Brickpaper or Plastikard?

justin1985

Not quite on the topic of Brickpaper va Plasticard, but does anyone know what this brick bond would be called? It seems to be used on NER buildings in the early years of the 20th century - well at least at Bridlington and Londesborough excursion station at Scarborough.

Thanks,

Bill

post-2566-0-65687500-1539700263_thumb.jpg

I don't see it as a common type. It's like English garden wall - 3 rows stretchers to one row headers - where the latter course has been done 'Flemish' (alternating header and stretcher). Makes little sense because the stretchers could have been laid header and the cost is the same but strength would be lower in this wall with no apparent cost saving over English garden wall bond? Maybe the bricks were inconsistent in size making selection of headers difficult so fewer were used.

Depends on the ink used to print them, and what, if any, treatment they get thereafter. 

The worst for fading is probably home-printed with aftermarket cheap ink cartridges.  Some brand-name ink cartridges are very good in resisting fading.  Commercially produced depends on who did it, the best are very stable. 

You can coat the finished walls in artists acrylic varnish, which is clear and designed to stop UV light which is the cause of a lot of fading. 

I've had a home printed (HP ink) brick paper building, coated with artists varnish, on my shelf for years.  It doesn't get much direct sun, but the position is bright.  Very little, if any, fading when compared to the parts of the building on the "inside" which isn't subjected to sunlight.

Would ordinary matt varnish help prevent a lot of fading on brick papers.?

Keith.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. It did look rather strange to me.

The above diagrams are interesting, although the "common" type is the one I'd have called "English Garden Wall". In fairness it does seem to be the most common style used around where I live. I'd not seen the difference between English and English cross before.

Bill