new editor wishes to invite comments / suggestions by PM (from me or anybody else), or if they wish to open things up and start RMweb threads, that's fine by me. If they don't, that's also fine.

Great issue.  Particularly enjoying Fenchurch St Peter.  Also an interesting article about layout security which is well worth thinking about.

But 20 minutes ago I got an email from World of Railways telling me about the Free Bits Box with BRM February "only available on copies stocked at WHSmiths and all UK Supermarkets".

Bit unfair that on those who still like to support their local independent newsagent.

I'm in a similar position, having seen a small red box attached to copies of BRM in a big "out of town" hypermarket. I've already got a very similar box - in the same shade of red - but with "ModelRail" embossed on it - I use it to hold bolts and other small parts of RTR locos I'm working on / modifying.

OK Andy, thanks for that explanation.

OK - it's slightly irritating to those of us who make a point of supporting our local independent newsagents (and model shops, where they still exist). However, this isn't enough to persuade me to cut these guys out of the loop - principles are principles, as far as I'm concerned.

Huw.

• Administrators

Good issue, and just finished the DVD. Great feature by Phil on figure painting, although his Thunderbird's knowledge was a little rusty (Scott not Virgil)!

I know. To my shame I realised this a day after the filming. I'd have been all right if it had been Parker...

Picked up a copy in Tesco today, mainly for 'Fenchurch St Peter'. The bits box is really only for quite small bits, at least a quarter of the size of the translucent plastic one given away by BRM some 15-ish years ago. And BTW the catch is a fingernail-breaker with a moulded hinge fold; can't see it lasting too long. 'Every little may not always help'.

Cannot find a copy of the Feb. edition anywhere and have been trying to locate one since last Friday?

None of the W H Smiths (2), larger superstores(3) or independant newsagents(6) I have tried have a copy. Never had this problem before, assume there will be more coming through to retailers.

• Administrators

Cannot find a copy of the Feb. edition anywhere and have been trying to locate one since last Friday?

None of the W H Smiths (2), larger superstores(3) or independant newsagents(6) I have tried have a copy. Never had this problem before, assume there will be more coming through to retailers.

Can you PM me where you're based?

Archived