• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve.

I've just been looking at a few layout threads on the Forum, which is something I don't usually do. One of the things I wish could be scrapped on here is the Likes system.

Typified by your last post with pictures of your excellently developing viaduct. A LOT of quality work. ONE like. Quite ridiculous when some of those threads are dishing out dozens for, relatively speaking, crap.

I know it doesn't REALLY matter, but the Like system is supposed to be encouraging for good work, and it just doesn't work at all.

Anyway, choose to ignore these comments, except this one: excellent work, keep it going!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Steve.

I've just been looking at a few layout threads on the Forum, which is something I don't usually do. One of the things I wish could be scrapped on here is the Likes system.

Typified by your last post with pictures of your excellently developing viaduct. A LOT of quality work. ONE like. Quite ridiculous when some of those threads are dishing out dozens for, relatively speaking, crap.

I know it doesn't REALLY matter, but the Like system is supposed to be encouraging for good work, and it just doesn't work at all.

Anyway, choose to ignore these comments, except this one: excellent work, keep it going!

Jeff

Thank you Jeff @Physicsman for your encouragement and appreciation.

I think we both agree that the motivation for building anything comes from within; we do it to satisfy ourselves.  If I was only doing it for the Likes I would have stopped a long time ago!!!  :-)

I am still adjusting to memorialising my work on RMWeb, but in some respects I am also doing that for myself as well as sharing with others.  If I receive favourable comments, advice, likes or any other reaction - that is a bonus and very much appreciated.  Even criticism is a gift.

Over the years I have been inspired by and learnt a lot from you, @peach james, Mike @67A, @gordon s, @allan downes and many others too numerous to mention.  

Bottom line for me is that it is great to be part of a diverse community of people with a shared interest in a (sometimes) maligned hobby.  Likes or no likes, I will keep going and updates will follow.

Steve

Edited by sjp23480
added text

• RMweb Premium

Agree entirely with your philosophy, and I certainly do whatever I do irrespective of the emoji that may or may not appear on my thread.

Unfortunately there are people whose motivation for posting is not the same as ours and I find the whole Like "culture" distasteful in its unfairness. If used the way it was meant to, it would be fine. Sounds like the general gripe aimed at all forms of social media!

I've referred anyone looking on Gill Head to have a look at your thread. I may have been wrong, but is your viaduct based on Moorcock?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Agree entirely with your philosophy, and I certainly do whatever I do irrespective of the emoji that may or may not appear on my thread.

Unfortunately there are people whose motivation for posting is not the same as ours and I find the whole Like "culture" distasteful in its unfairness. If used the way it was meant to, it would be fine. Sounds like the general gripe aimed at all forms of social media!

I've referred anyone looking on Gill Head to have a look at your thread. I may have been wrong, but is your viaduct based on Moorcock?

Jeff

Jeff,

Spot on - Moorcock/Dandry Mire

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have reached my first major milestone: all the track is laid!  I have run some stock through most of the track by hand, but it does need to be tested properly.  

Next up, point motors, wiring and control panels!

South end of the storage lines 

IMG_20210901_212617157.jpg

North end of the storage lines, with just a glimpse of Dandry Mire top right

IMG_20210901_212632761.jpg

South end of Garsdale station.  The crossover will have the Coal Road running underneath, cattle dock will be on the left.  Baeseler slip courtesy of Roco!

IMG_20210901_212754197.jpg

This will be Garsdale station, looking north - complete with finger!

IMG_20210901_212817287.jpg

The cross over from the station to the turntable and the Hawes branch snaking away to the right of the exchange sidings

IMG_20210901_212829863.jpg

Turntable well, awaiting the London Road 50ft kit still in pieces in its box, exchange sidings and the start of Dandry Mire viaduct

IMG_20210901_212850754.jpg

Dandry Mire viaduct is almost 2m long with 12 arches, although still around 25% smaller than it should be (2.7m)

IMG_20210901_212907875.jpg

Looking south back from the turntable to the crossover and station beyond 

IMG_20210901_220617801.jpg

Edited by sjp23480
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was never (and still isn't) a buffer stop on the trap from the exchange sidings next to the Hawes branch - no idea why, it does look a bit odd.

WP_20180519_17_09_39_Pro.jpg.ac497f61b85e893d4ee7d942dabc60b6.jpg

This is what it looks like on our (truncated - no viaduct) EM model of Garsdale.

WP_20160626_10_05_39_Pro.jpg.ec1c0a8fdf15506d76c0eb686c49abd7.jpg

The London Road kit is a very good match for the turntable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking at the surface mounted points.  If you have the room it saves a lot of 'under board working' so  you have put in mind that when I get started again (just moved and took Rothleigh apart and lots of 'house work' needed before then) will plan for surface mounts so thanks for planting the idea.

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2021 at 07:54, PeterBB said:

Looking at the surface mounted points.  If you have the room it saves a lot of 'under board working' so  you have put in mind that when I get started again (just moved and took Rothleigh apart and lots of 'house work' needed before then) will plan for surface mounts so thanks for planting the idea.

@PeterBB

My thoughts exactly, I would have used more of the new slimline motors but I had a lot of the old fashioned solenoid motors that I needed to reuse. If there was no room on the surface I cut the baseboard so they could be clipped directly to the underside of the point. 

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...