Glover's Irish Railways Workbench

Glover

On 26/09/2018 at 08:23, John M said:

Funnily enough the Irish van 16586 was most likely built as an insulated van for perishable traffic similar to the Hornby Dublo model, several of these remained in traffic into the mid-1970s possibly to the end of loose coupled goods operation.

This probably explains why they remained in service longer than GNR & CIE vans of similar construction like https://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/6934138160/in/album-72157629831107647/

I see that photo is listed as 1971. This must have been one of the last such in service - virtually all old wooden ones by that stage were not only withdrawn, but scrapped. In the whole 1970-75 period, I'd say I saw no more than one or two.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

It’s been so long since I updated these notes that I could not initially find the thread.

Anyway, here we are now.

I did update the Irish Railway Modellers forum yesterday and update that community. There is of course overlap between the two fora but I thought it best to bring my news over here.

Headlines are that I ran into health problems around June/July last year which resulted in a diagnosis of throat cancer.

I underwent chemo and radiation threatment and by early 2020 was declared clean. However, you never get 100% clearance and hence it’s no real surprise that the cancer has now returned and that no more can be done, except provide palliative care.

Having been a smoker for fifty years, I can hardly cry foul and must accept that I will pass on at the relatively young age of 68.

Can I just say a few words of thanks for all of the kind comments and support which this little community has offered to this ‘lone-wolf’ modeller. 
I’ll do a separate note on the last project but for now Pettigo signal box is closing.

Sincerest thanks to you all.

Glover 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

As many of you will know, Leslie McAlister of Provincial Wagons lives in a house called Pettigo Fair. It would only seem right then that my model of Pettigo station on the Bundoran branch would include a cattle special. Remember that I stretched history and have assumed that the line stayed open through the summer of 1963 and hence Leslies CIE cattle vans can feature.

I managed to get to the exhibition in Blackrock last October and bought five of the vans. These plus three GNR vans and two modified Mainline LMS vans complete the train.

Others have done a better job of assembling the kits but they gave me great pleasure. One improvement I made was to tighten up somewhat on the gap between wagons. I’m lucky enough to have curves of around twenty six inches plus.

A couple of snaps.

Glover

12A0A07C-6E46-4EFD-863D-B5DE26E29E19.jpeg

142D518E-9157-4FBD-BF49-396602AA30F4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I was wondering why you had disappeared of the scene and am saddened to hear your news, I’ll send on a PM.  Delightful result on the Cattle Wagons.

It would great if you could post a review of all your models as a fitting tribute to your excellent contribution to Modelling Irish Railways.

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 09:43, Glover said:

Headlines are that I ran into health problems around June/July last year which resulted in a diagnosis of throat cancer.

I underwent chemo and radiation threatment and by early 2020 was declared clean. However, you never get 100% clearance and hence it’s no real surprise that the cancer has now returned and that no more can be done, except provide palliative care.

Having been a smoker for fifty years, I can hardly cry foul and must accept that I will pass on at the relatively young age of 68.

Can I just say a few words of thanks for all of the kind comments and support which this little community has offered to this ‘lone-wolf’ modeller. 
I’ll do a separate note on the last project but for now Pettigo signal box is closing.

Sincerest thanks to you all.

Glover 

I am very sorry to hear this. 

Thank you for all your posts and interesting contributions.

• Like 3

I also just spotted this post.

Tragic news and I shall miss your posts.

For me your modelling created a picture of Ireland which your trains brought to life  and sometimes made me think "that's a good idea I can do that"

I know not what I believe but thank you and God bless you.

Mick

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just read on another Website Leslie McAllister posted this update, “It is with great regret that I have to pass on the news of our friend Glover passing “to his reward”. Behind the pseudonym was a quiet, much-loved family man – Aidan Dunne.”

He died back in August,  a man with his own style of modelling Irish stock, RIP

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for posting this, Kieran - my fault, I'd forgotten that Aidan had a Thread running here too!

To give you the full post -

It is with great regret that I have to pass on the news of our friend Glover passing “to his reward”. Behind the pseudonym was a quiet, much-loved family man – Aidan Dunne.

Aidan.jpg.d00dcd2dd76dadf22e7bf92f86553f21.jpg

I received a letter from his wife Barbara yesterday, telling me that he had passed away in early August. I had been in touch with her, after Aidan expressed a desire to see his work retained in some way. I made some progress with that back on August.

I last met Aidan exactly a year ago, at Blackrock, when he bought the CIE Cattle kits which you can see, superbly built and finished, in an earlier post on the Glover’s Workbench thread.

Take a look at that thread and the Pettigo Co Donegal thread to see some very fine scratch-building – what we modellers of an earlier era have to do. He showed great ingenuity and skill to produce just the coaches and other rolling stock which he wanted.

Please join me in passing on condolences to Aidan’s wife Barbara, daughter Paula and the rest of the family circle. May he Rest In Peace.

Leslie

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1