Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Hello Rmweb. 

I'm sure many of you have heard of Lego Trains, it may be why you started modelling even. Lego has a timeless appeal and I thought I'd share this project with you. 

Lego Ideas is a site where you can upload Lego sets you've created in the hope it can reach 10,000 supporters. If it reaches 10,000 Lego might consider producing the set and you receiving credit and 1% of the royalties. 

I decided to create a model for consideration. It is called the "Freight Loco" is made to look like a generic diesel-electric locomotive. 

You can see the locomotive here https://ideas.lego.com/projects/162455

Although I say the model is generic I've actually base it on the infamous Class 58, I considered calling the project "Standard Export Locomotive" much like the Class 58 for example. It has the wider cabs and thinner body as well. In an update I have plans to show one cab being removed like the 58 if it was exported. 

Because it is Lego I've added a few features which wouldn't be part of real model, such as a mailbox and tool store but it just adds some play-ability.

If you feel like it would be a good idea click on the link and have a look at all the images and description! 

Thank you 

Michael, 

• Like 4

Michael,

good luck with your LEGO Ideas project. 

Have you incorporated an option for the 'power functions train motor / 8802 (element 4584375)'?

(This has a longer bogie wheel base than you appear to have.)

It also has a 'suspension piece' (element 4493326) to match and make it look better.

With your model I think people would want to be able to motorize it and would be nice for the bogie arrangement to accommodate that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lego layouts at exhibitions can play an important role in getting youngsters interested in our hobby. The same applies to Playmobile.

I was at one show where there was a big playmobile layout which always had the largest crowd watching it. The public voted it as the best layout there.

• Like 3

I have a blog here on RMweb about my Lego railway which is all I seem to be doing modelling wise at the moment. I want to build a freight yard at some point. 

I like the freight loco you've done, furstgreatwestern. There are some kickass locos out there on the web. If you are on Facebook look up the Lego train fans group. Some of the stuff people do is amazing. AFOL means Adult Fan Of Lego and AFOLs of Facebook is another group worth joining if you want to see some stunning creations. (You'll also see a lot of people showing off the new sets they have bought and built, but that's by the by.)

If you are an AFOL you'll come across the term 'MOC' which means 'My Own Creation'. My MOCs include a double-stack car transporter with loading ramp and some freelance mineral wagons that may yet be rebuilt. Would love some feedback on my blog if you're interested.

Regarding powering the trains, the Power Functions motors require a battery box. This can be hidden in an attached car or tender, a bit like how match trucks have been used for motors by non-Lego modellers for years  :) The Christmas train comes with instructions to motorise it with Power Functions, and the suggestion is to put it in the tender. I didn't motorise mine because I didn't have space in my Lego Christmas village for a complete loop of track. Maybe next year!

The 9V system was pretty good but has been discontinued for at least a decade. I have a 9V train with a loop of track. Getting hold of the 9V track is problematic now because train collectors are hoarding it. I've resigned myself to the limitations of Power Functions unless I win the lottery and can get my hands on the 9V motors. Power Functions is remote control though, whereas the 9V operated like a DC system so you could only have one train in motion at a time. Theoretically you can have two trains moving on the same bit of track if you are using Power Functions.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Very nice, I just acquired a full motor set with remote to power my Christmas train so now got to build a wagon around it!

There's a Lego trains group on Facebook and loads of people have powered the Christmas train by putting the battery box in the tender.