Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Other than drive, are there many differences between the railroad and newer Schools? I've been looking at photos of newer ones against my tender drive one and can't see much difference... at least on the exterior. 

If you mean between main range and railroad here's a few of the differences - pick-ups on all wheels, traction tyres on the front drivers, much finer level detail, different tender variations (toolboxes, wheels, steps)

• RMweb Gold

Great to see the 8F is in the catalogue - a long overdue essential locomotive for LMS/LMR modellers.  The screenshots of the new release with the Fowler tender appear to show what might be gear wheels underneath but I assume Hornby have mocked this up using an old tender model.  The accompanying description helpfully states that it has a 5-pole skew wound motor, locomotive drive.

Peterfgf

Old wine in a new bottle.....first introduced over a decade ago.If it actually is with a Fowler tender then that is new.TBH could have done with what Hornby have done with the brand new Duchess....a completely new model.But there,you can't have everything.

• RMweb Gold

I see, I shall most likely make do with my early model zone? Wartime black one , I'm not overly in to locos with smoke deflectors, duno why, just don't like them that much.

With you on that one, they make climbing up on the running board more difficult. But that is in 12" to the foot.

Roy

30935 definitely did carry a early crest in Brunswick Green

Found a picture in "locomotives of the Southern Railway" pub Jarrold, which has a colour picture of 30907 Dulwich at  Nine Elms in lined green with the early BR emblem. Unfortunately pic undated, but definitely early emblem in green.

Yes, and mine does, but I'd rather reserve my £100+ purchases for locos I'm more interested in rather than being for the sake of it even if they are region and era appropriate :)

Edit: sorry, using my phone and forgetting about the replying with quote function

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Gold

Aren't there only 5 major liveries for the Castle and Grange (I think Kings were the only ex-GWR locos given BR blue)? Unless you count the fictional red Harry Potter train set version for the Castle (which may have been the previous tooling?)

True, I suppose I should have made it clearer that I was talking about the King with the completing all 6 King liveries

For Castle it stands at Great crest Western (2 tender options), 1948 G W R (given Wellington did not get the tender to 1948), BR Early and BR Late, So no Shirt button (unless the 2017 list is missing the previously announced Shirtbutton castle) and no true post war GWR release.

For the Grange it is Shirt Button (only one tender type), BR early and BR late. So no Post War GWR, and no tender variations (other than BR)

While for the Star, it has had Great Western (2), BR early and BR late.  (so no shirt button and no post war GWR (unless the 2016 announcement which is missing from todays list still appears) 

A bit strange, as for minimal extra effort surely changing the tenders / using different GW logos would make more sense

Up to now, the only Fowler tender Hornby offers is the old tender drive version with the mechanism removed. The picture of the 2017 8F doesn't suggest that a new tooled Fowler tender is being offered. But the price for an 8F with the newer Stanier tender is the same as one with the old Fowler tender.

@railroadbill

I've spotted:

R4794 and R4795 the ex LSWR 48' coaches in SR green. Whoo hoo!

Grange with smaller tender

8Fs, one with Fowler tender (as there were 663 8Fs running in mid 1950s, that definitely plugs a gap)

Edited by rodger5591

• RMweb Gold

Found a picture in "locomotives of the Southern Railway" pub Jarrold, which has a colour picture of 30907 Dulwich at  Nine Elms in lined green with the early BR emblem. Unfortunately pic undated, but definitely early emblem in green.

30907 is one I've renamed, so I'm pretty sure it got the Early Crest (Small) during it's repaint to BR Green :)

• RMweb Gold

Up to now, the only Fowler tender Hornby offers is the old tender drive version with the mechanism removed. The picture of the 2017 8F doesn't suggest that a new tooled Fowler tender is being offered. But the price for an 8F with the newer Stanier tender is the same as one with the old Fowler tender.

@railroadbill

I've spotted:

R4794 and R4795 the ex LSWR 48' coaches in SR green. Whoo hoo!

Grange with smaller tender

8Fs, one with Fowler tender (as there were 663 8Fs running in mid 1950s, that definitely plugs a gap)

There are actually two Grange's with the smaller Churchward Tender R3452 BR (Late) 6825 & R3552 GWR (Shirtbutton) 6860 - R3452 is carry over from last years range.

Out of interest how many 8F's ran with the Fowler tender?

I'm really surprised there's no "End of Southern Region steam" item - I would have thought a heavily weathered de-named Bulleid pacific would have been popular for nostalgic reasons.

Also a bit surprised that there's not a single new Skaledale railway-related building.

Pleased about the 8F, and the maroon Collett coaches and the extra coke hoppers.

Looks like they've given up on their main range Class 31, which is a shame, as there are still many liveries that they haven't done.

Out of interest how many 8F's ran with the Fowler tender?

Not many. They received them from Jubilees which had originally received them from the Royal Scots and the Patriots which had been rebuilt.

Not having any books to hand about fifty or so. Although they did change around a lot.

There was also the Stanier 3500 gallon tenders, which look like a cut down 4000 gallon.

Jason

Not many. They received them from Jubilees which had originally received them from the Royal Scots and the Patriots which had been rebuilt.

Not having any books to hand about fifty or so. Although they did change around a lot.

There was also the Stanier 3500 gallon tenders, which look like a cut down 4000 gallon.

Jason

Between 1958 and 1960, 42 Fowler tenders were transferred from Jubilees to 8Fs and 4 from unrebuilt Patriots. The transfers were a mix of rivetted /flush welded, beaded/unbeaded types, so photos would be needed for strict accuracy. During this period, some 8Fs also got high sided Fowler tenders, Stanier 3500 gallon tenders and and even some rebuilt Johnson/Deeley tenders. Most carried these exchanged tenders to withdrawal.

Perhaps Hornby are signalling a move of the 8F to the RailRoad range by putting a RailRoad tender behind it (and perhaps complete new tooling is in the offing?)

The re-issue of the Royal Scots might suggest that the design problem with the motor retaining bracket has been addresssed. if it hasn't, Peter's Spares might find 2017 brings a pickup in sales for their brass replacement bracket.

Edited by rodger5591

They may just be resting the tooling or looking a retool of the chassis.

Maybe, but they keep picking odd choices that can only be done with one engine. There still has been no headcode box dutch liveried machine for general release, nor Intercity Swallow. Yes the livery options are starting to run out, and BR blue and Green examples still are called for, but some obvious choices remain that have not been done.

• RMweb Gold

Jason

Jason

If im readying the table right. 72 but this is spread between flush tanks/snap head with beading and high sieded. All with coal rails. Some later received 3500gal stanier tenders. Tanders were taken from compounds/ Austin7's etc

Information from page 123. 8f lms locomotives profiles

Edited by farren

• RMweb Premium

Actually it is not really clear what D400 Hornby are doing. There is a side window replaced with a grille which would suggest the refurbished version. It is only an image and not a picture of the model so it really could be either version as the image is just an impression.

I would love to know how Hornby mocked up that image. I can't imagine that Hornby has tooled up more than two bodyside options - original condition with window and sandboxes and refurbished with grille and without sandboxes and I'm not aware of a join line amidships. But it would be helpful to know which version it will be.

As for the rest, I think in the circumstances Hornby has probably made a good balance between offering new models and not overstretching themselves. But I really do hope they are listening to the comments about their shade of BR green, especially on BR(W) types. I might finally be interested in a Brit (70007 Coeur de Lion) but that green looks muddier then early versions.

I'm also pleased to see the Collects in BR maroon (assuming the crimson images are wrong rather than the description). I presume all versions did last in service to be repainted maroon, but does anyone know whether LH or RH versions were more predominant by that stage? I only need one or two to add to mixed rakes rather than buy one (or more) of each.

• RMweb Premium

I'm happy with a Colas 60 this year.

I don't know why there are so many moans about not doing this or that and then complaining about a price. Buy less but buy what you really want. I'm glad there is less announced with the higher prices we now need to pay as it still means I can get what I would like without missing out.

I hope it's a good year for Hornby and there financial position improves.

All the best

Mark

I completely agree here.

With the higher prices on some of the products I am more than happy that less has been announced that I would like to buy because it gives me the opportunity to buy the locos that I would really like. I am probably going to buy 60087 in Colas Rail livery and DB Schenker liveried 67013. Hopefully I can afford one of each of these. If I can afford more than one of each, maybe two of each that's even better.

Besides it provides us with more to look forward to in future. Plenty more opportunities for the Class 60 after 60087 is released. One could be modelled in Colas Rail livery again but with the new helmets, 60076 in Tarmac livery could be modelled and a DB Schenker red Class 60. That's at least three more Class 60s that could be announced in the future, probably more if more numbers are modelled. Lots more locos to look forward to in the future.