Commer walk-thru vans

shipbadger

My late Father used to drive a Commer van for Bowyers, out of the BRS depot in Melksham. I remember we used to have plenty of banter with the Walls and Millers salesmen we met, on his round in Bath.

If only Oxford Diecast could give us some models in these liveries.

I worked out of the Bristol depot for Bowyers, then when that was closed went to the depot adjacent to the factory at Trowbridge, where the the Melksham dept. had already moved to.

Keith

• Like 1

Interesting to see that OD disguised the rear screw in the baseplate with a spare tyre, so well disguised, it had me quite stumped at first, but a little prod or two with the craft knife revealed all. Was also concerned with the ride height of the front wheels when still in the box, fortunately, these fears were allayed once it stood on its own four wheels.

post-6974-0-33934300-1513602642_thumb.jpgpost-6974-0-00533200-1513602683_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevblokey

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know when the British Rail parcels vans started to be painted in Blue Grey. I want one for my proposed model but need to know if it can be painted in the BR scheme. I had a temporary job driving them for national carriers on the BR contract. One of the best jobs I had I was based out of Earlswood good depot next to the Quarry Line just south of Redhill. You where paid a straight 8 hours for a load of upto 100 parcels you then got an hours overtime for each additional 10 parcels delivered over the 100. My best day was turning up to find I had a load of footballs for Surrey County Councils education department 120 all individually wrapped. So off to Ewell one delivery then back to the car park at the top of Reigate hill and put my feet up for the rest of the day until 3 o'clock when back to base. If you went back before three then you had to have a second load.

Keith

• Like 2

I assume you mean the white with rail blue like this. I have a feeling it was 1974*, but I'd have to dig out some old notebooks to be certain.

* around the time the first experimentally refurbished 1st gen. DMU was done, also in white with blue.

I agree with Bernard on the date, from photos in my collection, it would appear that N registered (1974-5) vans were the first to appear in that livery.

Don't forget the parcels vans all had roller shutter rear doors if you're doing a Oxford conversion.

post-1625-0-94777600-1517827807_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Pleasing to see that this week's release of the Rail Express Parcels large logo has a roller shutter rear door, and the same registration number as the one in the previous post. All round photos here:-

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/new-in/products/commer-walk-thru-rail-express-parcels-76cwt006

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 1