repainting hornby 35.5t fuel tanks

Good stuff Carl.

Surprising what a little bit of paint and powder does.

If you don't mind me suggesting, I'd do two things ;

First, i'd add a blob of milliput or similar to the axlebox ends, then when cured, file them flat so they look like axleboxes, then I'd tone the rusty colour down a little subtley. It might be the images which show the rust to be bright, but I'd be looking at a darker leathery colour for underframe grime.

I use Revell Lederbraun washes for my underframes.

Great stuff though Carl. You've turned plastic toys into models

These are great, it does showcase how much mileage there is in Railroad level products with a bit of care, thought, and effort. Good stuff.

To reiterate what others have said, the areas that attract accumulations of track dirt will tend to take on the colour of track dirt. Without wishing to get too indelicate about what the constituent substances of this are, the majority is train deposits, so brake dust, oil and other fluids, and solids expelled from under trains. Ahem. So yes, a leathery, farmyard colour is what you'd be looking at (and smelling). This is why a decent pair of protective gloves is always advisable if you're dealing with the real thing.

I have darkened them down and added more weathering.

I have done them from photos of real TTa’s.

let me know what you think?

Carl

Certainly an improvement on the standard Hornby tanks! You virtually never see a rake of clean tanks in realty so the same should go for the model!

Regards,

Jack

Archived