transformer - advice & selection suggestion request

s.e. charles

i have (2) Bachmann Gas Mechanical Diesel locomotives. one doesn't run at all, and the second one only runs forward, albeit very well and at extremely scale/ low speed. i am sending them both in for repair.

in the interim, i am assessing my current transformer: MRC #260 with momentum, reverse, and braking/ pulse.

the engines and transformer are probably 8 to 10 years old. i bought them when i had money and was working, and i've now retired and am getting together a much awaited layout. so the transformer & engines have been sitting in a box.

since the engines are basic (no DCC or gadgets), is there a better transformer i could use? in the future i might like to have sound - but at the expense of paying someone to do the transition.  i don't mind investing, but don't want to get more than i need in the way of features. i doubt electronics will ever become my hobby, so just enough to get by; any help greatly appreciated. thanks.

The standard advice for someone starting out is to go DCC from the outset and with only two locos you can be considered a starter. Converting later on once you have acquired extensive stock can be like climbing a mountain. Other factors to consider is the size of layout/s you anticipate having. Going DCC on a small shunting layout with no more than one loco on track may feel overkill, not that DCC is inappropriate on small layouts.

If you suspect your controller is faulty and the cause of your running issues then I think before you spend money repairing your existing controller wether that would be better spent mending it with a new DCC unit and embracing the change now. Going DCC does not mean you have to get into electronics. Wiring up a layout for DCC operation is as much an electrical task task as DC, decoders and DCC controllers are simply "black box" units that communicate with each other through the rails. How they work should not be an issue as long as the communication path namely the wiring is reliable.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

From what you say, it doesn't seem as though there is anything actually wrong with your present controller - you just want to know if there is anything better.  I'd suggest that you wait until your locos are returned repaired and then try them out with your present controller. If they work well, you may then feel that you need do no more at present.  If, on the other hand, you decide to upgrade your control system, there are plenty of better analogue controllers available - you could try Gaugemaster or Morley Controls.  Or there is DCC, and as you have posted your query in a DCC forum, I assume that you are considering that.  There are several threads on appropriate DCC systems for beginners, and numerous recommendations.  When I started I got an NCE Powercab system and have been very happy with it, but there are other good systems available and the usual advice is to see if you can try them out, or at least get a feel of them, for yourself, possibly by joining a club, or going along to your local dealer (few and far between, unfortunately), or going to a few model railway shows and seeing what people there are using - on request thay may let you have a shot so that you can decide if you are comfortable with a particular controller.

DT

I completely agree with the above.

Exhibitions are a good way to get to see & feel different systems.

If you want to try a type of control system, go later on during the day/weekend & ask some layout owners if they will let you try operating for a while. Many will welcome the chance to have a guest operator.

• 2 weeks later...

whether a good path or not, i purchased another loco (athearn roundhouse emd 40 - ho scale). my intention is to use the power truck and change the superstructure to something freelance in the future. the new unit exhibited the same running characteristics as the original Bachmann units. i sent the 2 Bachmann units back to the repair center and they are under repair with the lifetime warranty (still awaiting their return).

i also tossed the controller in the bin and purchased a new MRC #760 ampac transformer. this is a low end/ minimum feature unit and will probably be dedicated to the run-in trackboard. haven't connected it yet, but am hoping for predicted results.

mrc0001276.jpgRND89555.jpg

the new Athearn-Roundhouse EMD 40 runs fine with the new controller, so maybe both old controller & engines shared multiple problems. over the past few days i've logged about 3 hours of running at variable sometimes even crawling speeds with 2 hoppers in tow and the engine runs fine in both directions. just waiting now for Bachmann to get the diesels repaired & shipped back. the confirmation email arrived about 6 working days from the time i shipped them to B, and i've heard turn around time to be about 6 weeks.

of course by then bicycle season will be emerging, so it might be a bit before i perform sea "track-trials".

Archived