Tinner's Forge

• RMweb Gold

If it's sunny, just outside the garage is quite a sheltered spot, but only between midday and 3pm. After that it gets cold..

Also, for some reason, I'm not alllowed to saw wood in the warmth of the kitchen.

Edited by Stubby47

If it's sunny, just outside the garage it quite a sheltered spot, but only between midday and 3pm. After that it gets cold..

Also, for some reason, i'm not alllowed to saw wood in the warmth of the kitchen.

Reminds me of Jasper Carrotts moped......

'Me mom won't let me fix it in the kitchen, I've got to mend it in the garding......,

• RMweb Premium

Three electro uncouplers wired up, still only 1 working.

Three isolating sections wired up, 1 works, 1 shorts , 1 doesn't isolate.

Some remedial work required.

at the fear of been contentious it appears more haste equal less speed  :jester:

still I'm sure your sort it out

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Just not thinking straight. I knew the isolating sections were going to be a bodge as I'm using the feeds already in place, but needed to re-connect the ends to the switches. One was also on the other rail ( hence the short) - planned, but not actually done correctly.

The magnets are too deep, so I'll need to deepen the forstner bit holes to allow them to sit higher up.

Nothing too onerous.

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd have a go at a test build of a Cornish hedge.

It's a bit like ballasting, one stone at a time...

post-7025-0-96180300-1485953196_thumb.jpg

I calculate there's about 4ft to do...

What is obvious is it needs to be a lot neater, so the 'stones' need to be picked with more care and better positioned.

What also seems to work better is to lay one row of stones in the glue and let them dry before adding the next row.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

All three isolating sections now working correctly, and I know what's wrong with the two electro magnets - the Scart lead has a twisted pair of wires, so what I thought was the common return was a feed. 

Once that is proven I can complete the tidying up of the wiring nest and leave the layout upright.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

I've been trying to find some photos of my walling produced using cat-litter and PVA, the best I can come up with are these.

post-17302-0-35463600-1486497343_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-48690400-1486497373_thumb.jpg

Sorry but the walls were not the main subject of the photos.

Edit: Oops forgot to detail the method!

So I formed a trench with two straight offcuts of 19mm ply about a centimetre apart.

Take a sheet of clingfilm and push it down between the sides, and flat to the bottom.

run a thin bead of neat PVA along the bottom, and then sprinkle cat-litter on top, tamping it down flat with a finger.

run more pva, and add more cat litter, repeat until bored.

Allow to dry for 12 hours, and then remove clingfilm.

Paint as required.

Al.

Edited by acg_mr

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Al, very clever.

I'm not convinced I have a suitable method yet for the Cornish hedges. They can be very overgrown so I could dispense with most of the stonework and just add greenery.

Tonight is the start of the terraforming...pics later.

• Like 2