Tinner's Forge

• RMweb Gold

I have been trying to build a control panel and generally failing miserably.

The 6mm ply was too thick, the thin aluminium sheet wasn't suitable, so today I opted for a blank plate for a double socket, with a 40mm deep surface mounted plastic box behind.

True to form, I drilled the first hole in the plate in the wrong place, but managed to recover. But I also drilled holes in the box wrongly as well, so that will be replaced.

post-7025-0-46572400-1484685934_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having been unable, for some unfathomable reasons (PAT Testing, H&S, noxious fumes, risk of burning, etc., etc.) to use my soldering iron in work to day at lunchtime, I have busied myself with cutting wires to length instead.

post-7025-0-38626900-1484830969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wiring of the layout SCART socket should be completed later, then plug it all in and test.

post-7025-0-73719600-1484991298_thumb.jpg

Next will be positioning the uncouplers, then finding the stash of mini switches for the isolating sections.

After that, scenics.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Finished wiring up the SCART socket, only to find I'd done 180° the wrong way round.  Re-soldered the wires on the right way, fitted the second point motor, finished the power leads and adding plugs to the controller wires and all is working as expected. :)

More testing need now before fitting the uncouplers.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu, this looks like a very attractive layout in the making!

I remember once some years ago you proposed having several small layouts connected by non-scenic bits of rail - like islands with bridges between them. I know this layout is meant to practice techniques on, but it could still be connected to your harbour layout following that old idea.

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel - that's exactly the idea with this.  Now Treamble is open at both ends, there are more possibilities to join the modules in various configurations, the Harbour and Cubert will only add to that variety.

As well as scenic techniques, I also want to experiment with seasonal variations, this is planned to be set late December/early January, which of course in Cornwall does not mean snow, just damp & cold.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A short walk from the office this lunchtime allowed me to do some research on Cornish hedges. As this is about the right time of year I want to set the model in, a good selection of photos will help set the scene.

So, a quiet corner with some grass, weeds and trees

post-7025-0-50927500-1485264022_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-09195600-1485264024_thumb.jpg

In the next 'field' (more a small piece of rough ground enclosed by a fence & wall, there is the remains of a tree, recently chopped up.

post-7025-0-31449400-1485264093_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-05905000-1485264094_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-75591700-1485264094_thumb.jpg

Across the road, in the large field, there is an old stone hedge, partly sunk into a ditch

post-7025-0-17357100-1485264157_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-93586000-1485264157_thumb.jpg

Further along the same boundary line is a bit more of the hedge

post-7025-0-02583200-1485264206_thumb.jpg

Then across the end of the field is a more substantial hedge, with a small copse of trees behind. This wall has seen better days; the wide variety of stone colours is interesting too.

post-7025-0-79838100-1485264281_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-99999900-1485264282_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-48095900-1485264284_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-51474500-1485264285_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-54508700-1485264286_thumb.jpg

All of these are the sort of hedge I want to recreate...

• Like 2

I got confused, I'd never heard of a "Cornish Hedge".

Up here in't North, a hedge made from stones is called...

A Wall!

:D

Al.

You can see stone walls. The trick with Cornish Hedges, and in Devon too, is that they look like grassy banks with a hedge on top, that wouldn't do much damage if you drove into them. Fortunately, I never have :).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can see stone walls. The trick with Cornish Hedges, and in Devon too, is that they look like grassy banks with a hedge on top, that wouldn't do much damage if you drove into them. Fortunately, I never have :).

Yes, I did a bit of googling, as I really hadn't heard of either Cornish or Devonian hedges before. They're an interesting construction, and certainly must be pretty solid affairs.

Thankfully, the only wall I've ever driven through was a puny drystone affair of millstone grit, and the Land Rover I was in mostly won... :D

Perfidious South-Westerners, build a stone wall and then camouflage it...

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to wander off topic Stu, but I wonder what the justification was to build such robust structures for use as field boundaries, they seem to be massively over-engineered for their purpose.

I would not have expected that prevailing winds or weather would mean that a normal vegetation based hedge wouldn't survive.

I guess that the use of a soil core with stone outer uses less stone than a normal drystone construction would need, so if stone is scarce that would make sense, but I'm not aware of a shortage of stone in Cornwall or Devon!

Cheers

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Reading the .pdf, some of the well built walls have lasted for over 100 years, without any need for repair.  The prevailing south-westerly winds in Cornwall, with over 3,000 miles of ocean to get up speed, do tend to be quite strong, and with no natural forests or large mountains to break them up, can cause damage over time.

It's also possible that ( and I'm guessing here ) different parts of the UK had different ideas on what was needed for walling - indeed the north of the county used more slate-base stone for their hedges, so are of a different pattern to the more central or southern varieties.

May be some hedges were made over size on purpose, so there could be hidden storage areas inside, especially those near secluded harbours...

Edit : Quotes from the Cornish Hedges website

"They provide essential shelter from the Atlantic weather for livestock and field crops, and enable the farmer's herd to graze safely. The hedge growth supplies a source of trace elements and herbs necessary to the health of grazing animals. The hedgebanks prevent erosion of valuable topsoil and leaching of plant nutrients from field crops. They are the source of hedgerow timber, and they harbour a host of beneficial insects which prey on crop pests and attract birds and mammals to control aphids and rodents."

"One of the practical ways in which Cornish hedges most benefit the public is their vital role in run-off prevention. In Cornwall's climate the tilled fields are at times subjected to forces of wind and rain similar in effect to a high-pressure hose. The steep, well-drained land with an often thin covering of stony soil makes excellent grazing for traditional livestock, but once ploughed is extremely susceptible to erosion. Cornish hedges protect the soil from disappearing downhill when it rains."

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Reading the .pdf, some of the well built walls have lasted for over 100 years, without any need for repair.

Ouch... I got an RTFM there... :D

The prevailing south-westerly winds in Cornwall, with over 3,000 miles of ocean to get up speed, do tend to be quite strong, and with no natural forests or large mountains to break them up, can cause damage over time.

Never stopped to consider it, but of course you are right, it is actually quite a windswept county.

It's also possible that ( and I'm guessing here ) different parts of the UK had different ideas on what was needed for walling.

I have some experience of limestone drystone walling here in Derbyshire, where we essentially build two thin battered walls about two foot apart at the bottom and a foot apart at the top, and fill the middle with small stone and soil.

Thanks very much Stu, very interesting.

Al.

• Like 1

Sorry to wander off topic Stu, but I wonder what the justification was to build such robust structures for use as field boundaries, they seem to be massively over-engineered for their purpose.

I would not have expected that prevailing winds or weather would mean that a normal vegetation based hedge wouldn't survive.

I guess that the use of a soil core with stone outer uses less stone than a normal drystone construction would need, so if stone is scarce that would make sense, but I'm not aware of a shortage of stone in Cornwall or Devon!

Cheers

Al.

Simple - the auto body repair cartel dictates this construction.