Big Four locos together

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Following on from the question about SR locos at Bristol TM, was there a station or stretch of line where all four mainline pre-nationalisation railways' trains could be seen side by side, or sharing the same right of way?

Cheers N

• RMweb Gold

Would SR locos have worked to Woodford Halse on a regular basis?

Or even at all?  All you saw on the GC in normal working were Eastern Group and Western engines but LM types gradually infiltrated and arrived in numbers of course after the line was transferred to the LMR.  Southern engines probably only seen on things like football specials but then that could go for all sorts of places if you include occasional excursion workings instead of everyday booked workings.  Thus over the years although its regular fare was Western tank engines the Wycombe branch (Maidenhead to High Wycombe) saw the likes of a Brighton atlantic, B1s, 4Fs, and even a 'Jubilee'.

• RMweb Premium

There is a stretch of the old NER where such things are seen regularly. It runs from Pickering to Grosmont.

Going back to a more sensible response, the most likely place would be somewhere in or near London but I am not sure that there were any lines where all four ran regular services.

Wartime is a good excuse for mixing things up. My dad saw a Southern 4-6-0 at Annesley shed in (I think) 1941 at the same time as a loco from Aberdeen shed.

Going back to a more sensible response, the most likely place would be somewhere in or near London but I am not sure that there were any lines where all four ran regular services.

Feltham, for example, would have had freight to and from the other 3, so presumably the traction would have been a mix of SR and the locos associated with the origin/destination of the workings. A Feltham to Temple Mills train via thee NLL would cross the GWML, MML, WCML and ECML before arriving at the GEML.

• RMweb Gold

There is a stretch of the old NER where such things are seen regularly. It runs from Pickering to Grosmont.

Wartime is a good excuse for mixing things up. My dad saw a Southern 4-6-0 at Annesley shed in (I think) 1941 at the same time as a loco from Aberdeen shed.

Many of the cross London freight trips resulted in 'foreign' engines visiting various yards but we are talking mainly about tank engines.  The West London Line regularly saw Western, LM, and Southern engines but Eastern types were only occasional visitors AFAIK

Near Old Oak Common West Junction, but not all on the same level, ER locos, summer Saturday specials mostly B1's, on the lower line (North Acton to Kensington line), GW on the GW main-line ( strangely enough), and LMS with SR on the top (NLL) line on freight.  :sungum: .And Kensington Olympia. 

Neasden GC [14D] on Cup Final Day has been photographed on occasion as servicing large engines from all regions. Whether the actual station/terminus for dropping off passengers would have been Marylebone or Euston, I can't say.

Wembley stadium had it's own station at one time.

• RMweb Gold

Neasden GC [14D] on Cup Final Day has been photographed on occasion as servicing large engines from all regions. Whether the actual station/terminus for dropping off passengers would have been Marylebone or Euston, I can't say.

Even in everyday working Neasden could be quite an interesting shed in terms of what might turn up although Aylesbury could also be amusing.  I did Aylesbury one Sunday and there were three engines on shed, one of LNER  design, one of LMS design, and one of GWR design.

In 1961 on a days train spotting at Oxford I saw southern Pacifics( Calstock, Swanage) southern Lord Nelson, eastern Region B1 (Bongo) and eastern K3, ex LMS G2 0-8-0 as well as loads of GW locos, Castles, Halls, Granges as well as various tank engines. The Eastern region locos came in on services from Cambridge, the Southern locos worked in on inter regional trains. I have also seen photos of ex LMS Jubilees and Re built Scots (when allocated to Saltley shed) working in on freight trains from the Midlands.

David

Archived