Peckett W4 types - weathering, modifying and prototype

• RMweb Gold

This topic is for those who have done something with their Pecketts other than shake the box, and is also for prototype information and photos of the W4 type. Please share your modified or weathered models and post photos of the prototype here. You can also post photos of your locos if they are on a proper industrial layout.

Hi Dave,

Are photos of models of other types of industrial locos OK on here? Also, can the settings be non-industrial but similarly off-the-beaten-track, such as light railways? Perhaps if it appeared in the pages of By-Lines, it could appear in this thread?

Cheers.

• Like 1

I would like to see some more of your industrial locos, Cap'n but I'd like to keep this for Pecketts. If it's a suitable industrial or light railway setting then feel free to start a new topic in this UK Standard Gauge section.

Not mine but a build I was excitedly waiting for about as much as the actual model, Oly Turner's:

https://otcm.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/filthy-dirty-grubby-meet-the-model-of-2016-the-peckett-is-finished/

I knew I would want one of these and deeply regret not reserving one. Seeing finished examples with a bit of dirt on them only deepens this sense of regret. They look fantastic and from the same blog, a superb quote: "So in the simplest review ever, the Peckett is great. Get one. Get eight. All our international readers, get ONE. All our British readers, if you do not already have one why not?"

Hard not to imagine a layout for these.

Chris

• Like 3

The quickest way to improve the appearance of the Pecketts is to lose the tension lock couplings. Replacement with Dinghams, AJs or proper 3 links would be the best way forward but if the rest of your stock has tension lock then a loop, wire across the buffers, or a cut down version of the stock item less the lock would be some improvement. Even Kadees look less obtrusive.

Cheers,

David

• Like 3

I'm planning to do my Huntley and Palmers one as one that Bass may have had. The MSC one is cloise enough to a stock one for the Truman, Hanley and Buxton ones with a little work. Clearly I'll be changing the couplings, and adding some big buffer heads. Anyone know what paint for Indian Red? I'm exiled in Guernsey so I can't readily do a sample board and take it to the real thing. I know they didn't actually have one, but they could have done...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not mine but a build I was excitedly waiting for about as much as the actual model, Oly Turner's:

https://otcm.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/filthy-dirty-grubby-meet-the-model-of-2016-the-peckett-is-finished/

I knew I would want one of these and deeply regret not reserving one. Seeing finished examples with a bit of dirt on them only deepens this sense of regret. They look fantastic and from the same blog, a superb quote: "So in the simplest review ever, the Peckett is great. Get one. Get eight. All our international readers, get ONE. All our British readers, if you do not already have one why not?"

Hard not to imagine a layout for these.

Chris

That's a very effective conversion and puts me in mind of the slightly larger 'Sir Gomer' or 'Kilmersdon'.

Plucked up the courage and attacked my Dodo...

31727955120_32ed657fa2_z.jpgDodo is Extinct by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Name removed with autosol on a cotton bud, weathering is a mix of Matt black wash, AK interactive streaking grime and then followed up with humbrol smoke weathering powder. Unbeknown to me the washes were still damp in some places so it all went a bit wrong with the powder, so the cleaner will have to get his rag back out and clean it again before it's allowed into traffic...

OK a few more pics before I clan it up!

32103941145_3c333e7247_z.jpgShunting by Alan Jones, on Flickr

31262618314_6d46582a01_z.jpgShunting by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 12

Peckett w/n 832, the subject of the Hornby Huntley & Palmers model. Seen here very much later in its life at Cransley iron works in Northants.

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/131914221315_/2-Original-Slides-Of-Cransley-Iron-Works.jpg

A picture in Industrial Steam Album Number 2, by M.J. Fox and G.D. King shows the front of the loco, which by then had deep buffer beams and 4 buffers and two drawhooks at each end. The second set being lower and narrower-set than the originals. Presumably for some internal use wagons. It was scrapped on site by George Cohen & Sons Ltd. in 1966.

A suggestion for those who use tension link couplings. Have a look and see if you have some spare NEM wagon couplings from Bachmann stock. These are shorter and with the hook removed are very unobtrusive.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

If we start hacking mainline locos about like this in some form of fantasy modification league without definitive proof we would be placed in the village stocks and have wet Journals thrown at us but once we step behind the industrial gates I think it's more permissible to become a little freelance. After all, many of the industries are fictitious and it's far more plausible that they could have acquired a loco and made their own modifications and applied their own liveries. If they are well executed is there any harm in it?

That's the beauty of a near-perfect product; you feel it's worth spending time doing something more to make it more personal.

That's one of the delights of the Industrial scene, so many locations carried out their own overhauls/modifications that often the origins of the loco are lost in the mists of time. So unlike the mainline rivet counters, you can do just about anything to an industrial model and find a justification for it.

Now I've just got to decide what I want to do with mine....

• Like 1

So unlike the mainline rivet counters, you can do just about anything to an industrial model and find a justification for it.

What I cannot find a justification for, other than envy and theft, is your modelling mates in the pub contemplating swapping a Peckett for a similarly weighted salt pot in the box when you've gone to the loo. Despicable. 

Just because they were slow off the mark and didn't get one.  :biggrin_mini2:

• Funny 1

It always amuses me how some seem to think that any model of an industrial steam loco needs to be covered in a significantly large amount of filth to have "convincing realism" (whatever that is).  In truth the external condition of industrial steam locos varied and depended on such factors as their working environment, how hard they were required to work and whether or not their crew took a pride in their appearance.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 12

Prompted by Rushton on my thread on the Lilleshall Company when I posted a photo of the Lilleshall Pecket I rushed of to see if I can buy one of the new Hornby W4 to discover that they are very hard to find! A search on eBay only had two for sale so I bought one..

Has anyone taken one to bits to see how easy is it to convert to P4?

I don't have my reference books to hand but from memory the Lileshall Pecket was painted black with possibly dark blue as an alternative, so looking forward to receiving the model.

When I get home I wil post a picture of the Lilleshall version as there are bound to be some detail variations. That's the beauty of industrials they were subject to change depending on the owner.

• RMweb Gold

Prompted by Rushton on my thread on the Lilleshall Company when I posted a photo of the Lilleshall Pecket I rushed of to see if I can buy one of the new Hornby W4 to discover that they are very hard to find! A search on eBay only had two for sale so I bought one..

Has anyone taken one to bits to see how easy is it to convert to P4?

I don't have my reference books to hand but from memory the Lileshall Pecket was painted black with possibly dark blue as an alternative, so looking forward to receiving the model.

When I get home I wil post a picture of the Lilleshall version as there are bound to be some detail variations. That's the beauty of industrials they were subject to change depending on the owner.

All the info you need should be in the main Peckett thread :)

Corbs, thanks, just discovered that thread this afternoon. Having just purchased a Pecket of eBay I now discover that the next Hornby version for later in 2017 is the Lillershall loco! What are the chances of that? So I am going to pre order one of those and put the one I have ordered on display.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting to see the weathered (and modified) Pecketts beginning to emerge.

One thing that I would find helpful, would be an objective assessment of the relative merits of each method of removing the Hornby printed name plates, Huntley & Palmers lettering, numbers etc., ie. the most effective method, tool(s) and substances used to remove the printed stuff, which at the same time causes least damage to the painted livery underneath.

Thanks.

I use the rubbing compound for cars called T Cut on a cotton bud. But only put a small amount on the bud and work carefully. I don't know if this applies to the Peckets, but most ready to run models are not painted, the plastic is the body colour in which case there is no risk of rubbing paint off. Where the name/number has been rubbed of it will be shiny but a quick overspray in satin varnish solves that.

David

It always amuses me how some seem to think that any model of an industrial steam loco needs to be covered in a significantly large amount of filth to have "convincing realism" (whatever that is).  In truth the external condition of industrial steam locos varied and depended on such factors as their working environment, how hard they were required to work and whether or not their crew took a pride in their appearance.

The most important factor was probably whether it was an outdoors loco, working on a quarry or colliery site or whether it was a factory loco. My youthful memories of the Culter Paper Mill one was of a well looked after little Peckett with gleaming brasswork