Tinner's Forge

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Turin 60 said:

Got to say despite the light problems  that sky looks really threatening in the picture. 

John.

It sounds glib, but that was the idea. I wanted an autumnal feel, bare trees, lots of leaf litter and a dark, brooding sky. The extra bright sunshine today didn't help at all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi Stu

It was great catch up with you again & had a couple of really nice chats.....

It's a great shame you were having problems as the layout looked superb......

SWMBO was most impressed especially as she instantly recognised the main building having driven past it many times.....

i took a few pics but the shadows cast by the shades caused a few problems so here are the best...

IMG_6912.resized.JPG.ec2176baa7b092c17c6ddcaeb7c085e2.JPG

IMG_6915.resized.JPG.ca624a4db5c29bbd476b114b514636f4.JPG

IMG_6917.resized.JPG.af1c66b3cf7b4c30914fe9733d4d0739.JPG

Although not perfect the light effect is similar to how it looks just before a storm down here where the sky goes black but the sun shines brightly through the gaps in the heavy cloud & picks out small areas of brightness.....

Any way keep up the good work......

The modelling is excellent & SWMBO & I both enjoyed Tinners Forge....

See you soon

Cheers Bill

IMG_6919.resized.JPG

Thanks Bill, glad you both liked it.

If you know any building, when seen on a layout, it's always good to hear that it's been recognised. 

Hopefully after a night in the conservatory,  the layout will have acclimatised and behave tomorrow. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Stu

I tried your sheet method, couldn't see if the running had improved as the layout was covered in a sheet. It didn't even look any better because of the sheet. Not sure anyone wants to see photos of a lumpy sheet. 

Must have done something wrong. 

Forget the layout, put the sheet over your head and then you won't notice how badly the layout is running.

• Thanks 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

On reflection, not an awful exhibition. As always the Hayle club were welcoming & looked after us well. Saw lots of old friends, hopefully made a couple more.

I have a photo of the real 'forge' on the front of the layout - several viewers recognised it, including a family who live opposite it.

Lots of positive comments too about the presentation, from the laser-cut name to the framing and the curved backscene. The height was not an issue either, I offer my stool to any family with young children which lets them see and relieves the parents' carrying arms for a few moments.

T-CATS is now booked in for next May's show - it will, of course, be debuted at SWAG in Taunton first.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't resist this one. It will be used on T-CATS as the local shunter, slightly re-liveried to a private owner for one of the China Clay companies which merged into ECLP/ECC.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice. They certainly saw some loco action at Tinner's Forge. In fact I've been doing a bit of gricing. Going back over the thread I count at least 8 different loco classes :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've not tried the two apart as yet. The loco is a little hesitant at very low speeds, but I've not lubricated it yet, nor given it a chance to be run-in, so I'm hoping it will improve.

The plugs between loco and truck are very small, so I'll need tweezers and a gentle pull to remove them.

Last night was more about a quick plonk it down test run back and forth - once T-CATS is fully wired I'll be able to test and run-in on there.

• RMweb Gold

I did state weathering had started.

I agree though, this was just the first pass, dry-brushing with 'track colour' ( will update with the Humbrol number tomorrow).

I need to add rust and smoke residue, especially to the cab rooves.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.

I also used a little bit of H224 (grey) to add smoke residue and today will be sparingly adding H186 (mid brown) as a rust-type shade to those parts I think need to be a bit rusty.

20191003_130041.jpg.f5e52d1e16dfb5d6b21f29198c850f44.jpg

20191003_130051.jpg.8991b7fe497a13e754568b69d677adce.jpg

20191003_130122.jpg.4866c3c101dbc3f8c8aabd6f10f24c2b.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I think they'll do now, not overly weathered, but enough to take off the 'out of the box' shine.

I might as well take both to Bodmin, plus the Dapol 22, just need to sort the wagons and make a new cover for the layout.