Jason's 2017 Mystery Tour

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

"don't know anything about architecture" - so that reserves opinion for those 'in the know'. How very convenient!! It ensures that no architect or his work is ever given the thumbs down, except maybe by some daring member of his own clique. Of course, you don't need to know anything about architecture to know what you like, what is ugly and what is beautiful. There are some superb, revolutionary buildings which are beautiful and not in any way what one is used to. That thing in Birmingham is not one of them. (CJL)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone (not least Architects, city planners, developers) has to bow to your conservative opinions.

Re New St Station itself (sorry about drifting the thread back towards railways.....  :D ) it does look MILES better than it did in BR days, when it was like an oversized Underground Station and just about as dark too.

However, using it as a passenger is a right pain sometimes as various bits of it aren't connected to the other bits and require you to go through all sorts of hoops to find the platform you actually need. Whether that has anything to do with the different TOCs I'm not sure, but the NR staff on duty seemed to think it was very logical.

Not to me it isn't............  :nono:

I think it even looks good from the air when you (sometimes) approach Birmingham airport across the city.  (Selfridges that is, not Jason!)

Drifting the thread into a 360 pirouette that would befit a fairy on a block of lard, I once flew from Belfast to Stansted on a clear night and we passed right over Birmingham, as I could clearly see Spaghetti Junction.  The most prominent thing though was Star City, lit up like a tart's boudoir, standing out even from well over 10000 feet.  If people think the Selfridge building is "challenging" then Star City will cause you to break out in hives. Subtle it ain't.

Drifting the thread into a 360 pirouette that would befit a fairy on a block of lard, I once flew from Belfast to Stansted on a clear night and we passed right over Birmingham, as I could clearly see Spaghetti Junction.  The most prominent thing though was Star City, lit up like a tart's boudoir, standing out even from well over 10000 feet.  If people think the Selfridge building is "challenging" then Star City will cause you to break out in hives. Subtle it ain't.

Yup; Disneyland Nechells.

Drifting further over Britain's skies I'd say that the most easily identifiable town from 30,000ft at night is Milton Keynes.

As you were.

"don't know anything about architecture" - so that reserves opinion for those 'in the know'. How very convenient!! It ensures that no architect or his work is ever given the thumbs down, except maybe by some daring member of his own clique. ... (CJL)

Of course - up to a point. Which is pretty much the same reason why we might judge your opinions on railway modelling as being of vastly greater merit than those of my Great Aunty Violet; you know what you're talking about, while she (God bless her) does not.

I know we're meant to be in a post-expert world, but surely we can agree that not all opinions on every subject are equal?

Paul

I never said everyone had to agree with my conservative views. I like to be different - especially when I'm right! No amount of telling me how clever it is will make me like it. But I think I've wasted enough time on it now. Everyone else thinks it's great, so that's good. And really this was about Jason's trip, which I think he enjoyed and which, I know, progressed our little project a good deal further. (CJL)

I never said everyone had to agree with my conservative views. I like to be different - especially when I'm right! No amount of telling me how clever it is will make me like it. But I think I've wasted enough time on it now. Everyone else thinks it's great, so that's good. And really this was about Jason's trip, which I think he enjoyed and which, I know, progressed our little project a good deal further. (CJL)

Well I think we can all agree it generates discussion and debate which is more than my local out of town Argos does...  :-)

The trip was a hoot, but I've been home five days and I've barely recovered.

The whole "five meetings - four cities - two days" at the end really wiped me out. In comparison our jaunt around Peterborough at the beginning of the trip was a walk in the park! That day I only did Reading-Birmingham-Peterborough-Darlington!  :D

-Jason

The trip was a hoot, but I've been home five days and I've barely recovered.

A rough rule of thumb is that it takes a day to recover for every hour's difference in time zone.

Though, as I get older, I'm not sure my body now ever recovers...

Paul

A rough rule of thumb is that it takes a day to recover for every hour's difference in time zone.

Paul

Given Fairbourne's "solar time" is approximately 8 minutes later than the time in the Midlands where my family live, on that basis I should do nothing for 3.2 hours after every journey I make across to visit them.

That's fine by me.

Paul

When I was younger, a LOT younger, I used to fly over to the USA 3-4 times a year, for 30 years or so.

No wonder I'm always feeling bushed.   :O

I hope it was on a tilting plane

They all tilt, but just like E-Train you're not meant to notice.  :D

Mostly they were Northwest DC10-40s, or 747-200s, but now and then I flew KLM 747-300s and once aboard Air Canada 767. The latter was NOT recommended as you'd have thought I was trying a one man invasion of Canada when I got to Toronto from the treatment I got from Canadian Immigration. :O  I was only in transit too!

Archived