Tinner's Forge

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

' dry-brushed with an old, misshapen brush'

A traditional punishment in parts of Cumbria.......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

On 03/10/2019 at 16:27, Stubby47 said:

Thanks.

No, just dry-brushed with an old, misshapen brush.

Some lovely weathering, Stubby - weathering  locomotives and wagons is next on my to-do list. I have given in and purchased one of these little Ruston’s - now I need to create a small shunting layout to do it justice! 

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 18:15, NHY 581 said:

A traditional punishment in parts of Cumbria.......

Think your getting South Wales mix up with Cumbria, we don't have old misshapen brushes up here, as a matter of fact we don't have brushes, but we do have loads of sheep!!!!!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2019 at 12:45, Stubby47 said:

Tinner's Forge will be at the Bodmin show, 19th/20th October.

Not sure what guise it will be, possibly green diesel with the Ruston, or earlier with the Peckett.

Just reminding you, in case you're passing.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

And now back in the box file.

The wagons are separated by strips of foam board with craft foam stuck to each side, then the lot are wedged in with cheap door wedges.

A very nice little set of wagons! Could I ask if the storage concept is new or of long standing? The reason for the question is that I have built a similar foam board setup in Really Useful boxes and was considering using craft foam for the cushioning but am concerned that it may break down over time and either stick to, or pull off, paintwork or transfers. So I don't want to jump in with both feet without getting some data on the subject.

• RMweb Gold

Er, it's brand new. I've used felt strips in other boxes, instead of the craft foam, but I've no reason to doubt the longevity of either. I've had the foam 'in stock' for a couple of years, stored in the garage, and it looks as good as new.

It's soft enough to give a little when all the rows are pushed together but shouldn't get damaged in use as the separators are spread wide enough when inserting or removing wagons.

These are also only used for transporting stock to/from exhibitions, I have no thoughts about long term mass storage as most wagons are still in their original boxes or loose packed wrapped in paper towels.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bo-Bo said:

Stuey I like your idea of storing wagons safely, to and from exhibitions. 

There are 20 wagons in the box (now, not in the picture) which is enough for a 2-day show for a layout only needing 8 wagons on show at a time.

The wire hooks are the most vulnerable,  so spare wagons are essential,  plus changing the fleet helps to ease the monotony of shunting the same ones over and ovef and over again.

For this weekend the motive power will be green, a Class 22, a 25, and the Ruston.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Two of the wagons didn't pass the fit-for-use test so will be left behind in disgrace. 

Meanwhile TF is loaded ready in the car.  

Please say hello if you should happen to be at the Bodmin show this weekend.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Two of the wagons didn't pass the fit-for-use test so will be left behind in disgrace. 

Meanwhile TF is loaded ready in the car.  

Please say hello if you should happen to be at the Bodmin show this weekend.

I won't be but hello anyway.

Have a good weekend.

• Thanks 1