Farmer's Drove late 70s in the fens

sf315

New layout set in the Fens in the mid to late 70's

Welcome to my new thread for my Lyddrail challenge layout. Which after it's done will be made into a continuous run layout for exhibition use.

More details to come

Edited by sf315

Set in the Fens on another joint line south east of Spalding. With the goods yard being taken over by Keeling's grain products and feeds.
The station facilities reduced to a bus shelter for passenger protection and a DMU service in each direction.

Tracklaying started in late August as the pic shows

IMG_1302.JPG

post-5955-0-44059300-1482943695.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4

By the end of September the layout had progressed to the state below
The buildings at the rear are a mixture of scratchbuilt, Walthers, Faller grain silos and Bachman scenecraft. The board had been cut away to allow for the drain to be below track level. Platforms are Farish ones cut to size

IMG_1217.JPG

post-5955-0-88468600-1482944416.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 6

By the start of December fencing and level crossing had been installed. A start has also been made on static grassing.

A lot of inspiration for this layout has come from George Woodcock & John Norton's layout Fenchurch St Peter.

post-5955-0-83076900-1482944957.jpg

• Like 10

The freight traffic will see grain wagons to the yard behind the station along with van traffic for animal feedstock.

It's also hoped for sugar beet traffic once worked out how to model it.

Through traffic to Whitemoor of various wagonload traffic is envisaged on the branch with an odd parcels traffic.

The model will be be analogue control with my trusty home built transformer and Kent Panel Handheld controller.

The track is PECO code 55 with code 80 set track curves.

For the challenge the layout will be U shaped with a small fiddle yard at either end but afterwards it will become a roundy roundy

More later

Thanks steve

Edited by sf315
  • Like 2

Hi there

The points with them being finescale PECO code 55 they are the short radius points which are near enough the same geometry as a code 80 medium radius. I always try to use at least that size on any seinic section of a layout.

Motive power will come from my collection and will be used on my other 70s layout I have virtually completed Lymebrook Yard ( check its own thread) will consist of 08,20,24,25,31,37,40,44,47. With DMU classes 101 from Farish along with kit built from BHE class 105 which is a must for the area, 120 Swindon unit and a 104 BRCW from Worsley Works etches.

Thanks Steve.

• Like 1

The layout takes its name from the signal box name which protects the crossing.

The name comes from looking on maps of the area there are many places and roads with drove (named after livestock driving roads across the fens from times gone by)after them, so I added my surname as it fitted well in the area.

The station name will be called Crowland Road.

Thanks.

post-5955-0-42514200-1483003675.jpg

• Like 5

A pic I ve come across of the crossing at an early stage of scenic work with The Bachman building in the background being used as an old part of the grain and feed business. The crossing gates are Ratio ones modified and the red lamp is still to be added. The PW hut on the left isn't going there now. The posts and fencing around the sidings comes from B&H Enterprises.

Thanks Steve

IMG_1305.JPG

post-5955-0-19224300-1483027515.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all
Have been working on the "station building " on the layout today two are underway one on each platform. The basic structure is compete. They are made from clear plastic sheet and micro strip. Fox transfers lining will be used to divide the glazing up on the panels.

IMG_1312.JPG

post-5955-0-86361400-1483811249.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 4

Well the above shelters didnt come out very well so they were assigned to the bin and a start has been made on some more. Again from folded clear sheet but the bottom part masked off and painted and Fox lining used for the glazing bars. pic to follow when finished.

thanks Steve

Hello all

Have had a go at better platform shelters

Folded clear sheet with glazing bars from Fox transfer lining sheet.

One has been made for each platform.

On the actual layout itself I've started to wire up the Dapol signals and done some more wiring for the magnets for uncoupling.

The layout is packed away at the moment as I have three shows in as many weeks coming up with Tanners Hill.

Thanks Steve.

post-5955-0-83901300-1484394528.jpg

• Like 7

Very neat and square Steve

Can I ask, how you stick clear sheet to Plasticard?  

I've had the odd window come out over the years, have left bigger windows loose inside frames to stop the glue misting up the clear sheet etc...

Have tried liquid poly, and UHU so far, or do I have to accept they are just fragile?

Probably a question for another part of the Forum, but wanted to say good luck with Tanners Hill, it's one of those layouts I look back at for detailing ideas / inspiration

Regards - Steve

The shelter is glued with liquid poly a good brush full but careful not to get onto the clear. Ifyou are sticking windows in have you tried deluxe materials glue and glaze It really good stuff. It dries clear.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hello all

I have started to add vegetation on the layout it was static grassed a few weeks ago. The vegetation comes from the Woodland Scenics range of various types of greens. The trees are from 4D modelshop in London.