Bill Blackburn's Long Melford

justin1985

Shortly before Christmas members of the 2mm Virtual Area Group received the very sad news that Bill Blackburn had passed away. Bill was a leading member of the 2mm Scale Association for a very long time, and a longstanding Products Officer. As well as the etched track system that carried his name, Bill was responsible for a very wide range of products sold by the association, which I gather included the current range of wheels, as well as the core of the modern range of etched wagon chassis (like 3-330). 

I only had the pleasure of meeting Bill a dozen or so times, I guess, but as everyone has said he was unfailingly inspirational and encouraging. A true gentleman and someone with the talent to inspire and the skill to get things done. The quality of his modelling is second to none - it was a delight to have a box of his wagons operating on Copenhagen Fields at Warley this year.

I was lucky to spend an afternoon with Bill and David E in Bill's shed in Essex, working on our various different projects, and looking at the progress on Long Melford in April 2015. I grew up in Long Melford myself, so I know just how well he captured the feel of the meadows towards Liston (in fact a walk I do with my family every Christmas ...). I've attached some photos that I took on that day - both of the stunning modelling (including David's painted backscene) and the ingenious and wonderfully engineered train table. 

post-3740-0-70751900-1482776563_thumb.jpg

post-3740-0-16547300-1482776584_thumb.jpg

post-3740-0-84867300-1482776604_thumb.jpg

post-3740-0-40607800-1482776618_thumb.jpg

post-3740-0-62873100-1482778596_thumb.jpg

post-3740-0-54299800-1482778609_thumb.jpg

I was so very sorry to hear this sad news. I liked to class Bill as a very good friend albeit not a close one in light of the geographical distance between us. I have fond memories of our chats at committee meetings, expos and agms as well as the odd occasions that we might bump into each other at public shows.

He always had a kind word for my layouts and models, yet always encouraging with friendly hints and ideas for improvement. Meanwhile I could only marvel at the quality of his work and his tireless efforts for the Association and 2FS generally. He was such a very gentle man, he could be enthusiastic and he could hold and exclaim strong views, but he would always do so in a most polite and considerate way.

I will miss my occasional meetings with Bill. A most dear gentleman and a great loss to us all.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just been reading the worthy and very well deserved tributes to Bill in the latest 2mmSA newsletter which has arrived today. Sadly I only had the pleasure of meeting Bill in person the once, at his home in connection with rolling stock wheel production, and viewing both his workshop and layout.

He was I feel, one of the nicest people anyone could wish to meet, and in this respect I consider myself to have been most fortunate.

Izzy

Archived