Split Box (CF) 37 1980's details please

Jintyman

I don't usually plug my own web site but you can take a choice from various prototypes at the following web address :-

http://www.buritonwheelbarrow.net/UKRailways/BRs-Blue-Period/Diesel-Locos-Class-31-to-37/

It is worth noting that by the 'eighties most locos have had the "cowling" on the nose cut back (not a hard and fast rule for split box locos but it seems that most had had the modification by this time period - as always try and find a dated picture - this is why I try to include a date in the caption information).

Roger

Hi all,

I'm looking for a split box class 37 (Non Scottish) that remained in blue well into the 1980's.

Any photo evidence or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

I think you might struggle with that one!

I did find a few visitors to canton that fit the bill though:

Class 37s

Cheers

Lee

When's your definition of "well into" the 80s?

I've a few non-Scottish ones in 1984 and 1985, with both colours (yellow or black) of split headcode boxes, and even one with both colours, 1984 at Whittlesford I think on a King's Lynn/Cambridge train:

post-6971-0-50226800-1483191252.jpg

Edit: just noticed the "CF" in the title. Presumably you only want Cardiff ones.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I'm looking for a split box class 37 (Non Scottish) that remained in blue well into the 1980's.

Any photo evidence or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jinty ;)

There seems to have been quite a few, mainly ER ones that fit the bill. Shame the Railway Herald search isn't working as there have been quite a few....

1,2,4,6,8,9,13,15,16,20,21,24,29,30,34,38 and 40 are some of them.

Dave

Jinty,

Further to my last..... according to the BRdatabase website, 37078 was allocated to CF from 15/05/1988.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=32&type=D&page=alloc

Seen here at swindon in July of that year:

Cheers

Lee

Thanks, it looks like 078 is the one, but looking back at the other photo it could be just a visitor......................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d9006/5945566597/in/photolist-a4ozNV-7z4aTh-6SJTqa-7zfHqd-6C6Ysb-a46oqg-6C6Yy3-7yZpH6-6C6YmW-6CN8tn-9Dcg18-6FoHbw-7DQDAP-82x8Mc-84RkNg-MkLAoy-5owUXA-5xeqMZ-7gejsm-CGg8s3-DQRTde-9uNPb7-8f6vyB-pZi582-a1rpC2-MgF7cy-fMebnd-PyCCo6-8f6uoX-d9Z8E2-6CNScB-6CT2jE-6E6o2Q-bzHdgY-9GPgZF-eexYY5-6ubPYe-akfe4L-rU31kt-dEg7wN-JUXxnN-akqqC1-9GUZf7-bD1rXs-wAswMP-rJr4Fq-Lad17V-oG2xbi-bqdPuB-HYm7BP

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

I know I'll have to do the buffer beam conversion, and that's all in hand, I needed one nearer the late 80's and even though that one has the white/grey line at the cantrail, it fits, but I did want an all over blue one, so one of those visitors might be chosen yet.

Thanks again for your input.

Jinty ;)

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

I know I'll have to do the buffer beam conversion, and that's all in hand, I needed one nearer the late 80's and even though that one has the white/grey line at the cantrail, it fits, but I did want an all over blue one, so one of those visitors might be chosen yet.

Thanks again for your input.

Jinty ;)

Been and had a quick look at some allocations for 1986 and 1988 (as a late 'eighties sample). No split headcode box examples allocated to Cardiff (or anywhere else in Wales). Visitors from Thornaby which do qualify were frequent so I suggest you arrange for Canton to "borrow" one!

Roger

Ill have a look about ,how far into the 80's do you want 37052 was blue no cowling in 83 think it was a healy mill's loco

Most of the 37's that ran around Barnsley in the 80's where blue

Brian

just realisd it's cardif ones you want

Ill have a look about ,how far into the 80's do you want 37052 was blue no cowling in 83 think it was a healy mill's loco

Most of the 37's that ran around Barnsley in the 80's where blue

Brian

just realisd it's cardif ones you want

Hi Brian,

Thanks, I've settled on 042 as it is pictured at Cardiff with 046 in 1989 and still in BR Blue.

I'll do as suggested above, Cardiff 'Borrowed' it!

Jinty ;)

Archived